Borruso/Castellamare Del Golfo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Borruso/Castellamare Del Golfo

Postby annettemaria » 30 Aug 2013, 19:06

Hello! My ggrandfather was Simone Borruso, born about 1880 in Castellamare Del Golfo, Trapini, Sicily. It looks like he traveled to America 2-3 times before he finally settled here in about 1913. He married my ggrandmother Mary (Maria) D'Anna and they settled in Niagara Falls, NY. My grandmother, Geraloma, was born in 1923. Mary's family owned a grocery store and most of the family worked there.

Family history has it that Simone was involved in the mob and owned several blocks in New York City. They left Niagara Falls in 1935 and moved to Youngstown Ohio because Simone wanted to get away from the mob life. My grandmother says she remembers traveling to school in a limo. Also, supposedly Simone's family owned land in Castellamare where they grew olive trees.

If this sounds familiar to anyone or comments on how I can find more info, please reply.

Re: Borruso/Castellamare Del Golfo

Postby adelfio » 30 Aug 2013, 21:12

Welcome to IG website unfortunately there are not records of the town Castellammare del Golfo online you will have to either write to the town or go to a Family History Library near your home and order and view the films of Castellammare del Golfo 1820-1910 births, marriages, deaths, banns, citizenship records, supplements, miscellaneous documents.Includes ten-year indexes.
Also there are church records 1616-1910 on film so you could get way back if your family stayed in Castellammare del Golfo

Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Return to “Italian Genealogy”