Caminitti Surname & Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Caminitti Surname & Family

Post by cdar1231 »

Greetings to ItalianGenealogy Members/Users,

I'm looking for anyone who might be related through my paternal grandmother: Felicia Caminitti. I also welcome anyone who has knowledge about this family. I do have a bit of information but it's spotty. A brief summary of what i know:

Carmelo Caminiti, son of Filippo Caminitti and Felicia Gallo was born in San Filippo del Mela, Messina on 31 Jan 1886. He married Maria Facciola (17 Sept 1905 in Italy before coming to US) and together they had 7 children: Philip (who was born in San Filippo del Mela), Mildred (married DeVita), Felicia (my grandmother, married Ragonese), Josephine (married O'Connor & Townsend), Anita (married Franco), and Helen (married Mirrione). There was an additional child, Patrick, but he died in infancy. Except for Philip, all the children were born and grew up in Brooklyn, NY.

In addition, Carmelo had 2 brothers and 2 sisters: Domenico (married Maria Lopez), Francesco, Maria (married Eugenio Scotto -- or maybe Scotti), and Guiseppa.

Thank you in advance for all replies!

-chris (ragonese)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Caminitti Surname & Family

Post by Tessa78 »

In case you do not have a copy... here is the marriage record for Carmelo Caminiti and Maria Facciola in 1905

Groom was 19, a shoemaker, son of Filippo and of Felicia Gallo (as you stated)of San Filippo de Mela
Bride was 18, housewife, daughter of Pietro (residing in Messina) and of Carmela Ragno, of SFdM

Link to record
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=14215592

T.
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

T,

I do have that record but thank you so much for your reply! I greatly appreciate it.

-c
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Do you have the marriage publication 1881 of Filippo Caminitti age 22(1859) son of Domenico Caminitti age 53(1828) and deceased Maria Trifiro to marry Felicia Gallo age 22(1859)daughter of Francesco Saverio Gallo age 53(1828)and Maria Formica
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=14215608

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

No, I do not; that is a wonderful find. Thank you very much, Marty. I am very grateful!!
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Marty,

That cursive is a killer plus my Italian is only very basic. Would you be able and willing to tell me basically what the record says? There's quite a bit there but i can't really make much of it. I think i was able to see that the date was 28 March....

Thanks in advance and i completely understand if you are too busy!

-chris
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

This a marriage bann posted for 3 weekends so if there is anyone who opposed the marriage
INDEX#19
1881 March 28th before the civil official of San Filippo de Mela appeared Filippo Caminitti age 22 manufacturer residing in San Filippo de Mela son of Domencio Caminitti age 53 manufacturer residing in the same town and deceased Maria Trifiro to marry Felicia Gallo age 22 reaper daughter of Francesco Saverio Gallo age 53 farmhand and Maria Formica reaper they also resided in the same town
The bottom written part says Filippo's mother was deceased at the time of the marriage publication and his father gave his consent
The 2 witnesses Giuseppe Brigiano age 60 and Stanasio Toti age 60 witnessed the recording of the record and they signed the record with Filippo and the civil official

MArty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Marty,

Thank you so very much. Much obliged!

Best wishes to you,

-chris
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Francesco Saverio Gallo and Maria Formica
1855 June 22 in the town of San Filippo de Mela marriage of Francesco Saverio Gallo age 27 born in Malito,Calabria son of Benedetto Giacinto Gallo and Felicia Tunari?? married to Maria Formica age 24 born in San Filippo de Mela daughter of deceased Giuseppe Formica and Giuseppa Crisafulli

PG LINK 3 pages
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 9.jpg.html

Marriage of Domenico Caminitti and Maria Trifiro
INDEX#6
1855 June 26 in the town San Filippo de Mela marriage of Domenico Caminitti age 36 farmhand born in San Filippo son of Filippo Caminitti Water carrier and deceased Maria Amico married to Maria Trifiro age 35 weaver born in San Filippo daughter of deceased Francesco Trifiro and Serafina Ragno weaver

PG LINK 3 PGS
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Marty

Marty
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Laura,

Thank you very much. That board reference you provided is me... :-)

-chris
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Marty,

It is now clear why you are a master and i am just a newbie. I have dedicated my family tree research to my 4 grandparents to whom i was very close. After all these years, i knew the least about my beloved Grandma and with your help, i now have more on her family than any other branch. Thank you so much; i am so excited to share this information with my dad and two cousins who are also Carmelo Caminitti decendants. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Best wishes to you!!

-chris
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

These records are very faint with the page magnifier you can make it out but these are the birth records of 1858
Filippo Caminitti
PG LINK
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 1.jpg.html

Felicia Gallo
PG LINK
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Marty

Marty
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Thank you again, Marty. It IS quite faint but the real problem is reading it. I need more practice with that old fashion script....
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

deleted