Raimondi Family Information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
26 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Raimondi Family Information

Postby charlesd81 » 29 Aug 2013, 15:01

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and would like some help in finding some information about my family. I'm a member of Ancestry.com so I've found some valuable information but I'm stuck in a few places and can't locate the information I want on Ancestry.

My research focuses around my great grandfather whom I never knew, Charles Raimondi. Our last name now is DiRaimondi, but on his WWII draft card, he lists his last name as Raimondi. I know its him because it has the address (512 Fitzwater St, Philadelphia, PA) that my grandfather (currently living) has stated they lived at. He lists his birth date as Dec 27, 1888. Other records have him as potentially being born in 1889 and his gravestone says 1889. I'm tempted to believe what he put down on his draft card as his official birth year. I have no idea why our name was changed. He also had a grocery store at that address but I can't seem to find any information on that. I'm hoping to find some when I go to the Philadelphia city archives. Ancestry has his name as DiRaimondi when he married his wife in 1923.

From my research I think I've identified that he was from Villalba, Caltanissetta, Sicilia (Sicily). His father Guisseppe (Giuseppe, Guiseppe??) Raimondi came over to the US in 1890. I know that Charles had a twin name William and according to US Census reports Guisseppe had multiple children, two of them being William and Charles born the same month and year. I've concluded that Guisseppe, a cigar maker in NY, is in fact my great great grandfather, originally from Villalba. What's interesting that on Guisseppe's naturalization record that I found he lists his last name as Raimond. Why would there be descrepencies?

I'd like to get the following:
1) Naturalization records for Charles Raimondi who lived in Philadelphia. I'm assuming the naturalization records would be for NY because his family lived in NY until at least 1900 according to the US 1990 census report.
2) Birth records from Villalba, Caltanissetta, Sicily for his birth in about 1888.
3) Birth records and other historical information about Guisseppe Raimondi (Raimond, Raimondo??) who, from what I can tell, came from Villalba, Caltanissetta, Sicily.
4) Our actual last name prior to my great and great great grandfather coming over to NY from Sicily.

I'm having difficulty because of the last name changes and different recordings of the last name in all the historical documents. There are many records for Guisseppe and even Raimondi spelled different ways and I'm not quite sure whether or not there were truly that many different spellings of people who lived in Villalba, Caltanissetta.

I apologize for the long post. If you need any additional information please let me know and thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Chuck
charlesd81

Re: Raimondi Family Information

Postby erudita74 » 29 Aug 2013, 19:38

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :189161980

Here are birth records for Calogero and the twin's name is Biagio. Calogero is record #197 born at 6 a.m. on Dec 27, 1889 in the house on via Palermo to Giuseppe Raimondo and wife, Vincenza Immordino, both peasant/farmers. The twin, Biagio, was born at 6:10 A.M. (record #198)

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby charlesd81 » 29 Aug 2013, 21:27

Erudita,
Thanks for the info. I am slightly confused though. I don't show any record of those two twins in NY. Are those the Italian names for Charles and William/Bill?
charlesd81

Postby adelfio » 29 Aug 2013, 22:20

Great find Erudita!!!
Heres the marriage record of Giuseppe di Raimondo and wife, Vincenza Immordino to get you back further in your family

INDEX#32
1877 Oct 7th in the town of Villalba, Caltanissetta appeared Giuseppe di Raimondo age 20 peasant born in Villalba son of Salvatore di Raimondo and Maria Anna Mosca married Vincenza Immordino age 20 born in Villalba daughter of Santo Immordino and Lucia Zaffuto

PG LINK

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1253177145

CLICK FOR IMAGE CLICK TO ENLARGE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 30 Aug 2013, 12:51

Thanks, Marty. Glad you found the marriage record. I didn't have time to do further research.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 30 Aug 2013, 14:56

charlesd81 wrote:Erudita,
Thanks for the info. I am slightly confused though. I don't show any record of those two twins in NY. Are those the Italian names for Charles and William/Bill?

Calogero is Charles Biagio is Bill

Giuseppe Raimondo, "United States Census, 1900"
Name: Giuseppe Raimondo
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1900
Event Place: ED 124 Borough of Manhattan, Election District 10-12 New York City Ward 6, New York County, New York, United States
Birth Date: Apr 1857
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 22
Marriage Year (Estimated): 1878
Mother of how many children:
Number of Living Children:
Immigration Year: 1890
Page: 32
Sheet Letter: A
Family Number: 593
Reference ID: 14
GS Film number: 1241086
Digital Folder Number: 004114589
Image Number: 00265
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head Giuseppe Raimondo M 43 Italy
Wife Vincenza Raimondo F 42 Italy
Son Salvatore Raimondo M 19 Italy
Daughter Lucia Raimondo F 15 Italy
Son Santo Raimondo M 14 Italy
Son Charles Raimondo M 11 Italy
Son William Raimondo M 11 Italy
Daughter Grazia Raimondo F 3 New York
Son Joseph Raimondo F 0 New York

Salvatore di Raimondo birth record
INDEX#36
1881 Mar 8 in the town of Villalba birth of Salvatore di Raimondo son of Giuseppe di Raimondo age 22 and Vincenza Immordino age 21

PG LINK TO BIRTH ACT

Lucia di Raimondo birth act
INDEX #13
1884 Jan 25th in the town of Villalba birth of Lucia di Raimondo daughter of Giuseppe di Raimondo age 26 and Vincenza Immordino age 26 delivered by midwife Grazia Mitretto age 93

PG LINK TO BIRTH ACT

Santo di Raimondo birth act
INDEX#148
1886 Dec 24th in the town of Villalba birth of Lucia di Raimondo daughter of Giuseppe di Raimondo age 29 and Vincenza Immordino age 29 presented by Lucia Zaffuto mother of Vincenza

PG LINK TO BIRTH ACT

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby charlesd81 » 30 Aug 2013, 16:21

Thank you so much for the information! Any reason why there may have been a Di placed in front of our last name similar to how it was listed in the marriage information? Was that common to say Firstname of Raimondo? Also any potential reason why it would have been changed to DiRaimondi instead of keeping it Raimondo?
charlesd81

Postby adelfio » 30 Aug 2013, 16:55

Could be that earlier there were similar Raimondo families in town and order to keep them straight they adopted the di in front of Raimondo
Also just transcribing the name from record to record could be human error but in this early birth record it is spelled di Raimondo

Giuseppe di Raimondo birth record
INDEX# 129
1857 Dec 10 in the town of Villalba birth of Giuseppe di Raimondo son of Salvatore di Raimondo age 30 (1827) and Maria Anna Mosca age 23(1834) baptized in the church of San Giuseppe

CLICK FOR IMAGE KEEP CLICKING TO ENLARGE

Vincenza Immordino birth record
INDEX#305
1857 Dec 24th in the town of Villalba birth of Vincenza Immordino daughter of Santo Immordino age 30 (1827) and Lucia Zaffuto age 20(1837)

CLICK FOR IMAGE KEEP CLICKING TO ENLARGE

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby charlesd81 » 30 Aug 2013, 17:02

Marty,
Great information. How are you finding these documents? Do you have to manually go through each record and read the Italian? It doesn't seem like the documents are searchable?
charlesd81

Postby adelfio » 30 Aug 2013, 17:48

The birth records I got through town of Villalba marriage allegati record of Giuseppe di Raimondo and wife, Vincenza Immordino online at familysearch.org
Most of the records have a index at the end of the year you are searching with a index number to go back through the year you are searching in NATI BIRTHS MORTI DEATHS
PG LINK

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... %3D1946840

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby charlesd81 » 31 Aug 2013, 00:13

Ok thanks. What would be the best way to find our family crest and meaning of our last name?
charlesd81

Postby adelfio » 31 Aug 2013, 15:55

charlesd81 wrote:Ok thanks. What would be the best way to find our family crest and meaning of our last name?

Heres a link

http://www.houseofnames.com/raimondo-family-crest

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby charlesd81 » 31 Aug 2013, 20:57

Thanks again. I know that my great grandfather Charles Raimondi, as we have found via birth records was born on Dec 27, 1889, had two wives. His second wife, Louise M Froehlich (they live in Philadelphia) was the mother of my grandfather (Charles). They had two additional children Gloria and Gladys. However, he did have a first wife who had passed away due to being sick. From what I found her name was Josephine Lumia. I was able to find the marriage information stating they were married on Sept 9, 1916 in Niagara Falls. I know that prior to her death, they had a child named Joseph Raimondi, assuming the name was recorded that way. In future years, Joseph is also listed on US Census reports as living with my GGF and Louse Froehlich in Philadelphia. I believe he may have been born in 1917 or somewhere around that time. I do know that he was supposed to be enlisted in WWII but was diagnosed with being sick prior to deployment and as a result didn't go. From what my grandfather says, he may have died sometime in the 40s. Both Joseph and his wife, which I don't know her name, both died of tuberculosis. They had a child.

I'm looking for the following information for those that can help. I've been unsuccessful so far in finding it:

1) When did Josephine pass away?
2) Any military document for Joseph Raimondi
3) Who did Joseph marry, what was their child's name and when did he pass away?

Thanks again in advance.

Chuck
charlesd81

Postby adelfio » 01 Sep 2013, 01:24

Wasn't married in 1940 according to the census
Name: Joseph Raimondi
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1940
Event Place: Ward 3, Philadelphia, Philadelphia City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Marital Status: Single
Race (Original): White
Race: White
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Son
Relationship to Head of Household: Son
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Birth Year (Estimated): 1918
Last Place of Residence: Same House
District: 51-80
Family Number: 85
Sheet Number and Letter: 4B
Line Number: 56
Affiliate Publication Number: T627
Affiliate Film Number: 3690
Digital Folder Number: 005456830
Image Number: 00104
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head Charles Raimondi M 52 Italy
Wife Louise Raimondi F 42 Germany
Son Joseph Raimondi M 22 Pennsylvania
Daughter Gloria Raimondi F 14 Pennsylvania
Daughter Gladys Raimondi F 10 Pennsylvania
Son Charles Raimondi M 6 Pennsylvania

POSSIBLE MILITARY RECORD WITH NAME SPELLED WRONG BORN IN 1917
U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946
about Joseph E Raymond
Name:Joseph E Raymond
Birth Year:1917
Race:White, citizen (White)
Nativity State or Country:Pennsylvania
State of Residence:Pennsylvania
County or City:Somerset
Enlistment Date:30 Oct 1940
Enlistment State:District of Columbia
Enlistment City:Washington
Branch:Air Corps
Branch Code:Air Corps
Grade Code:Private
Term of Enlistment:Three year enlistment
Component:Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
Source:Civil Life
Education:4 years of high school
Marital Status:Single, without dependents
Height:68
Weight:136

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby charlesd81 » 15 Oct 2013, 12:26

Is there any way you can find original documents, birth, death or marriage, for Salvatore di Raimondo age 30 (1827) and Maria Anna Mosca age 23(1834)?
charlesd81

Next

26 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Return to Italian Genealogy