Piombini's In uk

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
wayne weedon

Piombini's In uk

Postby wayne weedon » 16 Oct 2013, 17:52

Hello

Hoping someone has come accross the Piombini name before.

My Paternal Great Grandmother Gina Piombini was Half Italian. Her father was Ettorre (Hector) Piombini who seems to first appear in UK Census records in the 1891 census.

In 1891 he's a lodger at an address in Soho with a whole load of other Italians. He's recorded as Ettorre Piombini from Leongo, Italy. I have never heard of this location however it could be a recording clerks error of course.

Head of this household is a Giovanni Calandra and the address is 3 Earls Court.

1901 Census he's now married to Victorina Pyle who is English and place of birth is "Italian Subject"

Some family seem to think he's from the Pisa area. Are there any places near Pisa that could be mispelt Leongo?

On his marriage certificate his father is listed as Antonio Piombini - Hotel Keeper.

My great grandmother Gina is listed as being born in Italy in 1897 all her other siblings are UK born.

One of his other daughters was tragically murdered in 1926 at Thundersley, Essex, England. The murderer was hung at Pentonville prison the same year.

Hectors english family did not stray too far. They owned several properties in Fulham, mainly on Lillie Road, and Ongar Road.

He was a waiter at the Cafe Monaco which appears to have been in Regent Street. This was a establishment where the waiters paid to wait there and no doubt earned their money in tips alone.

Can anyone assist at all with his origins in Italy?

Wayne....

wayne weedon

Re: Piombini's In uk

Postby wayne weedon » 16 Oct 2013, 19:00

For those interested here is a news clipping regarding the Murder trial.

We learnt quite a lot from this, especially putting real names to family nicknames.

[url]http://fdos-design.com/family_history/piombini-murder-trial.jpg
[/url]

The image is too large to embed, and rescaling it will make it hard to read.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 16 Oct 2013, 19:34

POSSIBLE the village of Leognano is a frazione (suburb) of Montorio al Vomano , in the province of Teramo , region Abruzzo

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

wayne weedon

Postby wayne weedon » 16 Oct 2013, 20:14

Sounds very plausibl,e.

The 1911 Census he has Lonigs, Italy which I'm fairly sure is a transcription error.

I have not seen the actual census page image for 1911 only the transcript, they even got his forename drastically messed up on that transcripton too.

Wayne...

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 16 Oct 2013, 20:59

wayne weedon wrote:Sounds very plausibl,e.

The 1911 Census he has Lonigs, Italy which I'm fairly sure is a transcription error.

I have not seen the actual census page image for 1911 only the transcript, they even got his forename drastically messed up on that transcripton too.

Wayne...

This could POSSIBLY be referencing LONIGO, province Vicenza, region Veneto :-)

T.

wayne weedon

Postby wayne weedon » 17 Oct 2013, 11:16

Thanks for that Tessa. That seems even more possible.

A fellow researcher has managed to get a copy of the 1911 census sheet from the findmypast website and I'm awaiting a copy to actually study what Hector wrote in his own hand.

I guess once I am fairly sure of the place he came from I will have to work out how to locate his birth records in Italy. Thats a whole new ball game for me!

Wayne..

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 17 Oct 2013, 15:22

wayne weedon wrote:Thanks for that Tessa. That seems even more possible.

A fellow researcher has managed to get a copy of the 1911 census sheet from the findmypast website and I'm awaiting a copy to actually study what Hector wrote in his own hand.

I guess once I am fairly sure of the place he came from I will have to work out how to locate his birth records in Italy. Thats a whole new ball game for me!

Wayne..

What was the spelling of his last name in the 1911 census

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

wayne weedon

Postby wayne weedon » 17 Oct 2013, 19:33

Marty

His last name seems to have been "PIOMBINI" on all the documents I have seen so far.

His first name was "ETTORE" on 1991 census and changes to the English version "HECTOR" on all other documents except his Death record which is "ETTORE A PIOMBINI"

One might speculate the Middle name is Antonio after his father.

Wayne...

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 17 Oct 2013, 20:18

wayne weedon wrote:Marty

His last name seems to have been "PIOMBINI" on all the documents I have seen so far.

His first name was "ETTORE" on 1991 census and changes to the English version "HECTOR" on all other documents except his Death record which is "ETTORE A PIOMBINI"

One might speculate the Middle name is Antonio after his father.

Wayne...

You may wish to see what is written on his death record...
Here is the index listing:

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007 about Ettore A Piombini
Name: Ettore A Piombini
Birth Date: abt 1865
Date of Registration: Jun 1934
Age at Death: 69
Registration District: Rochford
Inferred County: Essex
Volume: 4a
Page: 690

T.

wayne weedon

Postby wayne weedon » 17 Oct 2013, 20:28

Tessa

Yes thats one I need to order. If he died in Essex, then it's likely they still had their guesthouse in Thundersley Essex 8 years after his daughter was murdered.

His widow died in 1959 in Fulham, London.

Wayne..

wayne weedon

Postby wayne weedon » 17 Oct 2013, 20:35

I have just been told by my great uncle that he may have a letter from Italy (late 1800's) which may shed some light on it.

It's very myterious as he seems to recall it's about importing a statue from Italy.

Once I have a copy I should know a little more.

wayne weedon

Postby wayne weedon » 18 Oct 2013, 12:35

It seems to be definately "Lonigo" recorded by Hectors wife Victoria in the 1911 Census.

Where I go from here I'm not sure. How does one try to get information from Italian records?

Full page is here

http://fdos-design.com/family_history/piombini_1911_census_scanned_1024.jpg

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 18 Oct 2013, 16:55

Lonigo is right spelling.. Tessa you are right...
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 18 Oct 2013, 16:59

Since civil registrations (births, deaths, etc.) are held at the comune(town) level, you can write directly to the Comune of Lonigo to request the birth records of both Ettore (about 1863-65) and for his daughter Luigina (about 1898).

Here is the address, AND a link to sites that will assist you with writing your request in Italian... :-)

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Castelgiuncoli, 5
36045 Lonigo (VI)
ITALY

Help with letters of request in Italian
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter3.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords

[color=#0000FF]Ciao, suanj! :-) Hugs to you![/color]

T.

wayne weedon

Postby wayne weedon » 18 Oct 2013, 17:55

suanj wrote:Lonigo is right spelling.. Tessa you are right...
suanj

Yes, and just shows you should not rely on Transcriptions 100%

As I said above 1891 the census recorder wrote down "Leongo" and is was transcribed as such.

1901 They got lazy and just wrote "Italian Subject"

..and 1911 Ettore's wife wrote it correctly as "Lonigo" and it was transcribed as "Lonigs" I admit her "o" could be mistaken for an "s" next to Ettore's name but not Luigina's.

Actually seeing the document gives us some clarity!

Wayne..

Return to “Italian Genealogy”