Surname Nicifore/Philipponi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Surname Nicifore/Philipponi

Postby d8kat » 25 Mar 2005, 23:52

Here is what I know about my family...I am specifically interested in finding any Nicifores in Italy...I'm pretty sure the name was misspelled when he came to Canada, my step grandfather told me it was spelled N'ceforo...I've checked out the Ellis Island site, and there was a Nicolo Niceforo who came across, but I don't know how to go further than that. My Dad told me there were over 20 children in my Grandfather's family, so I'm pretty sure that there must be some left in Italy. One of the brothers was a cardinal in the Catholic Church, the father I think was Joseph, and owned a flour mill which he gave to this son as a sort of dowry for the church. I later was told that Nicolo's name was Cosmo, but that he never used it.

Filipponi - Nicifore Familiesâ€â€
d8kat

Re: Surname Nicifore/Philipponi

Postby brujaojos » 27 Mar 2005, 06:21

d8kat wrote:Here is what I know about my family...I am specifically interested in finding any Nicifores in Italy...I'm pretty sure the name was misspelled when he came to Canada, my step grandfather told me it was spelled N'ceforo...I've checked out the Ellis Island site, and there was a Nicolo Niceforo who came across, but I don't know how to go further than that. My Dad told me there were over 20 children in my Grandfather's family, so I'm pretty sure that there must be some left in Italy. One of the brothers was a cardinal in the Catholic Church, the father I think was Joseph, and owned a flour mill which he gave to this son as a sort of dowry for the church. I later was told that Nicolo's name was Cosmo, but that he never used it.

I would be thrilled with any information about these people.

Thanks,
G

Hi There,

The microfilm for the town of Camini which is in Calabria. You can order and rent the film from your local Family History Center. The link below is the microfilm numbers, however, it is limited to 1809-1865.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

I hope this is of some help to you.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby mfjp » 27 Mar 2005, 08:43

I would be thrilled with any information about these people.

Thanks,
G

Looks like you've done quite well with your research!!

Is there a MONTREAL, Canadian connection to the Nicifore's? Seems like a few made their first Canadian stop to Montreal from Ellis Island...

I did an Ellis Island search of just passengers coming from Camini only... just a handful though...

www.ellisislandrecords.com (search with exact spelling shown below)

Nicefaro,Teresa Camini 1903  age 12
Nicefaro,Tobia Camini 1904  age 45
Niceforo,Nicola Camini 1905  age 40 going to Montreal...
Niceforo,Teresa Camini, Italy 1903  age 12
Niciforo,Pietro Camini, Italy 1913  age 16
------------------------------------------------
This particular name comes from both towns Stignano, Calabria and Camini... towns very close to each other... only a 6 minute drive ... scroll down and you will see the map...

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/euro ... i&2z=&2ah=

------------------------------------------------

Coming from Stignano
Niccifora,Raffaele Stignano, Italy 1912 age... 20
Niceforo,Ilario Stignano 1903 23
Niceforo,Nicola Stignano 1898 26
Niceforo,Raffaele Stignano 1903 14
Nicifaro,Erminio Stignano, Italy 1912 25
Nicifaro,Giovanni Stignano 1900 33
Niciforo,Nicola Stignano, Italy 1912 35
Niofaro,Nicola Stignano 1907 36
Nirifaro,Pietro Stignano 1900 22
-------------------------------------------------

And I wonder how much of Greek connection there is to these people as well...??

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby d8kat » 28 Mar 2005, 06:19

:D Thank you Trish and mfjp! I'll try those out as soon as I can figure out where a family history center is...also, that's a lot more hits than I got on the Ellis Island site...wow!

Actually I was wondering how to check out if I still have family in Italy...I thought with 24 children, there must be a few around there still, but I have no idea how to figure out proper spelling etc...are there history centers in Italy that I can access?
d8kat

Postby mfjp » 28 Mar 2005, 06:34

I wish we could all go to a Family History center in Italy... but a Family History Center could also be closer to your own home in Alberta... and probably a lot cheaper... :P

To find a FHC near you...

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

There are many locations in Alberta... but do phone them first, because I know in the past, some were closed due to inactivity... but that's changed in the last couple of years... much more popular now...

Here's some great info that Trish wrote...

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581

Good luck with your research... you've done very well... this is your thing!!

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby d8kat » 28 Mar 2005, 06:47

:D Thank you mfjp! Those links are very helpful!

I appreciate you and Trish taking the time to answer my post, I'm new here, that was my first post. I haven't really done a lot of exploring on this site yet, but I'm looking foreward to being here more. Those links are just what I need for a starting place.

I found a Family History Center pretty close to my home!

Again, thank you both! :wink:
d8kat

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy