Carlo Costa-Zana

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mjc

Carlo Costa-Zana

Post by mjc »

I am looking for information on my grandfather, Carlo Costa-Zana. He was born on 4/03/1902 in either San Giagio, Piemonte, or Cuceglio, Torino. His father was Jacamo (Giecomo) Costa-Zana and mother, Madeline Pastor-Riss. A Manifest shows Carlo arriving in the USA in 1920. I would appreciate any details in including the marriage of his parents. We believe his mother was Swiss.
Thank you in advance.
mjc

Re: Carlo Costa-Zana

Post by mjc »

Wow - I am having no luck finding any information about Grandpa Carlo and his family in Italy. If anyone has a thought - please let me know. I have found another spelling for his mother "Maddelina Pasto Reise", born in Italy. His father "Giacomo Costa Zano" born in 1738 in Ducati di Parma, Romagna Italy. His mother is where I am hitting a dead-end.
Thank you
mjc

Post by mjc »

I should mention that when the family came to the USA, they went by the last name of Zana. In Italy, it was a double last name without the hyphen.
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

Hello MJC,
I live in the area and all the names and places you mentioned are familiar to me.
Correct Italian spellings are "Costa Zana" and "Pastor Ris" as surnames; "Giacomo" and "Maddalena" (and "Carlo", obviously) as first names; San Giorgio (Canavese) and Cuceglio as places.
Now, however San Giorgio Canavese and Cuceglio are very close to each other, I'd bet your roots are in Cuceglio: both Costa Zana and Pastor Ris are surnames absolutely typical of that village (about 1000 residents today).
Some years ago I met some American people who came and visit Cuceglio to find their roots and relatives: if I correctly remember, the places of their ancestors' first emigration in the US was Leechburg, Pennsylvania. Does that ring any bell? I'm asking because I seem to remember - I should check better - they too had the surname Zana in their family tree.
Let me know if there's something more I can do for you or if you have other questions on this area I can try and answers.
Hope this helps.
Ciao,
Maurizio
mjc

Post by mjc »

Hello Maurizio,
OK - let's see how old you are. Carlo, his wife Effisia (Quillico) and daughter Madeline travelled to Italy to see family in 1937. Assuming you are younger that that, my sister Celeste Camagna travelled to Italy a few years ago. Madeline Costa Zana was our mother. Carlo immigrated to Leechburg, Pennsylvania in 1920 and that is where Madeline was born.
Either way, you have a remarkable memory. Thank you,
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

Hello, Mjc.
I'm too younger for the 1937's trip, but old enough for the one your sister did a few years ago. Unfortunately, it's not her I had the chance to meet but another Zana family: they were/are about the same generation of your mother (from what I can understand) and they still lived in Leechburgh. I have a picture of them that I'm sending you via Private Message, where it's probably better we keep on our conversations on this subject, in case you are interested.
Ciao,
Maurizio