Giovanni Pierri/Celeste Gula of Montoro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
SynThea
Rookie
Rookie

Giovanni Pierri/Celeste Gula of Montoro

Postby SynThea » 19 Mar 2005, 23:42

Searching for Giovanni Pierri b. May 1861, perhaps Montoro or Salerno and wife Celeste Gula, b. March 1863. Married abt. 1880.

Three children born in Italy = Florence 1882; Levie P. October 1884; Lizzie M. May 1887.

Emigrated 1891; four more children born USA.

Someone kindly sent a link to a Giovanni Pierri Ellis arival in 1896, but was unable to find any reference to his name afte checking many pages.

Still having trouble navigating so please forgive if this is duplicate request!
SynThea
Massachusetts
USA

mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Giovanni Pierri/Celeste Gula of Montoro

Postby mfjp » 20 Mar 2005, 03:00

http://img194.exs.cx/img194/5172/pierri4ek.jpg

First Name: Giovanni
Last Name: Pierri
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Montoro ...
Date of Arrival: March 30, 1896
Age at Arrival:  36y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:    
Ship of Travel: Massilia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0250

mfjp

SynThea
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SynThea » 23 Mar 2005, 00:47

Dear mfjp:

Thought I sent a private message in response, but still not sure if I am using this site properly.

I did look at the link you provided re Giovanni Pierri, but he did not show at line 250, or on any of the 25 or more pages I looked at.

In fact, the manifest had many lines and numbers crossed out and rewritten, so as to be extremely confusing.

Another respondent sent me census data from 1900 Massachusetts which showed the appropriate Giovanni Pierri family with immigration dates of 1891 for the parents and three children. Four more were born in USA. Still looking for point of origin for both parents.

Thanks again for your help and patience!
SynThea

Massachusetts

USA

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 23 Mar 2005, 01:03

SynThea,

If you click on the link mfjp provided, your Giovanni Pierri is on line 250 of that page.

Debbie

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 23 Mar 2005, 02:58

Hi SynThea,

Did not receive any private messages. :cry: Will send you a private message... I also had problems with sending private messages... and I think I may have moved to a different field or section of this website too quickly... and my messages went to who knows where...

or maybe... there wasn't a person listed in the "USERNAME" field... I'm not sure...??

Were you able to view the link I posted? Thank you Debbie! :P

mfjp

p.s. will see if there is a 1891 manifest...

SynThea
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SynThea » 23 Mar 2005, 03:44

Hi mfjp and VaDeb!!!!!

Am not sure what the previous problem was, but I did indeed pull up the Giovanni Pierri 1896 manifest this time. It is definitely much different than whatever I looked at before.

This Giovanni appears to be the right age, but at this point I have no other detail to identify him as the one I seek. Since Montoro seems to be within the right geographical area, it's surely worth pursuing.

I got a separate note that a private message has arrived for me, so I will look for that and respond directly.

Thanks again for your quick response!
SynThea

Massachusetts

USA

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 23 Mar 2005, 04:03

Unfortunately these early manifests don't have alot of detail. At least this one lists a town and not just Italy.

There are records for Montoro for your time period 1861-1899. Not sure which town is yours. But if you order the microfilm you should be able to find your ancestor and know for sure you have the right town.

Italy, Avellino, Montoro Superiore
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Italy, Avellino, Montoro Inferiore
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Debbie

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 23 Mar 2005, 04:46

As promised...

Name:   Giovanni Pierri
Arrival Date:   9 Apr 1891
Estimated Birth Year:   1846
Port of Departure:   Naples, Italy
Destination:   New York
Place of Origin:   Italy
Ship Name:   Cachemire
Port of Arrival:   New York
Nativity:   Italy

Line:   2

http://img163.exs.cx/img163/5631/18915ga.jpg

SynThea
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SynThea » 23 Mar 2005, 05:06

Oh, my ... this Giovanni shows dob 1846???? Mine is confirmed 1860 or 1861. That makes this one likely too young to be the FATHER of the person I am looking for.

I guess I was hoping a 1891 manifest would show the Giovanni I seek, plus wife & children.

Well, it's another clue... who knows what will turn up next.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated!
SynThea

Massachusetts

USA

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 23 Mar 2005, 07:27

What would be the Italian name for Levie be?

SynThea
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SynThea » 23 Mar 2005, 13:41

Maria:

Have only seen it spelled as Levie or Levi, although seems likely a shortened version of something else.

I know there were at least another two generations of the name, spelled Levi, because they were the father (b. about 1920) and brother (b. about 1950) of a girl I went to school with. I never knew until recent years she and I were related (although by marriage, not directly.... cousins-in-law, maybe????)

Is it worth putting the question on the "other" forum ... that is to say, not under the Giovanni/Celeste topic? Perhaps others have seen this first name somewhere?

All best,
SynThea
SynThea

Massachusetts

USA

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 24 Mar 2005, 09:28

mfjp wrote:What would be the Italian name for Levie be?

Hi mfjp: can be
Florence= Fiorenza
Lizzie=Elisabetta
Levie(?)an diminutive of Lawrence= Lorenzo... more is possible that the surname of Celeste was Gulla and not Gula...?
for my experience, I can say that normally, the info supplied from descendants for search ( more that incomplete obviously), are just around 60% .. so are possible that some data are incorrect; but if the year emigration is 1891 SURE, but is very strange that this people not find on record from 1880/1891... and also after...probable misspelled..
many regards from Italy,
tanti saluti dall'Italia,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

SynThea
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SynThea » 24 Mar 2005, 13:15

Hello, again, suanj:

I have appreciated your many contributions to this forum ... regarding referenced family ...

Fiorenza (Florence) Pierrie, daughter of Giovanni Pierri and Celeste Gula, is a direct ancestor in the line I am tracing and the Italian version of her name shows on her 1900 Norfolk, Massachusetts USA marriage certificate. Her mother's name on that certificate is Celestia Prumolla - I think this may be a middle name. Celeste's death certificate (1952) says her father was Joseph Gula.

Fiorenza married Leopoldo (later Paul) Palladeno, son of Domenic Antonio Palladeno and Maria Saggese. The groom's mother's name on the document is spelled Maria Sciggero!

You may recall Maria Saggese, her mother Elisabetta Longobardi and Maria's son Leopoldo (Paul, age 12) were all on the 1891 immigration manifest you sent for me March 14. I apologize I don't know how to pull out the quotes to make this easier.

It seems likely these families came from the same geographic area (identified only as "Salerno", except for Montoro on a Giovanni Pierri 1896 manifest we have not authenticated) and all clues point to 1891 as the date they came over.

Regarding surname Gula ... a search a while ago at Ellis Island turned up many of this name. It appeared that they were not of Italian extraction, but perhaps Austrian??? I wasn't able to find anything useful. It is also possible that they may have come to the port of Boston, rather New York.

I am so grateful for the help and interest shown by you and other contributors ... I am certain we are getting closer to the information we seek.

All best wishes,
SynThea

Massachusetts

USA

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 24 Mar 2005, 13:32

Great info suanj and SynThea...

Just adding something further....

J U L A

Regarding surname Gula ... a search a while ago at Ellis Island turned up many of this name. It appeared that they were not of Italian extraction, but perhaps Austrian??? I wasn't able to find anything useful. It is also possible that they may have come to the port of Boston, rather New York.

There are many manifests with this surname!!!

Just found this out at the end of the evening... and have yet to check these people out...

So still more to look into! :P :P :P

mfjp

Return to “Italian Genealogy”