Luigi Franconeri from Lubrichi, Calabria, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Luigi Franconeri from Lubrichi, Calabria, Italy

Post by siskojnash »

I'm looking for any information about Luigi Franconeri, born on June 8, 1880 in Lubrichi, Santa Cristina d'Aspromonte, Calabria, Italy, and died on April 25, 1934 in Brooklyn, NY. He married Giuseppina Grano in 1912 in Manhattan. Luigi's father is supposed to be named Angelo Franconeri. I think he had a sister named Maria Franconeri, who was born about 1880 in Italy. She married Domenico Lentini. who was born abt 1880 in Italy. They had 4 children: Peter, Lena, Adolfo, and Olga. I found this out through census records.
Giuseppina Grano, the wife of Luigi Franconeri, was born on July 19, 1885 in Naples, Italy. She died on February 8, 1973 in New York. I don't have birth or death certificates for either Giuseppina or Luigi.
Her father's name was Francesco Grano, who was born abt 1848. I thought it might have been Palermo, but that could be wrong. He died on May 12, 1928 in Brooklyn, NY. His wife, Angela Mormone, was born ABT 1860 in Naples. I don't know when she died. I think there were at least 4 other children: Ignazio (Born ABT 1877 in Italy. He may not be a child of theirs, but another type of relation), Giovanni (born June 7, 1889 in Naples), Luigi (Sept 3, 1895 Naples - Feb 1976, Brooklyn) , and Vincenzo Grano (Sept 12, 1897 Naples - Feb 1976, Brooklyn). I believe all were born in Naples, or at least that region. Thank you.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Luigi Franconeri from Lubrichi, Calabria, Italy

Post by Tessa78 »

siskojnash wrote:I'm looking for any information about Luigi Franconeri, born on June 8, 1880 in Lubrichi, Santa Cristina d'Aspromonte, Calabria, Italy, and died on April 25, 1934 in Brooklyn, NY. He married Giuseppina Grano in 1912 in Manhattan. Luigi's father is supposed to be named Angelo Franconeri. I think he had a sister named Maria Franconeri, who was born about 1880 in Italy. She married Domenico Lentini. who was born abt 1880 in Italy. They had 4 children: Peter, Lena, Adolfo, and Olga. I found this out through census records.
Giuseppina Grano, the wife of Luigi Franconeri, was born on July 19, 1885 in Naples, Italy. She died on February 8, 1973 in New York. I don't have birth or death certificates for either Giuseppina or Luigi.
Her father's name was Francesco Grano, who was born abt 1848. I thought it might have been Palermo, but that could be wrong. He died on May 12, 1928 in Brooklyn, NY. His wife, Angela Mormone, was born ABT 1860 in Naples. I don't know when she died. I think there were at least 4 other children: Ignazio (Born ABT 1877 in Italy. He may not be a child of theirs, but another type of relation), Giovanni (born June 7, 1889 in Naples), Luigi (Sept 3, 1895 Naples - Feb 1976, Brooklyn) , and Vincenzo Grano (Sept 12, 1897 Naples - Feb 1976, Brooklyn). I believe all were born in Naples, or at least that region. Thank you.
If you do not have the marriage record of Luigi and Giuseppina in Manhattan...

From NYC Marriage Index (though the difference in date, but same certificate # is strange) :?
Grano Giuseppina Aug 6 1912 Manhattan #14069
Franconeri Luigi Jun 8 1912 Manhattan #14069

You can request the marriage record - it should provide the names of parents ...
http://www.nyc.gov/dorforms/marriagecert.jsp

Here is the information from NYC Death Index about Luigi's death certificate
Franconeri Louis 53 y Apr 25 1934 #9491 Kings
Request from this site...
http://www.nyc.gov/dorforms/deathcert.jsp

AND...
DO you have Luigi's Petition for Naturalization?

ALSO...
You can write directly to the Comune of S. Cristina d'Aspromonte, Reggio Calabria
to request Luigi's birth record...
Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Corso Umberto I
89056 Santa Cristina d'Aspromonte (RC)
ITALY

Make your request in ITALIAN...
Help with letters:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter3.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords

T.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Thank you. I had these two. With their family, I think I have the U.S. documents, except for death certificates. It's more the italian documents that I'm interested in, like the birth record and death record you mentioned. Would familysearch.org have records for Lubrichi or Naples?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

siskojnash wrote:Thank you. I had these two. With their family, I think I have the U.S. documents, except for death certificates. It's more the italian documents that I'm interested in, like the birth record and death record you mentioned. Would familysearch.org have records for Lubrichi or Naples?
The records for Reggio Calabria (where S. Cristina d'Aspromonte and Lubrichi are located) are not available online. HOWEVER, there are microfilms available to rent for both.
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... =536593-50

Naples is both a comune and a Province, do you know EXACTLY where in Naples she was from?
There are many records from Naples on familysearch.org.

The death record for Luigi can be requested as I stated above. You may have difficulty with Giuseppina because the death is more recent. At the same site I posted, you should be able to read what the requirements are for obtaining a record of a death after 1948...

T.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

I thought she was born in the city. People don't seem to know for absolute certain, though. Her father was supposed to have been a general in the Italian army, though. Would that make a difference? I wish there were military records for him.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Are there censuses for Italy, like the U.S. has? I wonder if it would be somewhat easy to find Giuseppina Grano if she was in the household with her whole family. Do the records on the family search site for the Naples area have indexes?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

siskojnash wrote:Are there censuses for Italy, like the U.S. has? I wonder if it would be somewhat easy to find Giuseppina Grano if she was in the household with her whole family. Do the records on the family search site for the Naples area have indexes?
~Italy does not have censuses like the US.

~Indexes for comunes vary widely. You will find some indexes, and they will usually be at the beginning of a "book/year" or at the very end. There are also 10 year indexes that may be available, but not as common. Sometimes the indexes are in alphabetical order by last name, and sometimes in alpha order by first name. Sometimes there are no indexes (or individual years) at all.

~There are a number of comunes from the PROVINCE of Naples available at family search site. But I do not think the city of Naples is among them.
HOWEVER, there are some records available for the different districts in the city of Naples available at this site...
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... Id=1128797

T.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Do you know if the records for these areas have indexes? I've been looking up people in Castelbuono records and those ones have them.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

siskojnash wrote:Do you know if the records for these areas have indexes? I've been looking up people in Castelbuono records and those ones have them.
Some may and some may not. :?

T.