Mortellaro and/ or La Ranta family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
benaim

Postby benaim » 20 Nov 2002, 18:31

Hello, <BR> <BR>Looking details of my granmother, Marie Mortellaro, born in 1903 in Sicily, (Sciacca or Lucca cicula) to Rosario Mortellaro and Rosa La ranta, i know that she had two more sisters but i don\'t and can\'t have more details about them because she moved to Tunnis and then Morocco etc., i know also she had more names (like aurtance, or lavrance...??). can someoe help me with more details??? <BR> <BR>thank you, <BR>David
benaim david

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 20 Nov 2002, 21:35

what are the specific details you are looking for? Was she ever in the USA? Are you seeking documents or information? Are there any relatives in Italy or here in the USA? Peter

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 20 Nov 2002, 21:54

There are two Mortellaro surnamed persons in Licca Sicula and one person who has a ceramic factory in Sciacca with the same surname. There is no La Ranta surname in Sicily. If you wish to look at the Mortellaro persons go to www.paginebianche.it and insert Mortellaro in the first line and Sciacca and then later lucca sicula after clicking CERCA each time and you will see the listings of all tthree. Should you be able to find an entry into the USA then the town of origin will be indicated for either name. Peter

benaim

Postby benaim » 29 Nov 2002, 11:46

Hello Peter, <BR> <BR>I\'m looking for information of these families, i\'m not from U.S.A, and neigher my grandmother. i know that she had two more sisters, but not sure about their names (maybe one called josephine), i heard that her father Rosario worked in U.S.A but he died in Italy. <BR>about La Ranta (Rosa, the mother of my g.m) i have a document about her dead in 23th of may 1933 (b. 5/5/1867) in Sicily. <BR> <BR>thank you, <BR>David
benaim david

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 29 Nov 2002, 13:48

You don\'t say what information you want but let me ask you what happened when you went to thr www.paginebianche.it and looked up those surnames in the towns you furnished??????? Perhaps writing to them wilkl give you information that they are relatives of yours. Peter

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 29 Nov 2002, 14:01

David you are expected to conduct the research and I will assist you by directing you to the appropriate websites and addresses to write to. In this manner you will participate in your own genealogy. Peter

Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Postby Edmondo » 29 Nov 2002, 18:19

David, <BR> <BR>Can you use this information? <BR> <BR>Name: Mortellaro, Vincenzo <BR>Age: 23 <BR>Gender: Male <BR>Occupation: Miner <BR>Literate: Yes <BR>Village/Last Residence: Alia <BR>Country: Italy <BR>Date of Arrival: Sep. 12, 1892 <BR>Final Destination: New York <BR>Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA <BR>Ship\'s Name: Obdam <BR>Captain\'s Name: Ponsen <BR>Manifest I.D. Number: 82187 <BR>Port of Embarkation: Rotterdam and Boulogne <BR>Mode of Travel: Steerage <BR> <BR>=== <BR> <BR>Name: Mortellaro, Paolo <BR>Age: 23 <BR>Gender: Male <BR>Occupation: Shoe maker <BR>Literate: Unknown <BR>Village/Last Residence: Unknown <BR>Country: Italy <BR>Date of Arrival: Feb. 10, 1890 <BR>Final Destination: USA <BR>Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA <BR>Ship\'s Name: Unknown <BR>Captain\'s Name: Unknown <BR>Manifest I.D. Number: 81503 <BR>Port of Embarkation: Hamburg and Havre <BR>Mode of Travel: Steerage <BR> <BR>
Tandem fit surculus arbor

benaim

Postby benaim » 29 Dec 2002, 19:58

Thank you, <BR> <BR>but i don\'t have more details, i know just hus name Rosario, and that he worked in U.S.A, and came back to Italy several times, the last time was probably in 1920? <BR> <BR>thanks again <BR>David :-)
benaim david

Adria

Re: Mortellaro and/ or La Ranta family

Postby Adria » 02 Sep 2007, 20:30

benaim wrote:Hello Peter,
<BR>
<BR>I\'m looking for information of these families, i\'m not from U.S.A, and neigher my grandmother. i know that she had two more sisters, but not sure about their names (maybe one called josephine), i heard that her father Rosario worked in U.S.A but he died in Italy.
<BR>about La Ranta (Rosa, the mother of my g.m) i have a document about her dead in 23th of may 1933 (b. 5/5/1867) in Sicily.
<BR>
<BR>thank you,
<BR>David

I am searching for information on a Josephine Mortellaro born Aug 5, 1894ish...she married Guiseppe Castellano and both died in Lawrence Essex Co, Massachusetts....
Do you know anything about your g'mother's sisters?

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 03 Sep 2007, 00:24

Hi David,

This may be the Rosario you're looking for. His last name was mispelled on the ships manifest. Take a look and in the mean time I'm going to see if I can dig something else up.

http://castlegarden.org/quick_search_de ... id=2358095

Edmondo and/or Peter - think it might be him?

Elizabeth

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 03 Sep 2007, 00:33

Here is the Ellis Island Manifest.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 3172030157

Probably is incorrect. Grandmother born in 1903 and this Rosario was 8 in 1899. Would have been awfully young to be a father.

Sorry David, was hoping this could be him.

Elizabeth

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 03 Sep 2007, 00:55

This is a manifest that would have made Rosario 18 in 1903.

Shot in the dark.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0219

benaim

Postby benaim » 06 Dec 2007, 18:39

Thank you Elizabeth,

As i talled Rosario went a lot to work in the U.S to search gold and every several years came back to Sicily...??

Return to “Italian Genealogy”