birth and church records in Venice and Trieste

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nic5541

birth and church records in Venice and Trieste

Postby nic5541 » 14 Oct 2013, 04:59

Hello everyone,

I am looking for birth and church records in Venice and Trieste from the 1770s-1790s. I found family which are both from Trieste and Venice but I have no idea where to get records for them. The records do not state specifically where in the city where my ancestors where born, but just the name of the city.

The family moved to Bitritto,Bari, but they were originally from Venice and Trieste. My ancestor Tomasso Rotundo, I believe to be born in Trieste, because that is what it says on his marriage and death certificate. Tomasso's mom, Giulia Toso, I believe to be born in Venice, despite her death cert saying she was born in Trieste, because Toso is a common name in Venice and GIulia's mom's name is Domenica Bragonini, and I hear names ending in -ini are common in Venice. I am also interested by this family and I would like to find as many records as I can, especially the Tosos, the Bragoninis and the Rotundos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nic5541

Re: birth and church records in Venice and Trieste

Postby nic5541 » 14 Oct 2013, 05:02

The death cert of Giulia Tosa is on the left
The marriage cert of Tomasso Rotundo is on the right
The marriage cert of Giulia Tosa is on the right

Please also note that I wasn't sure about Giulia's surname until recently, so the records are still labeled as Tosa, because I found the records before I was sure about the surname.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 14 Oct 2013, 16:19

There are a lot of churches in Trieste that's like a needle in the haystack
I would try first to look for the children of Tomasso Rotundo and see on the right side of the birth record see if a church is listed on the baptism side
If it says chiesa di Bitritto that just means church of Bitritto you need a name of a church

You could also try to email the Parrocchia S. Maria di Costantinopoli in Bitritto and ask in they have records from 1740-1800 in their church registry
email: mcostantinopoli.bitritto@arcidiocesibaribitonto.it

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

nic5541

Postby nic5541 » 14 Oct 2013, 16:32

Hi marty,

Tomasso's children were all born in Bitritto. It is him, his siblings and his father who were born in Trieste.

That is the correct parish in Bitritto, but unfortunately they cannot do record requests for the time being, because they just got a new priest. I wanted to get Tomasso's father death cert (Nicola Rotundo), but I can't for the reason mentioned above.

What I do have from the parish, is the 1820 church marriage record of Tomasso Rotundo and Francesca Savino.

Also, processeti or allegati do not exist for this time period, so it makes the research even harder.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”