Help needed to start! De Iacovo, Masi, Brunella

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Ingvild

Help needed to start! De Iacovo, Masi, Brunella

Post by Ingvild »

I have a long family tree outlining my norwegian ancestors and I am keen to start tracing the roots of my husband and my children. I realise that this site seems to have many american users, but I figure I can tap into your experience and knowledge regardless. :) The italian side of the family have remarkably little information about their ancestors or relatives and I am struggling to put the pieces and lines together.

My Father in Law is Francesco De Iacovo, born in Taranto 23 november 1950.

Francescos parents were Domenico De Iacovo, born in Ginosa I think, 3 januar 1920 (died 15 june 1995, Taranto, Italy), and Carmela Masi, also born in Ginosa, 16 july 1929 (died 17 january 2009, Taranto, Italy).

Carmelas parents were Vito Masi (born 22 february 1905, possibly in Ginosa, died 30 december 1998 in Taranto) and Damiana Brunella (born 21 november 1907, possibly in Ginosa, died 23 july 1995 in Taranto)

Vitos parents were Francesco Masi and Dominica Passarelli. Damianas mother was Maria.

Domenicos parents are believed to be Francesco De Iacovo and Angela Triggiani. Both of Ginosa.

Can anyone help me with information on how to get started? Where do I search to find death/birth/marriage certificates from Ginosa? Domenico was in the war (WW2 I believe) where he damaged his hand badly and rendered it useless. Is there a way of finding military papers regarding him?

Any thoughts, suggestions, and comments are greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Ingvild
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Help needed to start! De Iacovo, Masi, Brunella

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
THe records of Ginosa and Taranto on film from Family History Library only go to the 1860's so you will have to write for records from the towns I would start with Domenico De Iacovo see how they respond
Ufficio Anagrafe
Comune di Ginosa
Piazza Marconi 1
74013 Ginosa (TA)
Italy

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore
Mi chiamo YOUR NAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Ginosa. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
L’individuo seguente è il mio antenato. Quanto segue è tutto ciò che so di questa persona:
Nome e cognome:Domenico De Iacovo
Data di nascita: 1920
Luogo di nascita:Ginosa
Nome e cognome del padre:Francesco De Iacovo
Nome e cognome della madre:Angela Triggiani
Potreste cercare di copia integrale dell'atto di nascita di questa persona nei vostri registri in 1920
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Ingvild

Post by Ingvild »

Marty,

Thank you so much for your reply. I found an email adress for the town comune and will try them there. Are they required to respond to these kinds of requests?

Where can I find the records that are on film that you mentioned?

Thank you so much!

Ingvild
Ingvild

Post by Ingvild »

Success!

I got the reply from the council! With the certificates from both nonno and nonna. However, it does not say the birth place of their parents. Where would this be recorded? They sent me the estratto di riassunto di nascita.

They are asking that further requests should be sent via post and not email. How can I ask them to search for each parent on each person they find? So I dont have to go back to them via post for each generation?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Im glad you got a response and your info you requested
One more generation than you can get the film records
The best way now is to send or look for marriage act for it will give info of the parents whom you are searching for then you can go to a Family History Library near your home for other records
FAMILY HISTORY LOCATOR
https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator
Italy, Taranto, Ginosa - Civil registration 1809-1861
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library
How old does it say the parents are?
Can you post the copies and I can help you with a letter for the parents marriage act

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Ingvild

Post by Ingvild »

Thank you again for your assistance. The document does not say how old the parents are. They sent me the Estratto per riassunto di atto di nascita. Perhaps it is not the right kind of document? Should it be the copia integrale dell'atto di nascita? What is the difference? Do you know?

I have done further detective work and found out that Francesco De Iacovo (the father of my nonno in law) passed away in 1924. His wife Angela Coponio passed away in 1953. We think she was 65 or 67 years old. So she would have been born around 1885 - 1887. Both were born in Ginosa, I am told.

They had 6 sons, first one born in 1912 and the last one born in 1926.

I have attached screenshots of the document they sent me.

Suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I asked for a copia integrale dell'atto di nascita maybe they cant copy only extract from there records
Who do you want to ask for now Francesco De Iacovo and Angela Caponio and Vito Masa and Damiana Brunella marriage acts give me a estimate of their ages at the time of the marriage

Marty

Marty
Ingvild

Post by Ingvild »

Do you have an example of a copia integrale? I would like to see the difference between the two. Perhaps they just sent the wrong one and did not read the request properly.

Francesco and Angela had their first son in 1912 (Felice) so I guess they might have been married in 1911 or some years before that.

Vito and Damiana is more difficult to estimate for. I only have the birth year for one of their 5 daughters. Carmela was born in 1929. Her father was then 24 years old. I guess they could have gotten married sometime between 1923 and 1928?

I am so grateful for all your assistance so far!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

OGGETTO: richiesta fotocopie dei integrale dell'atto di matrimonio di Francesco De Iacovo e Angela Caponio

Mi chiamo YOUR NAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Ginosa. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di matrimoni di queste persone:
Nome e cognome del marito: Francesco De Iacovo
Nome e cognome della moglie:Angela Caponio
Luogo di matrimonio:Ginosa
Data di matrimonio: dal 1905 fino al 1911
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

OGGETTO: richiesta fotocopie dei integrale dell'atto di matrimonio di Vito Masa and Damiana Brunella

La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di matrimoni di queste persone:
Nome e cognome del marito:Vito Masa
Nome e cognome della moglie:Damiana Brunella
Luogo di matrimonio:Ginosa
Data di matrimonio: dal 1922 fino al 1928
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Marty

Marty