Family Members on Italian Death Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Family Members on Italian Death Records

Postby pb471 » 29 Aug 2013, 23:31

Hello,
I am trying to understand the family relationships listed on an Italian death record. I see witnesses at the bottom of the death certificate and witnesses at the top of the death certificate. Is there a format for certain immediate family members (grandfathers, uncles, brothers etc..) to be listed at the top of the death certificate? I see that at the bottom of many of the death certificates that I am working with, the people listed don't seem to be immediate family, maybe friends or cousins.

Is there a custom or traditional format that apply to Italian funerals and death records?

Any help would be appreciative.

Thanks,
Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pb471

Re: Family Members on Italian Death Records

Postby adelfio » 30 Aug 2013, 02:39

Top of the record witnesses and declares the death,hour and address sometimes family most of the time is not family Ive seen a lot of times gravediggers
Bottom of record is the witnesses who witnessed the signing of the death act
Not to many death acts list the cause of death

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Family Members on Italian Death Records

Postby carmine1917 » 12 Sep 2013, 02:00

Always look to see who announced the death record, in doing this I found a line of my family that went to Catania. But, yes, I agree the people who sign at the bottom are usually people that worked at the records office. The best thing to do is when entering the information of the death record onto a genealogy program, add who announced the death, the further into your research, these people maybe part of your family.
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy