giancola/castelpetroso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
silvana/australia
Rookie
Rookie

giancola/castelpetroso

Post by silvana/australia »

I wonder if anyone out there would have any info on my ggmother Vincenza Giancola. She came over from America & married Guiseppe Giancola. They had 2 children, Nichola & my gmother Felicia Giancola (both maiden & married name). Felicia was born 17/6/1906. I think Vincenza may have died of breast cancer. Guiseppe remarried once his wife passed away. Anyway it is just a stab in the dark & I hoped it was a small world after all. Silvana
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: giancola/castelpetroso

Post by VaDeb »

Was your grandmother Giuseppa Giancola born in the USA or Italy? There will be a passenger record for her arrival in America if she came from Italy. What year was she born? Do you know her town or origin in Italy?

May be possible to locate the family on US census records. Census was done every 10 years (1890 is missing for the most part). Any idea of her parents or siblings names? Where they lived here?

This type of information will enable others to help you with records here.

Debbie
silvana/australia
Rookie
Rookie

Re: ANYONE HELP giancola/castelpetroso

Dear Debbie, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I know very little about my ggmother VINCENZA Giancola other than my ggfather GUISEPPE & her married in America . She was already in America , he met her, married her, then brought her back to Italy. They lived in Castelpetroso & I think that is where she died. I am only just getting started & dont know when she arrived in America, if she was born there etc .....I have no idea how to get started. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Cheers Silvana[/quote]
g'day from WA
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Posted by silvana/australia

Dear Debbie, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I know very little about my ggmother VINCENZA Giancola other than my ggfather GUISEPPE Giancola & her married in America. He met her there, married her & then brought her to Italy. They lived in Castelpetroso & I think that is were they died. I am only just getting started & know very little about her. When & were she was born & to whom........ Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated. Cheers Silvana
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Dear Silvana,

Please do not start a new thread with each response. It makes it very difficult for others to follow and help you. Just click the post reply button at the top and continue on.

Guiseppe Giancola married Vincenza (unknown maiden name) in the USA. They had a child in 1906 in Australia. Do you have an estimated year of birth for Giuseppe or Vincenza?

You mentioned the town of Castelpetroso. There are records available for this town from your local family history center of the LDS church.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Debbie
jdipardo

Post by jdipardo »

I have several of the films from Castelpetroso. I'll see what I can find.

John
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

jdipardo wrote:I have several of the films from Castelpetroso. I'll see what I can find.

John
Hi John,

Do you have any DeStefano, Cifelli, or Vecchiarelli in your family? These are my ancestors who came to the towns of Philadelphia and Norristown in Pennsylvania.

Have a good one.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
silvana/australia
Rookie
Rookie

thanks John & thanks Debbie

PLEASE note Debbie my ggMother name is Vincenza & she married ggFather Guiseppe. They did not have a child in 1906 in Australia.

Vincenza & Guiseppe had 2 children Nicola & my grandmother Felicia - ( dob: 17/6/1906 dec: 21/8/2003) Felicia married another Giancola - they had Carmine, Salvatore & Antoinetta. Her husband passed away. My father Domenico was born 23/12/1935 to unknown father. Unfortunately it is all kept hushed up & I love dad too much to ask.

I am not aware of any LDS church history centres in Perth but will check witha local genealogy club

Cheers Silvana
g'day from WA
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

quote]Vincenza & Guiseppe had 2 children Nicola & my grandmother Felicia - ( dob: 17/6/1906 dec: 21/8/2003) Felicia married another Giancola - they had Carmine, Salvatore & Antoinetta. Her husband passed away. My father Domenico was born 23/12/1935 to unknown father. Unfortunately it is all kept hushed up & I love dad too much to ask[/quote]

Silvana,

Sorry I misread the names. I am trying confirm details that would be on USA records. It seems a difficult search, not much information to identify Vincenza. Have I summarized this correctly?

Vincenza: Maiden name = Unknown
Date of birth = Unknown
Place of birth = Italy or USA
Place of Death = Italy
Date of death = Unknown

married Giuseppe Giancola before 1906 in USA, state unknown

Their children were Felica (born 1906) and Nicola. Where was Felica born?

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Here are the family history centers in Australia. Just select Australia and search.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Hope one is near you. You might want to check with libraries near you. My library is able to order films.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Silvana,

Here is a link to a search engine for Ellis Island immigration records.

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html

If you enter first name starts with G and last name is Giancola you will get a list of passengers. Several from Castelpetroso. By reading the manifests you can see where they were going in the USA and usually to whom. Some manifests are 2 pages and they are not always in order. Some (i think after 1909) list a nearest relative in Italy. By reading through them perhaps you will see something you recognize.

You do need to register to have access to the Ellis Island manifests, but it is free. Hope this might help.

Debbie
jdipardo

Post by jdipardo »

Hi Trish,

Yes I do have Cifelli in my tree. Pasquale Cifelli and Giovanna Cicchino (1750) were my 5th great grandparents on my fathers' mother side. There are others as well but they are the couple that come to mind.

My main family of interest in Castelpetroso is CIELLI which has appeared to be different from CIFELLI. The 2 names are definatley recorded under each spelling. I thought at first it might have been a lazy clerk, but through the 250 years or so Cielli and Cifelli are recorded as different.

Let me know if there is anything you need as well
John
silvana/australia
Rookie
Rookie

Thank you Debbie, you are a gem. Yes both Nicola & Felicia were born in Italy more than likely Castelpetroso. I will follow up the links you have kindly found.

Silvana
g'day from WA
silvana/australia
Rookie
Rookie

Dear John (jdipardo), "I have several of the films from Castelpetroso. I'll see what I can find"

any luck?

Silvana[/quote]
g'day from WA
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Silvana:

I am a member of POINT (Pursing our Italian Names Together). Its a great genealogy organization and they publish a database of surnames and the village the name is from. The idea is to enable "cousins" researching the same town in Italy to contact each other. If you share a common surname from the same ancestral village there is a great chance you share a common ancestor.

I looked in the POINT directory and there is a person researching GIANCOLA from Castel Petroso who lives in Alberta, Canada. Send me a PM if you are interested in the person's contact information. Perhaps you can share information.

Debbie