Notte and Palumbo family from Castelpetrose

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Donandjan

Notte and Palumbo family from Castelpetrose

Post by Donandjan »

Need help with family of Teodoro Palumbo and Maria Notte from Castelpetrose. Born Approx 1850-1870. Teodoro may have gone by Theodoro or Addalorato. They had at least 2 sons named Enrico Palumbo (born 1893) and Olindo Palumbo (born 1895) both who settled in Pittsburgh, PA. Olindo married Pierina Notte ( also from Castelpetrose born 1898).
Any help with dates, parents names and additional siblings would be greatly appreciated.
I also search on Ancestry.com and on familysearch.com with little results. Please let me know if there is another way to access Castelpetrose records. Thanks Jan Palumbo
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Notte and Palumbo family from Castelpetrose

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG there are records on film at your local Family History Center of Castelpetroso (Campobasso)1809-1899. Ufficio dello stato civile
Births, deaths, marriages, banns, marriage documents, miscellaneous documents, citizenship records.

Include indici parziali.
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/440397

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Donandjan

Post by Donandjan »

Thanks Marty. It was great to great all the file numbers so quickly.

Jan
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Post by joetucciarone »

Hi Jan,

The family name "Notte" in your post caught my eye.

In 1880, my great-grandfather Domiano Misisca began working in the coalfields in Hubbard, Ohio, which is just 45 miles from Pittsburgh. Domiano's hometown was Agnone, a little over 20 miles from Castelpetrose. Apparently, Misisca was a difficult name for his Hubbard neighbors to spell & pronounce, so in 1900 he began using the surname "Note", but nobody in my family knows why he chose that name!

Joe
Donandjan

Post by Donandjan »

Joe,

Notte seemed to be a prominent name in Castelpetrose. Even today, I think some gov't officials have that name on their website. When I searched the name, I also got some other meanings in Italian. I could not read them, but I could tell it had other purposes.
I do not have any Misisca members I my family, but our great grandfather's middle initial is D. and I suspect in is for Dominick..or Domiano.

The Palumbo's had some weird names in their family. They literally seem Greek. I have found names like Castabile, Amabile, Quinibale. I also found someone named Addolorato, but I think that was because it was the patron saint in the area. Our great Uncle, Olindo, was one of the few that did not Americanize his name.
Keep tracking this forum, maybe someone knows the connection.