Petello, Pitello, etc from Isca Sullo Ionio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JosephB

Re: Petello, Pitello, etc from Isca Sullo Ionio

Post by JosephB »

brujaojos wrote:Hi There,

My ancestors are also from Isca Sullo Ionio.

I have Mirarchi, Procopio, Pupo, LaCroce, Coroniti, Guarana, Varano, Bressi, Nestico, etc.

If you want, you can send me an email with your family's information.
Hi,

My Grandfather was Vito Stillo b1894 in Isca Sullo Ionio and settled in Marion Heights, PA. His father was Antionio Stillo. His mother was Barbara Coroniti. I am looking for anything on the Coroniti side that you might have. My grandfather had two sisters: Anna and Elizabeta. Any help will be appreciated.

Best,
Joe
Best Wishes,
Joe
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

JosephB wrote:Hi,

My Grandfather was Vito Stillo b1894 in Isca Sullo Ionio and settled in Marion Heights, PA. His father was Antionio Stillo. His mother was Barbara Coroniti. I am looking for anything on the Coroniti side that you might have. My grandfather had two sisters: Anna and Elizabeta. Any help will be appreciated.

Best,
Joe
Hi Joe,

Are you related to Rick Coroniti? I did a lot of research for Rick and his Coroniti family. Matter of fact I am working on a project with Greg on all the Anania's from Isca.

Antonio Stillo married Barbara Coroniti in April 1884. Antonio was residing in Marina di Catanzaro and Barbara was residing in Isca Sullo Ionio.

They had the following children:

Barbara
Elisabetta
Vitaliano
Vito

Here's a little bit of information on Antonio Stillo.

Antonio Stillo
born: about 1838 (? birth date.....marriage record stated he was 46 at the time of the marriage)
Father: Vincenzo Stillo
Mother: Caterina Caristo
Antonio Stillo was the widower of Elisabetta Nestico

Here's information on Barbara Coroniti.

Barbara Coroniti
born: December 12, 1858 in Isca
Father: Saverio Coroniti
Mother: Maria Rosa Calabretta

I hope this helps some.

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
JosephB

Post by JosephB »

brujaojos wrote: Are you related to Rick Coroniti? I did a lot of research for Rick and his Coroniti family.

They had the following children:

Barbara
Elisabetta
Vitaliano
Vito
Hi Trish,

Thank you for the information! I do not know a Rick Coroniti. I know an Evo Coroniti who still lives in Marion Heights. I also know that he had some brothers and sisters - one of which is a dentist. My family always referred to him as a "cousin" but no one that is still living could put all the names in place and make all the links.

There was one more child: Anna b1889 d1947 She married George Peters and had 8 children. Elisabetta b1885 d1965 married Galardi (first name was possibly Salvatore) and was widowed. She remarried a Bressi and had three children.

No mention was ever made by my grandfather (Vito) of siblings named Barbara or Vitaliano. It is possible that they died as infants or died before they came to America. Vito and Elisabetta came together. Anna followed. All came through Ellis Island.
Best Wishes,
Joe
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

JosephB wrote:Hi Trish,

Thank you for the information! I do not know a Rick Coroniti. I know an Evo Coroniti who still lives in Marion Heights.
Evo is the cousin of Rick.
There was one more child: Anna b1889 d1947 She married George Peters and had 8 children. Elisabetta b1885 d1965 married Galardi (first name was possibly Salvatore) and was widowed. She remarried a Bressi and had three children.
Per Rick, he stated that Barbara is the first child who married George Peters. So maybe Anna is a nickname for Barbara and/or Rick just had the wrong first name.

I do know that Barbara (aka-Anna) and George Peters had Josephine, Florence, Samuel, Barbara, Anthony, Frank, Thelma, Ralph, Rose, and George.

Elisabetta did marry a gentleman by the name of Bressi. They had Ralph, Nick, Frank, Barbara, Anna, and Anthony.

No mention was ever made by my grandfather (Vito) of a Vitaliano. It is possible that they died as infants ?
Vitaliano was born in 1892 and died in 1892 in Marina di Catanzaro.

I also can give you more information on the Coroniti family.

Code: Select all

1. Nicola Coroniti married Caterina Vivino
     they had: 
     2. Francesco Coroniti (1755-1849) married Teresa Feudale
         they had:
         3. Pasquale Coroniti (1792-1887) married Elisabetta Martello
             they had:
             4. Saverio Coroniti (1832-1892) married Rosa Calabretta
                 they had:
                 5. Barbara Coroniti (1858-?) married Antonio Stillo
I hope some of this helps,
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
jencharles

Post by jencharles »

Hello..........i stumbled across many of these posts by accident but am glad I did. I have a grandfather who came from Isca Sullo Ionia through Ellis Island and lived in Kulpmont, PA His name was Vito Anania and my grandmother was Mary Rovito Anania. Any information you can provide on the Anania or Rovito side would be greatly appreciated. I noticed through many of the odler posts that a great many people from Isca ended up in the coal region area of Pennsylvania
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

jencharles wrote:Hello..........i stumbled across many of these posts by accident but am glad I did. I have a grandfather who came from Isca Sullo Ionia through Ellis Island and lived in Kulpmont, PA His name was Vito Anania and my grandmother was Mary Rovito Anania. Any information you can provide on the Anania or Rovito side would be greatly appreciated. I noticed through many of the odler posts that a great many people from Isca ended up in the coal region area of Pennsylvania
Hi There,

Do you have any dates for Vito Anania or Mary Rovito?

What do you know about them?

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
jencharles

Post by jencharles »

Vito Anania died 1980 in Kulpmont area. Mary Rovito died in the early 90s. All I know about Vito is that he came through ellis Island. He had brtohers but I never knew them or their names. I know nothing of my grnadmother's side (Mary) and my mother never really spoke much about it.
IscaDave

Post by IscaDave »

Hi,
I noticed your were searching for the spelling "Petello". In Isca Sullo Ionio the name is spelled "Pitello". Many of the wonderful last names of Isca were changed in America to please the their new English speaking country. Of course, many of the names were mispelled upon arrival to America at Ellis Island. You should have better success with the Pitello spelling. If you have the approximate birth date for Pietro Pitello, be sure to write direct to the Town of Isca. It may take some time, but they will respond. their address is Piazza Municipio 88060 Isca Sullo Ionion (CZ) Italia. The Town Hall has a closet full of Record Books. I have seen them twice. The records are well documented and date back to the late 1700's. As far as the cemetery, there is only one as mentioned before, just at the entrance to the town. The cemtery was established in January 1883. Much different than American Cemtery where you can look at grave stones from the 1700's, you will only find burials for those whop past in the past 50 years, because the cemetery is quite small, the City removes the bodies of the deceased after approx 50 years. The only way that will differ would be if the family owned their own Mauseleum, then the burials are permanent, unless the family requested removal. I have a photo of the cemetery on my website www.iscacalabria.com. Hope this helps. Goodluck.
irenetrantas

Post by irenetrantas »

Regarding Andrea Varano---

Do you have information when he was born and if he had siblings, his parents name? etc.

My great grandfather Salvatore Varano is from the same area and came to the US in 1910 --
he had three brothers I know of: Antonio, Fred and Joseph, and a sister Rosa
He returned to Italy in the late 1940s / early 1950s to visit family and was killed by a motorcyclist and even buried there but I can find no records....

thank you!!!!

irene.trantas@gmail.com
boopies123

Post by boopies123 »

Thank you everyone for your responses...I have been away from research since my daughter was born in 2006 and am now wanting to resume.

Here is all I have:
Pietro Pettello (Pitello) etc was married 3 times in Italy. One wife was a Concetta (he also had a daughter Concetta--my gr-gr-grandmother)His last wife was Elisabetta --this is her obituary:
From Mt. Carmel Newspaper, July 29, 1936

MRS. PITTELLO DIES RESULT OF PNEUMONIA

Atlas Woman Succumbs at Home of Daughter in Kulpmont

mrs. Elizabeth Pittello, age about 65, prominently known Atlas woman, dies from pneumonia last night 11:20 o'clock, at the home of former Squire James Avellino and his wife, 816 Chestnut Street, Kulpmont. She had been staying with her daughter, Mrs. Avellino, the past month and became ill last Friday.
The body is now at the home of another son-in-law and daughter Mr. and mrs. John Rocco, 250 west Girart Street, Atlas, and the funeral is to be held from there Saturday morning. There will be a high mass in the St. Peter's Church, this city at 9:00 o'clock. Burial will be made in the parish cemetery.
Mrs. Pittello was a native of Isca Sullinio, Province of Catanzaro italy, and came to this county 16 years ago. Since then she had been residing with her children in this vicinity.
Her husband, Peter Pittello, died some years ago in Italy.
Mrs. Pittello was a devout member ofthe St. Peter's Church.
The survivors are five children, Samuel Pittello of Marion Heights, Charles Pittello and Mrs. Frank Lazzaro of this city, Mrs. James Avellino of Kulpmont and Mrs. John Rocco of Atlas There are 29 Grandchildren.

Pietro's daughter Concetta came to the US about 1930. She was married to Andrea Varano (who I believe died shortly before Concetta arrived to the US) and they had Maria Teresa, born 1885 in Isca, Rosario, Guiseppe, Francesco, and Sam (could be either Saverio or Salvadore in Italian). Trying to find any records of Pietro Petello (Pitello) and records of Andrea and Concetta's marriage.

Thanks again

Suzanne