Birth Certificate

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Birth Certificate

Postby Pedalino » 16 Jul 2013, 18:30

Hello and thank you for this amazing website!
I need to know how to find my grandfather's birth certificate. I have his record from Ellis Island showing he emigrated to the US in 1902 at the age of 3 from Recalmuto, Sicily. I am assuming he was born in Recalmuto. He emigrated with his uncle and cousins, also from Recalmuto. His name was Alfonso Pedalino, born probably in1899. I do not have the names of his parents, but he came with his maternal uncle, Angelo di Benedetto. Any information you can provide on how to obtain birth records From Recalmuto is greatly appreciated!
Pedalino

Re: Birth Certificate

Postby PippoM » 18 Jul 2013, 09:20

This should be him:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1063361987

He was born on August 29th, 1899 to Calogero (25 years, butcher) and Grazia di Benedetto.
Feel free to ask any other info in the document if you can't translate it.
Here are further registers for Racamuto:

https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D1946817

You can search by yourself, or we can do it for you. Let us know!
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical searches in Italy.
Translation of your old documents and letters.
Legal assistance for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 19 Jul 2013, 19:35

Great work Pippo
Did some looking don't think Calogero Pedalino and Grazia di Benedetto were married in Racalmuto If you look for a shipmanifest for them nothing comes up I wonder if something happen to them after the birth of Nicolo Pedalino thats that's why the kids came over with Calogero di Benedetto going to see Angelo Di Benedetto without there parents Also for the next 5yrs no more kids born in Racalmuto to Calogero Pedalino and Grazia di Benedetto
Birth record of Nicolo Pedalino
INDEX# 467
1900 Nov 4th in the town of Racamuto birth of Nicolo Pedalino
son of Calogero Pedalino 26 years, butcher and wife Grazia di Benedetto.
PAGE LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1063361987

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby Pedalino » 07 Aug 2013, 16:15

Wow, thanks Marty! That is really interesting. We do know that my great grandparents Calogero &Grazia came to NY at some point, but I also have never been able to find a record. It's unclear how long my grandfather lived with his uncle before his parents came over. On another note, I'm interested in obtaining an official birth certificate for my grandfather. I've downloaded directions from the consulate, but it says it must be filled out in Italian with a letter of request. Any advice on how to go about doing that? Unfortunately Italian stopped with my great grandparents, and is no longer spoken by anyone on the family.
Pedalino

Postby adelfio » 07 Aug 2013, 18:07

This the copy of Alfonso's birth record that Pippo left you. Are filing for Italian citizenship?
1899 Aug 29th in the town of Racalmuto birth of Alfonso Nicolo Pedalino son of Calogero 25 years, butcher and Grazia di Benedetto.
CLICK FOR BIRTH ACT CLICK TO ENLARGE TOP LEFT INDEX#376

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy