*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

Records relating to Notary Occupation - Campania

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Records relating to Notary Occupation - Campania

Postby alcalz » 10 Jun 2013, 04:56

Hi,

In doing research on my ancestors, I've discovered that two ancestors were notaries in the province of Salerno in Campania. They were Erberto Calzaretta, notary from the 1750s to 1806 in Oliveto Citra and Antonio Cantalupo, who was active in the early 1800s in Campagna.

I'm aware that the notarial acts that they produced are all preserved in the State Archives in Salerno.

Would there be any records relating to their becoming qualified to be notaries?
Is there a description anywhere of the requirements that someone had to meet in order to become a notary in the 1750 - 1850 time period?

Thank you

Alex Calzareth
alcalz

Re: Records relating to Notary Occupation - Campania

Postby erudita74 » 17 Jun 2013, 03:07

alcalz wrote:Hi,

In doing research on my ancestors, I've discovered that two ancestors were notaries in the province of Salerno in Campania. They were Erberto Calzaretta, notary from the 1750s to 1806 in Oliveto Citra and Antonio Cantalupo, who was active in the early 1800s in Campagna.

I'm aware that the notarial acts that they produced are all preserved in the State Archives in Salerno.

Would there be any records relating to their becoming qualified to be notaries?
Is there a description anywhere of the requirements that someone had to meet in order to become a notary in the 1750 - 1850 time period?

Thank you

Alex Calzareth

There are some books on googlebooks.com which can be previewed online. One of these is a book called Professional Men, Professional Women: The European Professions from the 19th century until Today written by Maria Malatesta. On page 18, she states that "the notary occupied a subsidiary position to judges and lawyers in the European legal field. In Italy... practice as a notary used to be possible without a degree in law; it sufficed to have taken some law examinations and to have served an internship concluding with a final exam...compulsory possession of a law degree was introduced in 1913... You can read the rest of the page, if you care to.

There is another book which this author edited called Society and the Professions in Italy, 1860-1914. Chapter 3 by Marco Santoro is the part you want to read. It seems that Marco Santoro has written a book specifically about the notary profession in Italy called Notai. Storia sociale di una professione in Italia (1861-1940). In this chapter 3, you'll find some historical info about the notary profession in Italy.

Another book you can preview on google books-Italian Genealogical Records: How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical ...read page 14

Hopefully you will find the answers to your questions in these sources.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy