Lastname Lupi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Lastname Lupi

Postby Katerinaki » 28 May 2013, 20:30

Hello i'm originally from Greece.My mother's lastname is Lupi.My great grand father said that our ancestors come from Italy,but he didn't know from which part of Italy.Two months ago a couple called my grandparents,from Crete.They found their number from the yellow pages,asking them if they had any idea about the origin of the lastname.They did not know what to answer.So i just wanted to ask here.Is it really Italian?Does anybody know from which town or province of Italy it originates from?

Thank you in advance
Katerina!
Katerinaki

Re: Lastname Lupi

Postby paola52 » 29 May 2013, 12:09

:D Hi Katerina
Yes Lupi is an Italian surname, mostly found in central Italy
If you follow this link you'll see where Lupi families live today
http://www.cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cognomi-italiani/LUPI
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan
paola52
Veteran
Veteran

Postby erudita74 » 29 May 2013, 12:10

Katerinaki wrote:Hello i'm originally from Greece.My mother's lastname is Lupi.My great grand father said that our ancestors come from Italy,but he didn't know from which part of Italy.Two months ago a couple called my grandparents,from Crete.They found their number from the yellow pages,asking them if they had any idea about the origin of the lastname.They did not know what to answer.So i just wanted to ask here.Is it really Italian?Does anybody know from which town or province of Italy it originates from?

Thank you in advance
Katerina!

Lupi is the plural of the Italian word Lupo which means wolf. There are currently 3111 in Italy with the surname. You can see on this link how it is currently diffused throughout Italy
http://www.cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cognomi-italiani/LUPI

As to the origin of the surname-according to the late Prof Joseph G Fucilla in his book entitled Our Italian Surnames-

Lupo can be either of Latin, Germanic, or Spanish origin. Hispanic Lopez with an accent on the o was Latinized into Lupus and Italianized into Lupo. Luppi (spelled with two L's) is from Genoa.

Erudita

Sorry to have duplicated the link given to you by Paola52. We hit the submit button simultaneously, it seems.
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby Katerinaki » 29 May 2013, 20:00

Thanks to both of you :)

I checked the site that you recommended,and it's funny how there are so many of them.
In Greece they are not even close to 100 people,and they exist mainly in the Peloponnese,Rhodes,Kalymnos,Crete and Athens.

My idea is that probably because Crete and Rhodes,were colonies of the Venecians for many centuries,this is probably how that unknown mysterious ancestor came in.and maybe what my great grandfather was talking about,is information that have passed from generation to generation? who knows?
Katerinaki

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy