Translation help please - STATI UNITI D'AMERICA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Translation help please - STATI UNITI D'AMERICA

Postby gliesian66 » 29 Jul 2013, 14:27

Can someone please translate the following document for me (2 pages - front and back)?

http://gliesian.com/images/stati-1.jpg
http://gliesian.com/images/stati-2.jpg

It is of my great grandmother, Leonardina (nee Lizzi) Liguori

Thank you,
Robert
gliesian66
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Translation help please - STATI UNITI D'AMERICA

Postby erudita74 » 29 Jul 2013, 16:14

gliesian66 wrote:Can someone please translate the following document for me (2 pages - front and back)?

http://gliesian.com/images/stati-1.jpg
http://gliesian.com/images/stati-2.jpg

It is of my great grandmother, Leonardina (nee Lizzi) Liguori

Thank you,
Robert

I have never before seen one of these documents, but it is an "Act of Recall" that was prepared by a notary public in Brooklyn, NY. It is dated April 22, 1910 in the City of New York. The notary Alfredo Cucci prepared the document in his office at 100 Bayard Street in the presence of witnesses Leopoldo Benedetto and Antonio Negri. They were Italian citizens but residents in Brooklyn. They personally knew Giuseppe Liguori, the son of deceased Michele, age 30, who was born and living in Foggia (Troia) but was a resident in Brooklyn for business (work). He was the one who wished to recall his wife and son (his wife, Leonardina Lizzi, age 30, daughter of Nicola, and son Alfredo, age 6. They were born and living in Troia in Foggia. On page two it says he had arrived in NY and was not receiving assistance, was not infermed, and that he could now meet his obligations to provide for his wife and child. It also says that, if his wife and child did not wish to ultimately remain in this country, he would provide them with the means to return to their native land.

That is what I understand from this document. I believe this document was about sponsorship to make it easy for his wife and child to enter the United States and be accepted upon their arrival here. This type of document may have been required by the Italian government for them to be issued a passport, but I am not 100% sure of this. I know that, in 1924, when there was an amending immigration law in the U.S., a quota system went into effect which would limit the number of immigrants from various countries. I think from Italy the limit was 2%. Someone who already had relatives living in the U.S. would then be given preference for being permitted to enter this country.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby gliesian66 » 29 Jul 2013, 18:54

Thank you for your help and all the information.

I do have a few questions:

[ ] What does "Recall" mean?

[ ] What does "infermed" mean?

[ ] Would Leonardina (nee Lizzi) Liguori's passport be on file somewhere? If so where?

[ ] Would Alfredo need a passport? If so, is that on file too? If so, where?

Thanks, Robert
gliesian66
Veteran
Veteran

Postby erudita74 » 29 Jul 2013, 20:08

gliesian66 wrote:Thank you for your help and all the information.

I do have a few questions:

[ ] What does "Recall" mean?

[ ] What does "infermed" mean?

[ ] Would Leonardina (nee Lizzi) Liguori's passport be on file somewhere? If so where?

[ ] Would Alfredo need a passport? If so, is that on file too? If so, where?

Thanks, Robert

1. I can't really answer your first question. I just see on the internet that "recall" was used as part of the translation of the title of this document. As I previously stated, I am not familiar with this kind of document and can't seem to find any info about it other than what I previously stated.

2. infermed means that the person was physically incapacitated or not of good physical health, which was not the case with your ancestor. The U.S. did not want immigrants who were ill, or feeble, or physically weak and who would likely to become public charges-who would go on public assistance as opposed to working, making a living, and supporting themselves and their families. So your ancestor was not "infermed."

3. yes, from the year 1869, and the unification of Italy, any Italian citizen who wanted to travel outside of Italy had to be issued a passport. They could not leave their country without one, although the country to which they were traveling did not necessarily require them to have a passport to enter that new country. So the U.S. did not require an Italian passport to enter this country in the early 1900s, but Italy required its citizens to have a passport in order to leave there. For one thing, the Italian government wanted to make sure that men who were eligible for their draft did not leave the country before they had served in the military there. Another thing was that the Italian government wanted to insure that any of its citizens guilty of a crime did not leave the country.

Now, in order for an Italian citizen to be issued an Italian passport in their country, they had to go to their closest police headquarters with their birth certificates. There the officials would check the names on the certificates. So it was the Italian police who issued the passports. Some Italian citizens requested a passport but never left Italy. Some made multiple trips abroad using only 1 passport. Some actually made two or three requests for a passport before finally setting sail. The records kept by the questura (in the archives of the headquarters of the internal police in each province) are not available to the public.

Every passport request, however, also had to be approved by the ministero degli interni (minister of internal affairs) in Rome. So a list of passport requests and approvals is kept by this ministero in Rome. The problem is that the passports are indexed by town or province for each year, so you need not only the town name but also the year the passport was issued (which may not be the same year your ancestor arrived in the United States). Also these indices do not even contain the actual date of departure from Italy of your ancestor, as he may have requested his passport months before he actually left there. According to Trafford Cole, in his book about researching Italian records, this index contains very little info of actual worth (p.161).

Anyway, I hope some of this info is of use to you or someone else on this forum.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby gliesian66 » 16 Oct 2013, 03:49

Thank you for the information!
gliesian66
Veteran
Veteran

Postby suanj » 16 Oct 2013, 17:37

What does "Recall" mean?

the "Atto di Richiamo" is a legal act (by notary) = call notice

whereby a italian resident in USA or other foreign country, which claims to be the sponsor and it provides a written guarantee, for the legal immigration of his relatives in USA or other foreign country.

suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy