Help appreciated: Luigi FERRARI / Modena / b. 1781

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
andymarch

Help appreciated: Luigi FERRARI / Modena / b. 1781

Postby andymarch » 26 Aug 2013, 22:29

Hi all,
I am trying to find out more about my Italian ancestor named Luigi FERRARI, born 1781 in or around Modena.

He was possibly a soldier in the Napoleonic wars and in 1813, instead of returning to Italy, decided to stay in the former German region called Pomerania (now Poland, on the coast of the Baltic Sea) - as such a fate occurred quite often.

In 1819 he got married to a local girl named Charlotta MOEDE (Roggow A parish / Regenwalde county / province of Pomerania). They had six children, two of which later emigrated to the US. The spelling of FERRARI changed to FIRADI, FIRARI, FERADY etc. later on.

In the churchbooks his birthplace is given as Modena/Italy and the year of his birth is 1781. It is not clear whether Luigi FERRARI was from the city of Modena or from the province

I'd be very thankful for any hints you may have.

Kind regards,
Andy

AndreaBrickman

Re: Help appreciated: Luigi FERRARI / Modena / b. 1781

Postby AndreaBrickman » 21 Sep 2013, 03:50

I came across your post completely by accident and now I'm so glad I did. I have a little info and hope this will help you. Luigi Ferrari was my 3 times great-grandfather. He was born in 1781 in Emilia-Romanga, Italy and, as you know, married Charlotta Maria Elisa Moede on October 30, 1819 in Haseleu. One of their 6 children, Johann Friedich Ludwig Firari (the last name spelling starts to change here) was one of the 2 children who eventually imigrated to the U.S. Johann settled in and eventually died in Lowell, Wisconsin. I'm unsure of the second child who imigrated to the U.S. Before imigrating to the U.S. Johann married Theresa Mathilda Rosalia Jaeger on May 30, 1851 in Germany and had a daughter, Bertha Firari. (I assume there were more children, but this is what I currently know). This may not be much to pass along, but it's something. If I come across anything else I will pass it along. Good luck in your search!

Andrea

Return to “Italian Genealogy”