*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

Marchese from Palermo, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Marchese from Palermo, Italy

Postby cmm » 27 May 2013, 22:57

Tyring to find out more information on my fathers side of the family. Specifically, my Grandfather Anthony Marchese's parents. I think my Great grand fathers name was Leonard Marchese and I think he married my great grand mother who's last name was Petruso. I am not completely sure if my great grand parents came from Palermo as they could have perhaps come out of Partinico, Italy. But I remember Palermo being spoken of when my grand fathers name come up.I am also curious if there were more than 3 children. I only have information on my grand father Anthony, my great uncle Salvatore and my great aunt Cahtherine. Any information would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

History that I do have on my grand father Anthony Marchese and is siblings:
Anthony had a brother, Salvatore and a sister Catherine Marchese. All three immigrated from Palermo, Italy through Ellis Island and remained in the Bronx, NY area.
Anthony DOB 2/5/1891, DOD 1/12/1969. Married Angelina Buscio
Salvatore DOB 1883, DOD 1963. Never married
Catherine DOB 12/8/1881, DOD 1/31/1946. Married Frank Cilluffo
cmm

Re: Marchese from Palermo, Italy

Postby erudita74 » 28 May 2013, 01:16

cmm wrote:Tyring to find out more information on my fathers side of the family. Specifically, my Grandfather Anthony Marchese's parents. I think my Great grand fathers name was Leonard Marchese and I think he married my great grand mother who's last name was Petruso. I am not completely sure if my great grand parents came from Palermo as they could have perhaps come out of Partinico, Italy. But I remember Palermo being spoken of when my grand fathers name come up.I am also curious if there were more than 3 children. I only have information on my grand father Anthony, my great uncle Salvatore and my great aunt Cahtherine. Any information would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

History that I do have on my grand father Anthony Marchese and is siblings:
Anthony had a brother, Salvatore and a sister Catherine Marchese. All three immigrated from Palermo, Italy through Ellis Island and remained in the Bronx, NY area.
Anthony DOB 2/5/1891, DOD 1/12/1969. Married Angelina Buscio
Salvatore DOB 1883, DOD 1963. Never married
Catherine DOB 12/8/1881, DOD 1/31/1946. Married Frank Cilluffo

Do you have a copy of Anthony and Angelina's marriage record? Their parents' names should be on that, although possibly misspelled-

Marchese Anofrio Jan 25 1919 Bronx record #295
Buscio Angelina Jan 25 1919 record #295 Bronx

To order a copy, if you don't have it-
http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vi ... iage.shtml

His World War I draft registration card shows Palermo as his place of birth. Just don't know if it refers to the province of Palermo or the city itself

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1136782582

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 28 May 2013, 02:24

Partinico is given as his last residence as well as his place of birth on his June 24,1907 passenger list.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby cmm » 28 May 2013, 23:52

Thank you so much and will try to obtain a copy of their marriage certificate from NYC.
cmm

Postby erudita74 » 29 May 2013, 02:33

Another record which should have a place of birth and parents' names would be the application for a social security card-

Anthony Marchese, "United States Social Security Death Index"
Given Name: Anthony
Middle Name:
Surname: Marchese
Name Suffix:
Birth Date: 5 February 1891
Social Security Number: 067-10-0168
State: New York
Last Place of Residence: Bronx, New York
Previous Residence Postal Code: 10467
Event Date: January 1969

Here's information on how to obtain the application:
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/118
http://www.ssa.gov/foia/request.html

BTW, there are some online records for Partinico at familysearch.org under Continental Europe. I don't see Onofrio's 1891 birth record there though. Also there are some online church records and I did not see a baptism record for him, at least in the parish whose records are online.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy