Need Help Finding Info About Lilla Bruno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jbruno30

Need Help Finding Info About Lilla Bruno

Post by jbruno30 »

Hi,

I'm in the process of tracing my family routes and have had decent success however I am stuck on my great grandmother. Her name appears on official documents (US Census) in many different forms: Lilly, Lily, and Lila. My family has always known her as Lilla. After arriving in the US she lived in Boston and was married to John (Giovanni)Bruno. John lived from about 1889 and died around 1957 and immigrated to the US in 1919.

Lilla Bruno had the maiden name of Ingeneri although I believe that to be a misspelling of Ingegneri. She lived from 1897 to about 1968. According to the 1930 US Census they were married around 1919, but I don't know if that was in the US or in Italy.

Together they had 3 sons, Frank, Joseph, and Kenneth. Frank is my grandfather. Since all of my grandparents are deceased I am looking for any help I can get as to her true name, where she might have come from and any information about her family. I am trying to pursue any and all avenues towards getting dual citizenship with Italy so any information or places to look are helpful.

Thanks,
John
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Need Help Finding Info About Lilla Bruno

Post by Tessa78 »

jbruno30 wrote:Hi,

I'm in the process of tracing my family routes and have had decent success however I am stuck on my great grandmother. Her name appears on official documents (US Census) in many different forms: Lilly, Lily, and Lila. My family has always known her as Lilla. After arriving in the US she lived in Boston and was married to John (Giovanni)Bruno. John lived from about 1889 and died around 1957 and immigrated to the US in 1919.

Lilla Bruno had the maiden name of Ingeneri although I believe that to be a misspelling of Ingegneri. She lived from 1897 to about 1968. According to the 1930 US Census they were married around 1919, but I don't know if that was in the US or in Italy.

Together they had 3 sons, Frank, Joseph, and Kenneth. Frank is my grandfather. Since all of my grandparents are deceased I am looking for any help I can get as to her true name, where she might have come from and any information about her family. I am trying to pursue any and all avenues towards getting dual citizenship with Italy so any information or places to look are helpful.

Thanks,
John
Hello John! :-D

You are correct that your GGM's surname was INGEGNERI. Her given name was LUIGIA :-)

Here is the arrival manifest for Giovanni Bruno and his wife Luigia Ingegneri in November of 1919.
Giovanni is age 30, and Luigia is age 23. They leave no one in Messina, and their destination is Boston, MA to "grand-mother Maria" at 15 Takot St., Boston.

Page 1 - lines 25 and 26 (click once to enlarge and again to magnify)

page 2
jbruno30

Post by jbruno30 »

Wow! This is remarkable. I posted this as kind of a last resort as I couldn't find anything else and sure enough everything you were able to find/provide fits in with the details that we do know.

Would you or anyone else know the best sources for official records from Messina? I know the parishes and towns maintained records, but any places to start looking would be great.

THANKS!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

POSSIBLE BIRTH RECORD OF GIOVANNI BRUNO
Do you know the parents names? Trying to get the right Messina area for Lilla Bruno
Giovanni Bruno, "Italy, Messina, Messina, Civil Registration (Comune), 1866-1910"
Name: Giovanni Bruno
Event Type: Birth
Event Date: 29 Aug 1889
Event Place: Messina, Messina, Italy
Father's Name: Domenico Bruno
Mother's Name: Letteria Girone
Entry Number: 1110
GS Film number: 1641515
Digital Folder Number: 4876916
Image Number: 01033

PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n224867511

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

jbruno30 wrote:Wow! This is remarkable. I posted this as kind of a last resort as I couldn't find anything else and sure enough everything you were able to find/provide fits in with the details that we do know.

Would you or anyone else know the best sources for official records from Messina? I know the parishes and towns maintained records, but any places to start looking would be great.

THANKS!
Have you tried these sites? (these links are to the town of Messina in Messina Province)

Archivio di Stato di Messina
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... o/Messina/

Family Search
https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D1887904

T.