Marabello Family of Furnari, Messina, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
newenglander1958

Marabello Family of Furnari, Messina, Sicily

Post by newenglander1958 »

I have been working on my family genealogy for some time and I am putting together a book of all the descendants of my great grandfather and great grandmother who came to Rhode Island from Italy. I am looking for information on the Marabello family. My great grandfather was named Francesco Marabello. He had a brother Natale, who came to America first. When Natale passed away his obituary also said he left a brother Carmelo of Italy behind. I believe that Francesco was the son of a Gaetano Marabello and a Rita Vitulli and Francesco was born in Furnari. I know he was married in Italy (not sure where) and that at least 6 of his children were born in Italy (but not sure where). My great grandmother Eliza was from Eboli. Her maiden name was Tartaglia. I cannot seem to find a lot of information on Marabello's living in Sicily. My Aunt and Uncle had the opportunity to go to Sicily years ago and they found very few in the Messina area. I am wondering if a lot of the family left Sicily after the earthquake of 1908.

Thanks for any input.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Marabello Family of Furnari, Messina, Sicily

Post by Tessa78 »

newenglander1958 wrote:I have been working on my family genealogy for some time and I am putting together a book of all the descendants of my great grandfather and great grandmother who came to Rhode Island from Italy. I am looking for information on the Marabello family. My great grandfather was named Francesco Marabello. He had a brother Natale, who came to America first. When Natale passed away his obituary also said he left a brother Carmelo of Italy behind. I believe that Francesco was the son of a Gaetano Marabello and a Rita Vitulli and Francesco was born in Furnari. I know he was married in Italy (not sure where) and that at least 6 of his children were born in Italy (but not sure where). My great grandmother Eliza was from Eboli. Her maiden name was Tartaglia. I cannot seem to find a lot of information on Marabello's living in Sicily. My Aunt and Uncle had the opportunity to go to Sicily years ago and they found very few in the Messina area. I am wondering if a lot of the family left Sicily after the earthquake of 1908.

Thanks for any input.
Welcome to the forum! Is this your GGF and his family in Bristol, RI in 1910?
The Mancini family in the census is listed as "Boarders"

Frank Marabello, "United States Census, 1910"
Name: Frank Marabello
Event Place: Bristol, Bristol, Rhode Island
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Relationship to Head of Household: Self
Immigration Year: 1906
Birthplace: Italy
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Household ID: 299
Page: 13
Household Gender Age Birthplace
SELF Frank Marabello M 46y Italy
WIFE Elizar Marabello F 43y Italy
DAU Caroline Marabello F 17y Italy
SON Getano Marabello M 15y Italy
DAU Wevina Marabello F 14y Italy
SON Antonio Marabello M 12y Italy
SON Carmine Marabello M 5y Italy
SON Natalle Marabello M 3y Italy
SON Carmel Marabello M y 18m Rhode Island
Severio Mancini M 25y Italy
Rita Mancini F 20y Italy
Ventous Mancini M y 2m Rhode Island

Do you have arrival manifests? Or any other US documents?

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

There is a public family tree on ancestry.com for Francesco Marabello
with info on it
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/7633281/ ... 2205?ssrc=
I think the kids were born in Eboli Salerno like Eliza Tartaglia

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

adelfio wrote:There is a public family tree on ancestry.com for Francesco Marabello
with info on it
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/7633281/ ... 2205?ssrc=
I think the kids were born in Eboli Salerno like Eliza Tartaglia

Marty
On this possible arrival manifest for Francesco Marabello, in October 1906, he lists his last residence as Eboli, and birthplace as Furnari (as poster stated :-) )
IN ADDITION, traveling with him is a daughter, Margherita, age 16, who lists her birthplace as FURNARI, as well.
Maybe after her birth (about 1890) the family moved to Eboli, and the other children were born there? Or maybe some of the children were born in Furnari...?

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Francesco Marabello
Name: Francesco Marabello
Arrival Date: 24 Oct 1906
Birth Date: abt 1864
Birth Location Other: formari
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Roma

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

After looking at that manifest saying Francesco Marabello going to see his sister GRAZIA MARABELLO looked up arrival of Grazia Marabello found this Grazia 1903 coming from Falcone going to see her brother Natale Marabello line #2
PG LINK
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0002

So Natale comes first Grazia then Francesco comes

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

adelfio wrote:After looking at that manifest saying Francesco Marabello going to see his sister GRAZIA MARABELLO looked up arrival of Grazia Marabello found this Grazia 1903 coming from Falcone going to see her brother Natale Marabello line #2
PG LINK
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0002

So Natale comes first Grazia then Francesco comes

Marty
Hi Marty!

Yes, I thought so as well. But then I came across an 1889 arrival for Francesco... it appears he sailed back :-) The arrival for Natale was, if I remember correctly, in 1893. Saw that on a naturalization index.

T.
maragene

Post by maragene »

My father, Matthew, was born in Messina, Sicily. His father's name was Natale and as far as I know, he never came to the US. My great grandfather's name was Carmello. My father was born in 1891. I understand that many records were destroyed in Messina due the earthquake. My family has all noticed that there were a large number of Marabello's from the Rhode Island area but never thought that there was any relationship. I have a tendency to believe that we are distant cousins. I hope this helped a little in your search for ancestors.
newenglander1958

First, Thanks for all the comments. Let me clear a few things up. This is what I know. Natale and Francesco were brothers (and they had a brother Carmello who stayed in Italy). I have learned that Natale was married to a woman named Maria and that he first came to America via New York. I found an ad in an old newspaper that lists his shoe making business as moving from New York. His wife's last name was Vasta. Francesco, his brother was married to a woman named Eliza and their oldest daughter was named Caroline but also listed as Grazia. There is some confusion on this.
newenglander1958

I do see the record of Grazia coming to America, with a brother but I am wondering if that is my family (it is the same town). I cannot access the public tree's in ancestry.com But has someone put a tree up that lists Francesco and Eliza and their children in Eboli? Is that where the children were born?
newenglander1958

I am still working on my family genealogy and this is what I have so far. I have info on Natale coming to the US through Ellis Island. He worked there for a while then moved to Bristol, RI where he set up a business (shoemaker). He was married and they adopted a boy. I now realize that Grazia has to be part of my family. She lists Natale as her brother when she arrives. She also seems to have a daughter, Antonia, who is 14 years old. She is a seamstress and widowed. Not sure why she has the last name Marabello but Antonia has no last name listed on the manifest. Then I see when Francesco come to the US, he is with his daughter Marguerite and the person listed as his contact is Grazia who is now living in Providence. By this time Natale is in Bristol so I think Francesco comes right to Bristol. His wife comes later with their other 6 children. There oldest son is born in Persano but I think they all came from the Eboli-Salerno area. A family member told me that Francesco left Sicily as part of Garibaldi's army. That is how he got to Eboli but I have not been able to confirm that. When Natale dies he lists only two brothers in his obit (1939), Francesco and Carmelo (of Italy). If his sister was still alive I would think she would have been listed. Still trying to find the connection in Sicily. I am now looking for the Marabello's and the Tartaglia's. My great grandmother's name was Eliza Tartaglia and on the shipping manifest she has a brother Vito, in Italy. So I am adding to the bigger picture all the time.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Heres some possible info on Eliza brother

Name:Vito Tartaglia
Arrival Date:9 Dec 1907
Birth Date:abt 1865
Birth Location:Salerno
Birth Location Other:colliano
Ethnicity/ Nationality:Italian
Port of Departure:Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival:New York, New York
Ship Name:Cretic

PG LINK
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... PUBJs=true

Archivio Salerno military registration

Nome: Vito Tartaglia
Classe: 1865 (birth year)
Comune di nascita: Colliano (birth town)
Full text: Vito Tartaglia son of Paolo Tartaglia and Cavallo Vittoria born 05/14/1865 in the town of Colliano occupation farmer

Marty

Marty