Merenda Family from Calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Merenda Family from Calabria

Postby dominique426 » 12 Aug 2013, 08:04

I am looking for any Merenda family members from Calabria, specifically Cosenza, Calabria and Roggiano Gravina. My 3rd great grandmother Maria was born to GIUSEPPE MERENDA and MARIA GIUSEPPA IANNELLI (sp). Maria's brother Angelo married Filomena IANNELLI (sp). Her date of birth is around 1890. Her brother Angelo's is 1879.

I am especially looking for information on Maria and her daughter Pasqualina. I can't find records on Maria anywhere. I only have her arrival to Philadelphia, PA in 1909. I have not been able to find any records on Pasqualina.
FAMILY SURNAMES: Sessa, Apuzzo, Merenda, Fisicaro, Bloise, Esposito, Costanzo, Ferrigno, Letiziano, Tomasetta, Covollo, Lerardi, Ferrigno, Barbella, Capparelli
dominique426
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Merenda Family from Calabria

Postby adelfio » 12 Aug 2013, 18:05

dominique426 wrote:I am looking for any Merenda family members from Calabria, specifically Cosenza, Calabria and Roggiano Gravina. My 3rd great grandmother Maria was born to GIUSEPPE MERENDA and MARIA GIUSEPPA IANNELLI (sp). Maria's brother Angelo married Filomena IANNELLI (sp). Her date of birth is around 1890. Her brother Angelo's is 1879.

I am especially looking for information on Maria and her daughter Pasqualina. I can't find records on Maria anywhere. I only have her arrival to Philadelphia, PA in 1909. I have not been able to find any records on Pasqualina.

Did they settle in Philadelphia?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby dominique426 » 12 Aug 2013, 22:53

adelfio wrote:
dominique426 wrote:I am looking for any Merenda family members from Calabria, specifically Cosenza, Calabria and Roggiano Gravina. My 3rd great grandmother Maria was born to GIUSEPPE MERENDA and MARIA GIUSEPPA IANNELLI (sp). Maria's brother Angelo married Filomena IANNELLI (sp). Her date of birth is around 1890. Her brother Angelo's is 1879.

Marty

Yes, they did. South Philadelphia to be exact.

I also believe there were relatives that settled in MA.
FAMILY SURNAMES: Sessa, Apuzzo, Merenda, Fisicaro, Bloise, Esposito, Costanzo, Ferrigno, Letiziano, Tomasetta, Covollo, Lerardi, Ferrigno, Barbella, Capparelli
dominique426
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dominique426 » 13 Aug 2013, 00:42

adelfio wrote:

Marty

I found records on Maria with her married names in America however. I found her in Chicago in 1910 with her 1st husband and then back in Philadelphia in 1915 with her second.

I found 2 on Pasqualina: her on the 1920 census with her 2nd step-father (I don't know Pasqualina's father, she never knew of him) and her naturalization. Her naturalization paper wasn't like the rest of my ancestors'. It was just a little square piece of paper. She was naturalized 1943. I don't know why hers were different... is it because she had no proof of arrival? I also found her on the 1940 census with her 2nd husband.

I am trying to find records in Italy on Pasqualina and Maria. Pasqualina is born about 1902-1908. I believe she was born 1906 however because Maria (1890) said she was married at 16 on the 1910 census. I'm not sure if that's a lie or not- from what I understood, Maria had Pasqualina out of wedlock, but they have possibly married.

Maria's maiden name is MERENDA. I assumed Pasqualina was legitimatized by her mother with the name MERENDA but now I am unsure. I was hoping that by finding records on Maria, I would find them on Pasqualina.

As for Angelo Sr: I only found him on the war draft (unsure of what year) in Italy. I have his marriage civil paper, his Ellis Island paper and his naturalization. His full name is ANGELO MARIA MERENDA. Maria's full name is MARIA GIUSEPPA MERENDA.
dominique426
Veteran
Veteran

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy