Cusimano Family In Castelbuono, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Cusimano Family In Castelbuono, Sicily

Post by adelfio »

Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Thank you! Is there anyway I could get a copy of page 2 for my records? I don't think the Ellis Island site allows that. Also, I was just reading that page. Are there any other passenger list records for Giuseppe Cusimano, since he had been here before? They were going to his grandmother, Santo's mother, Anna Coco. Is there a record available for her?
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

I just found another question. It says they were staying in the U.S. "forever", yet Santo's wife was still in Castelbuono. Is there a record for her trip?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

PG 2
CLICK ON IMAGE CLICK TO ENLARGE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Thank you very much! I was just doing a search on Ancestry.com. There is a 1930 US Census with a Joe Cusimano and mother Anna. Also seems to be 1910 and 1920 ones. Plus New York State 1925 censuses including one for a G??? Cusimano. I can't access any of these files because I don't have a paid subscription. Could any of these be this family? I could view a 1940 one, but it talked about different children than I'm familiar with and also a wife named Josephine, so I figure that one can't be the same family. I'm really wondering now how it is that I haven't already known of this family.
auntfeffie13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by auntfeffie13 »

I believe your rosa somehow ties into my cusimano line but have yet to find the exact connection. Rosa was listed on my great grandmother's (Antonia polimeo) immigration records as her aunt w/ Carmela cusimano being her mother. The problem is that neither Rosa's parents nor her husband Vincenzo's match w/ Carmela's (Giovanni cusimano & Antonia ?). I do have Carmela's birth record (1875) but do not read Italian. I'm thinking that maybe they're cousins of some sort. I would love to be in touch an figure out how we're related!
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

I sent you a private message on about the 21st about this. I don't know whether or not you might have seen it.
auntfeffie13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by auntfeffie13 »

I didn't. :(. My email is auntfeffie13@yahoo.com
auntfeffie13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by auntfeffie13 »

I didn't realize we had a mailbox on here. My bad! The image size I have for the records is small but I have the family search links if anyone could let me know what the record says. Siskojnash, I'll send you an email. :)

This is Carmela Cusimano's birth record.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n476749651

This is her marriage
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n735692532
auntfeffie13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by auntfeffie13 »

Above, I posted the birth and marriage record of my gg gm, Carmela cusimano. From what I was told (I don't read Italian), the marriage lists her parents as Giovanni cusimano & Antonia papa. If anyone could help me find a marriage record for them, I'd be very grateful! Carmela was born in 1875 if that helps for a time frame. I believe she connects to the rosa mentioned in some of the other messages but haven't figured out how. Thanks so much for any help in this matter! :)

Stephanie
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Could someone please help us to figure out whether or not there is a connection between Rose Marie Cusimano and Carmela Cusimano? Rose Marie's sister, Eleonora, was married to Tommaso Cusimano. I haven't traced his family. Maybe the connection could be there?
parkergambino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by parkergambino »

I am a direct descendant of (Nicolo Cusimano x Margherita Botta) of Castelbuono. I have researched the Cusimano's of Castelbuono, and have some idea of which Cusimano's I'm related to and which have no connection that I've discovered. MB's parents were (Angelo Botta x Maria Onorata). To my knowledge NCxMB had three children as shown below. Of course, many dates are approximate, due to the usual genealogical fuzziness about how old someone is reported to be when a certain event (marriage, death) occurs. Also, some of this account relies on info provided by Adelfio, whose work I hold in the highest esteem of trustworthiness.

I'm eager to share notes, maybe discover some relatives. I don't want to miss the next reunion!!
But first, please reveal how PippoM, aunteffie13, and siskojnash are descended into the grand Cusimano scheme?

Descendants of Nicolo Cusimano x Margherita Botta:

1. Angelo Cusimano 1836-1856; married Anna Gentile
2. Antonio Cusimano 1839-1877; married Anna di Napoli
sons Nicolo 1870, Angelo 1873, Tommaso 1877
3*. Anna Maria Cusimano 1845; married (in 1868) Domenico Bertola 1828-1898
*these are my great grandparents

Tommaso Cusimano was married 3 times:
1. x Antonia Barreca 1908; daughter Anna Cusimano 1909-1989
2. x Eleanora (not "Leonora") Cusimano 1913; daughter Vincenza Cusimano
3. x Rosalia Alaimo 1919;

---------------------------------------------------------------
The official docs are beset with several clerical errors, to straighten out right here and now:

In 1886 (Luigi Cusimano x Vincenza Castiglia) had a daughter, Eleanora, who died at 3 days old. Unfortunately, the marginal note about marriage to Tommaso Cusimano appears with the 1886 birth record. In 1887 (Luigi Cusimano x Vincenza Castiglia) had another daughter, named Eleanora; this would be the one who later married Tommaso. The 1887 birth document incorrectly identifies the mother as "Eleanora" Castiglia - should be Vincenza Castiglia.

--------------------------------------------------
Now a re-hash of the children of (Luigi Cusimano x Vincenza Castiglia) married 1879:

1. Rosa Cusimano 1882 marries Vincenzo Cusimano in 1904. Vincenzo is son of (Giuseppe Cusimano x Anna Coco); I have seen this piece of the Cusimano's discussed elsewhere in this thread. Anna Coco is referred to as "Coco Sferrino Anna" in the birth records of some of their children.
2. Eleonora Cusimano 1886-1886
3. Eleonora Cusimano 1887-1918 marries Tommaso Cusimano in 1913: child Vincenza Cusimano
4. Anna Maria Cusimano 1889 marries Giacchino Failla: child Annetta Failla
5. Santi Cusimano 1891 marries Antonia LoRe: children Carmelo, Vincenzo, Vincenza
6. Nicoletta 1894 (marries ??): children Angelina, Antonio
7. Vincenzo 1901 (marries ??): children Giuseppina, Ninetta, Vincenza (-2013), Luigi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The thread going back from Carmela Cusimano

Giovanni Cusimano (b 1846) x Antonia Papa (b 1849) married 7 August 1892
His parents: (Giuseppe Cusimano x Carmela Scacciaferro)
Her parents: (Vincenzo Papa x Concetta Mina)
Their children:
1. Vincenzo 1871-1892
2. Vincenza 1872
3. Carmela 1875 married Vincenzo Polimeo in 1896
4. Concetta 1879
5. Rosaria 1882-1883
6. Rosaria 1884
7. Vincenza 1887

A few apparent discrepancies; it seems that (Giovanni Cusimano x Antonia Papa) had all these kids and THEN got married after all of the births; also, no death note was found for Vincenza 1872, before Vincenza 1887. I'm also wondering if there was a child "Giuseppe" before Vincenzo; all 3 other grandparents (Carmela, Vincenzo, Concetta) are accounted for in the naming scheme, but not Giuseppe.

---------------------------------------------------

So, were Vincenzo Cusimano (b 1877) and Rosa Cusimano (b 1882) cousins? Let's look at their grandparents: for Rosa, her paternal grandparents (through Luigi) are (Santi Cusimano x Rosa Banno/Bondi/Bruno);
for Vincenzo, his paternal grandparents (through Giuseppe) are (Santi Cusimano x ??unknown??).
So it seems like Giuseppe and Santi COULD BE brothers - need to know Giuseppe's mother's name in order to verify; if they are, then Vincenzo and Rosa are first cousins. No wonder the marriage document for (Giuseppe Cusimano x Anna Sferrino Coco) is so coveted.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Now for Tommaso Cusimano (my relative): as mentioned at the beginning of this post, I can trace him back to his paternal grandfather Nicolo Cusimano, our shared ancestor. I have not discovered any other connection between this Nicolo and the other Cusimano lineages mentioned here; only Tommaso's marriage to Eleanora; they do not seem like first cousins as far as I can tell.
---------------------------------------------------
Finally, Carmela's connection to other Cusimano's? Well, Carmela had a younger sister Rosaria, so that could be Antonia Polimeo's "aunt Rosa" . But that Rosa is not the same as, nor is she apparently related to, the Rosa Cusimano daughter of (Luigi Cusimano x Vincenza Castiglia).
-----------------------------------------------------

If this thread is still going I'll find out soon enough, and then can share more details if desired. I will be happy to take messages directly at parkergambino@gmail.com

Parker Gambino
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

Hi.

Do you know anything about Giacchino Failla?
parkergambino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by parkergambino »

Athena

I see from this thread that there is at least one Pietro Failla in the mix.

One branch of my Castelbuono relatives lived for a while in Greenwich, Connecticut, eventually settling in Port Chester, New York. The godfather of my older cousin was named Pete Failla (a barber), and he is present in a wedding party photo of this cousin's parents.

Of possible interest to Marty, the groom in that wedding was Francesco Leta; Although the Leta family was based in Castelbuono, Francesco was born in Trabia. They also had a "summer house"? in Cefalú.

As previously mentioned, we can continue the discussion if you email me at parkergambino @gmail.com

Parker