Information on Great Grandfather

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Information on Great Grandfather

Postby mtonchells1 » 16 May 2013, 09:38

Hi l am looking for information re my great grandfather who arrived in Australia probably not directly April 1881 - his occupation on 2 of the marriage certs l have found was a Miner so l expect he came her during the goldrush! He left Italy from Napoli and l am aware he left a family behind. Does anyone know where l may locate departure records from the 1880's in Italy? He cam from the Ville Di Torano Parish San Lorenzo in the Valtellina Region of Sondrio Lomabrdia - this information was handed down to me by an aunt that tried to trace his steps to Australia over 10 years ago so l am hoping as time has gone on obtaining records may have become easier?
mtonchells1

Re: Information on Great Grandfather

Postby Italysearcher » 17 May 2013, 19:13

I don't believe there are departure records from Italy. If you know the town he came from it should be easy to request his birth record. With luck it will indicate who he married.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby mtonchells1 » 19 May 2013, 12:54

Thank you yes he came from VILLA DI TIRANO l have a few records that my aunt had been given by a researcher many years ago and just now success on another post with someone finding other records. The vessel he states he arrived on in Melb Aust was the Cliso or Glasco l have been unable to find records to match this here also. This information l found from Naturalization papers when he applied for them 22 years after arriving in Aust. I have marriage doc but it seems the wife and daughters staying in Italy and never joined him. :-(
mtonchells1

Postby mtonchells1 » 22 May 2013, 22:52

Have located the ship my grandfather arrived on which was the Cuzco it seems it made several trips to Australia from the UK and one of the stops was the port of Napoli! Unfortunatly it seems my grandfather was of the poorer class travelled as one of the steerage passengers to which there is no record of their names.
At least l can now rule out an alternate route and look into his family more.
mtonchells1

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy