Trying to find out more about my heritage: Lanni

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
14 posts • Page 1 of 1

Trying to find out more about my heritage: Lanni

Postby Sharon Lanni » 13 May 2013, 15:17

Hello my name is Sharon Lanni Petersheim. I am from Rochester New York. My father Albert M. Lanni was born in Hulberton, New York on March 13, 1919. His father was from Italy. His name was Michele Lanni. He came from we think the Campobasso region of Italy. It was said he was from Abruzzi. He came to America with one brother Leo Lanni at the age of 23 years old. I am the youngest child of my father's and the youngest grandchild of the Lanni family. My grandfather died when my father was a young boy, 13 years. I know very little about the Lanni family. Can you help me? I do know my grandfather is buried in the St. Mary's cemetery in Holley, New York. My grandfather, Michele Lanni was born May 7, 1879. He married my grandmother Mary Josephine Charles (Jessie) Lanni. Her date of birth March 12, 1883. My grandfather's brother, Leo moved to Syracuse, New York.
We were told my grandfather had brothers and sisters in Italy, but the two older boys were the only ones we knew of that came to America. Others may have come later or stayed in Italy. I would love to know more about my Dad's family. If you can help me, I appreciate it.
Sharon Lanni
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 May 2013, 15:03

Re: Trying to find out more about my heritage: Lanni

Postby Sharon Lanni » 13 May 2013, 18:52

I want to add: My great grandfather's name was Nicolo Lanni. He lived and died in Italy. He was a dairy farmer, I believe. He died in the year 1932 at the age of 96 years old. I do not know his wife's name, which would be my father's grandmother. It may have been Florence, as my father's oldest sisters name was Florence. My grandparents had a Florence and she passed at the age of four years. Later, they had my Aunt and named her Florence, as well. I do have one photo of my great grandfather, Nicolo Lanni. It of course, was taken in Italy in his later years. It was taken in a studio. He is all dressed up and he signed the bottom of it. I do not have much more than that.
Sharon Lanni
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 May 2013, 15:03

Re: Trying to find out more about my heritage: Lanni

Postby suanj » 13 May 2013, 18:59

Hi by this record, Michele was born in 1877:
U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Michele Lanni
Name: Michele Lanni
County: Orleans
State: New York
Birth Date: 7 May 1877
Race: White
wife Jessie Lanni..
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
 
Posts: 11239
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 01:00
Location: Molise region, Italy

Re: Trying to find out more about my heritage: Lanni

Postby Sharon Lanni » 13 May 2013, 19:06

Yes, these are my grand parents! The birth year is off, but maybe misread due to the handwriting. I am trying to find out about his parents in Italy. I do not know much, except his father's name was Nicolo or Nicola Lanni. He was a farmer and lived to be, I believe 96 years old. He died I think in 1932. I do not know the town my grandfather was from. It may be Campobasso or somewhere near there. I do not have any living relatives that would have any information. I would like to take a trip to Italy next year with my children and any information would be beneficial.
Sharon Lanni
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 May 2013, 15:03

Re: Trying to find out more about my heritage: Lanni

Postby suanj » 13 May 2013, 19:21

by the public genealogic tree on ancestry.com the birthplace is: Ripabottoni town, Campobasso province, Molise region, Italy:
Michael (Michele) Lanni
Birth 7 MAY 1877 in Ripabottoni, Molise, Campobasso, Italy
Death 15 MAR 1932 in Orleans County, New York

suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
 
Posts: 11239
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 01:00
Location: Molise region, Italy

Re: Trying to find out more about my heritage: Lanni

Postby Sharon Lanni » 13 May 2013, 19:35

Thank you! Does it have his parents names? My grandfather's father was Nicolo or Nicola Lanni. Also, can you tell me,how do I find out if I have living relatives now in Italy?
Sharon Lanni
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 May 2013, 15:03

Re: Trying to find out more about my heritage: Lanni

Postby Sharon Lanni » 13 May 2013, 20:50

Can you tell me any information about my grandmother Mary Josephine Charles Lanni. They called her Jessie. I know she came to America at the age of 5 years. She and her mother went to Milwaukkee, Wisconsin and then settled in upstate New York near Holley, New York. Her mother's name was Teresa Belmont Chalres. I do not know her father's name, and he most likely changed his last name to Charles. I do not know what it was before that.
My grandmother's birth date was March 12, 1883. I do not know her date of death, I think maybe around 1955 or 1956, I am not sure. She is buried in St. Mary's cemetery in Holley, New York.
Sharon Lanni
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 May 2013, 15:03

Re: Trying to find out more about my heritage: Lanni

Postby suanj » 14 May 2013, 15:59

Sharon Lanni wrote:Hello my name is Sharon Lanni Petersheim. I am from Rochester New York. My father Albert M. Lanni was born in Hulberton, New York on March 13, 1919. His father was from Italy. His name was Michele Lanni. He came from we think the Campobasso region of Italy. It was said he was from Abruzzi. He came to America with one brother Leo Lanni at the age of 23 years old. I am the youngest child of my father's and the youngest grandchild of the Lanni family. My grandfather died when my father was a young boy, 13 years. I know very little about the Lanni family. Can you help me? I do know my grandfather is buried in the St. Mary's cemetery in Holley, New York. My grandfather, Michele Lanni was born May 7, 1879. He married my grandmother Mary Josephine Charles (Jessie) Lanni. Her date of birth March 12, 1883. My grandfather's brother, Leo moved to Syracuse, New York.
We were told my grandfather had brothers and sisters in Italy, but the two older boys were the only ones we knew of that came to America. Others may have come later or stayed in Italy. I would love to know more about my Dad's family. If you can help me, I appreciate it.

I will search abt Michele parents...
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
 
Posts: 11239
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 01:00
Location: Molise region, Italy

Re: Trying to find out more about my heritage: Lanni

Postby suanj » 14 May 2013, 16:02

On the genealogic tree, Michele Lanni parents was:
Nicola Lanni and Filomena Paduano
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
 
Posts: 11239
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 01:00
Location: Molise region, Italy

Re: Trying to find out more about my heritage: Lanni

Postby suanj » 14 May 2013, 16:05

Sharon Lanni wrote:Can you tell me any information about my grandmother Mary Josephine Charles Lanni. They called her Jessie. I know she came to America at the age of 5 years. She and her mother went to Milwaukkee, Wisconsin and then settled in upstate New York near Holley, New York. Her mother's name was Teresa Belmont Chalres. I do not know her father's name, and he most likely changed his last name to Charles. I do not know what it was before that.
My grandmother's birth date was March 12, 1883. I do not know her date of death, I think maybe around 1955 or 1956, I am not sure. She is buried in St. Mary's cemetery in Holley, New York.

Jessie Maria (Maria Giuseppa Ciarla) Charles
Birth MAR 1884 in Ripabottoni, Molise, Province of Campobasso, Italy
Death 1955 in Orleans County, New York


daughter of:

Thomas (Domenico Ciarla) Charles
Birth 1852 in Ripabottoni, Molise, Province of Campobasso, Italy
Death 12 JUL 1899 in Orleans County, New York


and of:
Maria Teresa "Grace" Belmonte
Birth 18 FEB 1857 in Ripabottoni, Molise, Province of Campobasso, Italy
Death 18 MAY 1946 in Murray, Orleans County, New York

suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
 
Posts: 11239
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 01:00
Location: Molise region, Italy

Re: Trying to find out more about my heritage: Lanni

Postby suanj » 14 May 2013, 16:22

The Charles/Ciarla family in 1905 census:
Frank Ciarla oldest son with wife Kate and Teresa daughter and Thomas son;
Teresa Charles widowed with childrens: Lena, Mary, james, Minnie

Image

1900 census:
1900 United States Federal Census about Grace Charles
Name: Grace Charles
Age: 42
Birth Date: Feb 1858
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1900: Murray, Orleans, New York
Race: White
Gender: Female
Immigration Year: 1890
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Widowed
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Mother: number of living children: 6
Mother: How many children: 11
Occupation: View on Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Grace Charles 42 (Teresa)
Frank Charles 21
Jessie Charles 16
Lena Charles 8
Mary Charles 7
James Charles 3
Minnie Charles 1

suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
 
Posts: 11239
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 01:00
Location: Molise region, Italy

Re: Trying to find out more about my heritage: Lanni

Postby MarcoG » 14 May 2013, 22:29

Hey :) I got some origin information about the Lanni Family. Here it is.

The surname Lanni is of Italian Origin and has a Coat of Arms!

First found in Brescia (or anciently Brixia) in Lomardy, capital of the province of Brescia. The Pizza del Museois the main feature of the town and marks the site of the Forum. Vespasian erected the Capitoleum in 73 A.D. It contains the famous bronze statue of Vistory. The convent of S.Salvatore is also notable, founded by Desiderius, King of Lombardy. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry. Spelling variations of this family name include: Lana, Lano, Lani, Lanni, Lanata, Lanaro, Lanario, Lane, Lancca and many more.

Some of the first settlers of this family name were:

Lanni Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century

Joseph Lanni, who landed in Jamaica in 1742

Contemporary Notables of the name Lanni

Arnold David Lanni (b. 1956), Canadian record producer
James Lanni (b. 1962), Canadian professional hockey player
Joseph Terrence Lanni (1943-2011), as the former American Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of MGM Mirage
Robert Lanni (b. 1952), American professional football player

Here is the Lanni Coat of Arms:
http://www.houseofnames.com/product/Fam ... +-+300+DPI

Hope this interests or helps you.
MarcoG
 

Re: Trying to find out more about my heritage: Lanni

Postby MarcoG » 15 May 2013, 00:13

MarcoG wrote:
Here is the Lanni Coat of Arms:
http://www.houseofnames.com/product/Fam ... +-+300+DPI


http://www.historicalnames.com/HONLoade ... nni_IT.jpg

sorry here it is, not the other link
MarcoG
 

Re: Trying to find out more about my heritage: Lanni

Postby Essgee » 11 Oct 2013, 18:50

Sharon...

All in Ripabottoni, Campobasso, Molise:
Michele Lanni was born 1 May 1877 to
Nicola Lanni, age 32 and to his wife
Filomena Paduano

Nicola Maria Lanni was born on 9 March 1844 to
Domenico Antonio Lanni, age 32, and to his wife
Maria Del Vecchio, age 25

Filomena Maria Paduano was born 8 Feb 1840 to
Giuspeppe Paduano age 27 and to his wife
Maria Incoronata Virgilio.

Nicola Maria Lanni, age 20 married Filomena Maria Paduano, age 21, on 4 Feb 1865.

Giuspee Leonardo Paduano, age 26 and son of Diodato Paduano and Rebecca Colasurdo married Maria Incoronata Virgilio, daugher of Francesco Virgilio and Fabia Ciarla on 21 Mar 1838.

Hope this helps. Will look for more.

Susan
User avatar
Essgee
Master
Master
 
Posts: 777
Joined: 12 Mar 2004, 01:00


14 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], trevisan2 and 15 guests

Copyright © 2014. www.ItalianGenealogy.com.