At a dead end

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
21 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Re: At a dead end

Postby mfjp » 26 Feb 2005, 21:47

Essgee you're right! Thanks! :oops:
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby Sher » 26 Feb 2005, 22:08

The family lived and worked in both Dawson and Raton (10 miles away), New Mexico. To my understanding they were masons.

As for the "step-children" in 1930, Vincenzo's wife was previously married to Carlo Ramunno, who died in the Dawson coalmine explosion in 1913. When he died, my greatgrandmother was pregnant with Carlo (married Vincenzo while still pregnant).

mfjp, that is 'uncle" Frank in the 1900 census. I don't believe that Vincenzo was coming to visit him while he was ill though. Frank went back to Italy and returned to USA again in 1905. Vincenzo did not come over until 1906. For a while Frank came and went. In 1921, I know that his wife and child came to the USA. Frank then stayed and died in Michigan.

I don't mean to sound dumb, but does anyone know what conjuctivitus is?

Thanks for all your help everyone. I'm really confused on both sides of my grandmother's family. I guess it was not meant to be easy :lol:
Sher

Postby mfjp » 26 Feb 2005, 22:15

Since, Essgee mentioned that MENO was the Dr.'s surname... and not part of the illness name... it is just Conjunctivitis...

It is an eye infection!! :roll: better this... than what I thought it might be...

The best advice is this...

Hi: the LSD microfilm are incomplete...I council you, about Vincenzo Bisconti , to send an request for search in birthregistries in Pianella Common, info@comune.pianella.pe.it
regards, suanj

mfjp :D
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 27 Feb 2005, 06:05

The civil records for Pianella are on microfilm at the Family History Library. You can find the birth record for Vincenzo and all family members and go back to 1809 for births, marriages and deaths.

They are in Italian, but can be read with a translation dictionary. This is one of the best ways for getting original copies of the records. Go to www.familysearch.org and in the right hand column, search for places...and you can also locate the library nearest to your home.

At first they are hard to read because of both language and handwriting. But after time, they become very readible. Two books...one by Trafford Cole called Italian Genealogical Records and one by Lynn Nelson called Discovering Your Italian Ancestors can aid you in your search. Needless to say, people here are always willing to help.

As Suanj points out, the birth records are not filmed completely to 1900. So if you can obtain by mail a birth record from Pianella for Vincenzo, you should then be able to get the marriage records for his parents and most probably their birth records will be recorded in the Pubblicazioni for the marriage banns.

So, obtain the birth record for Vincenzo by writing as Suanj suggests. Also, ask for a birth EXTRACT and not a birth CERTIFICATE. The certificate gives the name fo the baby and the date of birth...nothing else. The extract will include the parents names and other info. This is the one you want.

Good luck
Essgee
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 27 Feb 2005, 17:22

Essgee offered really good advice too.

Sherri wrote..
I have not applied for his social security application yet. Thanks, that never entered in my thoughts! Did he have to be naturalized in order to have an application?

http://rootdig.com/ss5/ for info...

to search...

http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/ just enter the last name... since he has a variety of first names..
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 27 Feb 2005, 18:00

Quote:
I have not applied for his social security application yet. Thanks, that never entered in my thoughts! Did he have to be naturalized in order to have an application?

No, he did not.
Essgee
Master
Master

Previous

21 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Return to Italian Genealogy