Need help with the name Lippello or Lippiello it was changed

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Need help with the name Lippello or Lippiello it was changed

Postby JLippello » 22 Feb 2005, 10:08

Hi, i began looking up our family for my pap, we know that his dad Pietro(pete) and mom Antonetta(Mary) were both born in Italy (maybe Avellino or around Naples) in 1891-92. Thats about all i know other than that they came to the us maybe 1920's or 30's.We dont know any other names like parents , even mothers maiden name or any other relatives besides these 2 and were wondering how to go about finding them.If anyone can help we would greatly appreciate it.
JLippello

Re: Need help with the name Lippello or Lippiello it was cha

Postby wldspirit » 22 Feb 2005, 14:51

There are 80+ persons in Avellino with surname Lippiello...
http://www.paginebianche.it/pb/cerca?bt ... =&cc=&cf=&

There are form letters for potential relatives in Italian if you are interested in writing inquiries........

Have you tried locating ship manifest........which may or may not list a relatives name. Also naturalization and citizenship papers will list key infos.

wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby Essgee » 22 Feb 2005, 16:29

Found this that might help:

1930 Census of Pittsburgh, Allegheny, PA
ED 2-17, page 19A

Lippello, Pete, age 38, married at 20, born Italy, arrived 1914, naturalized, proprietor, grocery store
--------, Mary, age 39, married at 21, born Italy, arrived 1914, naturalized
--------, Rose, age 18, born Italy, arrived 1914, naturalized, clerk, grocery store.
--------, Thomas, age 11, born PA
--------, Philomena, age 9, born PA
--------, Carmella, age 7, born PA
Maicholpi, Bert, age 40, roomer, born Italy

1920 census of Pittsburg, Allegheny Co., PA
ed-339, page 2B
Lieppeillo, Pietro, age 29, arrived 1912, alien, born Italy, laborer in steel mill.
----------, Antonetta, age 30, arrived 1915, alien, born Italy
----------, Rosa, age 7, arrived 1915, alien, born Italy
----------, Thomas, age 11 months, born PA

Thomas Lippello born 25 Jan 1919, died 20 Dec. 2004
(I am sorry for the recent loss)

Pietro Lipiello arrived NY on April 10, 1913, age 22, left wife Maria Picciocchi in Baiano, Avellino, on way to anoOhio to meet Antonio De Gennaro, his uncle. The ship was the Princess Irene

Cannot find the record for Antonetta (Maria) and Rosa. But the name Picciocchi is also from the town of Baiano. The civil records for the town--birth, death, marriage records---are on microfilm and can be rented at the Family History Library near to you. Go to www.familysearch.org and see what is avialable. The records cover from 1809 to 1899 in this instance so you can get back a number of generations.

Also not that Pete was naturalized between 1920 and 1930. In 1920 he is listed as an Alien...meaning he had not yet started the paperwork for naturalization. So chances are somewhere between 1920 and 1930 he applied and you can ge the declaration of intent, the petition of naturalization and then a copy of the final paperwork. These will tell you place of birth, maybe the names of parents, etc.

Good luck and keep us informed.......
Essgee
Master
Master

Postby JLippello » 22 Feb 2005, 19:33

Thank you so much for your help..i wasnt sure about how to find out the info because most of the relatives stayed in Italy as far as i know.But you have already helped so much because now i know a uncles name De Gennaro that we never heard of.Hopefully this is just the beginning. :D
JLippello

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy