Italian/Latin Translation Help Needed

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Italian/Latin Translation Help Needed

Postby rp76226 » 14 May 2013, 04:10

I found a church marriage record from 1811 of my oldest known paternal relatives. It was on two book pages at the church in Racalmuto, Sicily that I visited last week. Would someone please interpret it in its entirety. Here are the two links:

http://postimg.org/image/545ywmvfn/

http://postimg.org/image/bef0ouz07/
rp76226
Elite
Elite

Re: Italian/Latin Translation Help Needed

Postby PippoM » 14 May 2013, 08:39

I can't understand all the words and can't be so accurate; anyway, it follows the usual template of marriage records. Marriage of Salvadore di Puma and Maria Rosa Carlino took place on April 28th, 1811. After publishing banns for three consecutive days between solemn Masses, and getting no impediment about the marriage, the priest Nicola xxx (can't understand his surname), by licence granted by the Economo (don't know if this is role of the priest who has in charge the Parish) asked Salvadore di Puma son of the deceased (if I'm correctly reading a "q" before the name) Gaetano, and of the living Sebastiana Ippolito (I'm not sure, as I can't read the word between "Ippolito" and "jug"="jugalibus"="spouses"), from this town, and Maria Rosa Carlino, daughter of Giovanni and Vincenza Barone, from this town, about their mutual consent, and after getting it, joined them in marriage, in the presence of the witnesses Calogero di Puma and Gaetano Macaluso. In the end, they were blessed by the priest Carmelo Troisi.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical searches in Italy.
Translation of your old documents and letters.
Legal assistance for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 14 May 2013, 11:50

The word which Pippo couldn't read before jug. is olim which means "at one time"-in other words, they were spouses when Gaetano was alive. He was deceased at the time of the marriage, and the mother was living, as Pippo said.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby rp76226 » 14 May 2013, 14:41

Thanks to both of you for your help. I have a follow up question about the name Salvadore di Puma. Is that the Latin version of Salvatore Puma? In other future, official Italian civil records about the death of their children, he is always listed as Salvatore Puma, not Salvadore di Puma. On the other hand, in birth records of his children, which I can only find on the Mormon site as a Family Search document, not an Italian civil record nor church record, he is listed as Salvadore di Puma. His wife, however, on all documents is always listed the same - Maria Rosa Carlino.
rp76226
Elite
Elite

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy