Surnames: Speranzella and Giancola

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dee1224

Surnames: Speranzella and Giancola

Post by dee1224 »

Looking for anyone with knowledge of Michele Speranzella who married Libera Giantola in Campobasso Italy. Their son Cosmo Speranzella immegrated to the US in 1901. I am interested in finding out about the Giantola side of the family. It is my understanding that Libera Giancola is my great great grandmother. Michele and children immigrated to the US and Libera stayed in Italy. Thank you.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surnames: Speranzella and Giancola

Post by brujaojos »

dee1224 wrote:Looking for anyone with knowledge of Michele Speranzella who married Libera Giantola in Campobasso Italy. Their son Cosmo Speranzella immegrated to the US in 1901. I am interested in finding out about the Giantola side of the family. It is my understanding that Libera Giancola is my great great grandmother. Michele and children immigrated to the US and Libera stayed in Italy. Thank you.
Hi,

Do you know where the family settled? I believe that Michele and Libera were in the USA for I found them in the 1920 Federal Census in Maryland.

Name: Micheal Speranzella
Estimated birth year: abt 1858
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Baltimore, Baltimore (Independent City), Maryland
Roll: T625_657
Page: 22A
ED: 36
Image: 0903

He is there with his wife Libera (age 56), and sons Pasquale and Nicholas.

Maybe Mfjp can post the census for you.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

http://img142.exs.cx/img142/6717/speranz2ut.jpg

looks like Libera didn't stay in Italy!!!:?:

great find Trish...

:P

and-heres-the-manifest...

page1
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0477%2ETIF

page2
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 3897010296

mfjp
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

The civil records for Campobasso...birth, death, and marriage records...are available on microfilm at the Family History Library nearest to your home. Go to www.familysearch.org and you can check the library holdings. These records are in Italian but can be read with perseverence and a translation dictionary.

Found the following as well:

1910 Census of Baltimore, Baltimore, MD
ED 28, page 2B

All in the same household (Antonio must be a the cousin mentioned below)
Lapitina, Antonio, age 44, married 18 years, born Italy
--------, Anna M, age 38, married 18 years, had 8 children, 6
children living, born Italy
--------, Frank, age 21, born MD
--------, Peter A., age 16, born MD
--------, Joseph, age 8, born MD
--------, Tony F., age 6, born MD
--------, Anna N, age 3, born MD
--------, Teresa, age 13, born MD
--------, Assunta, age 32, sister-in-law, born MD
Speranzella, Cosmo, age 27, married 4 years, born Italy, arrive 1900
-----------, Filomena, age 23, married 4 years, had 3 children, 2
children living, born MD
-----------, Michael, age 2, born MD
-----------, Mary, age 9 m, born MD
-----------, Michael, father, age 52, WD(?) born Italy, arrived 1906
-----------, Joseph, brother, age 17, born Italy, arrived 1908
???????????, Amadia?????? cousin, age 27, born Italy

1920 Census of Baltimore, Baltimore, MD
ED 36, page 22A

Speranzella, Michele, age 62, arrived 1906, born Italy
-----------, Libera, age 56, arrived 1913, born Italy
-----------, Nicholas, age 34, arrived 1906, born Italy
-----------, Pasquale, age 15, arrived 1913, born Italy

1930 Census, Baltimore, Baltimore, MD
Ed 4-32 page 17A

Speranzella, Mike, age 72, born Italy, arrived 1899
-----------, Alberta, age 66, born Italy, arrived 1899
-----------, Nick, age 44, born Italy, arrived 1904

1930 Census Baltimore, Baltimore, MD
ED 4-39 Page 16A
Speranzella, Charles, age 46, married at 23, born Italy, arrived 1901
naturalized
-----------, Philomena V., age 42, married at 19, born Maryland
-----------, Michael L., age 21 born MD
-----------, Constance G., sons, age 19, born MD
-----------, Dominico M., age 16, born MD
-----------, Anthony L, age 13, born MD
-----------, Stella L, age 10, born MD
Di Saia, Maria A., neice, age 12, born MD
-------, Constance M, nephew, age 10, born MD

1930 Census, Baltimore, Baltimore, MD
ED 4-457 page 6A

Speranzella, Joseph, age 38, married at 23, born Italy, arrived 1909,
naturalized
-----------, Mary age 32, married 18, born Italy, arrived 1902,
naturalized
-----------, Alberta, age 12, born MD
-----------, Michael, age 10, born MD
-----------, Carmella, age 8, born MD
-----------, Lucille, age 3y 7m, born MD

WWI Military Registrations
Giuseppe Speranzella, living at 416 S. E???St., Baltimore
Born Feb 9, 1893 in Campobasso, Italy
Tailor, married

SSDI
Cosimo Speranzella born 26 July 1883, died Oct. 1973
Patsy Speranzella, born 5 Jan 1905, died July 1977

Ellis Island
Michele Speranzella arrived at Ellis ISland on May 17, 1906,
out of port of Naples, age 48, married, residing in Campobasso,
Italy, to meet his son Cosimo in Baltimore. The ship was Madonna.

Cosimo arrived on April 12, 1901 at Ellis Island, age 18 meet
his cousin Antonio in NY. The ships was the Buenos Aires.

Libera Giancola arrived on Feb. 15, 1914 out of Port of Naples
at the age of 51. With her were a daughter Gianovva, age 15 and
son Pasquale, age 8 under surname of Speranzello. She left her daughter, Carmella Speranzella in Campobasso. All on the way to
Baltimore to meet Michele. All were born in Campobasso. The ship
was the Venezia. She was indexed under the name Libira Gioncola.

Carmella Speranzella also arrived in the US. Check her out at www.ellisisland.org

Good Luck
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Cosmo Speranzella was born on 26 JUL 1883 in Campobasso (CB), the son of Michele Speranzella, age 24, and Libera Giancola,. FHL INTL Film 1733189, NATI 1883, Numero 366.

Michele Speranzella, age 24, born in Campobasso (CB), genitori ignolti, and Libera Giancola, age 18, born in Campobasso (CB), daughter of Cosmo Giancola and Cristina Romano, were married on 09 NOV 1882 in Campobasso (CB). FHL INTL Film 1733313, MATRIMONI 1882, Numero 89.

Note: Michele Speranzella's parents are not named; instead the words genitori ignolti are substituted, meaning "parents unknown". Michele Speranzella was a proietto [foundling] and was arbitrarily assigned the surname Speranzella by a civil official of the comune of Campobasso soon after his abandonment at the ruota di proietti [foundlings' home]. It was not the surname of his father. This was common practice in Italy, where approximately 4-5% of the children born in the late 19th century were abandoned. The date of abandonment and the name given to the foundling were recorded in the Registri della Stato Civile [Register of Civil Records], together with an estimate of the foundling's age and the name of the wet-nurse (and her husband) into whose care the foundling was given. Some abandoned children were brought up as quasi-adopted members of the family of the assigned wet-nurse.

Libera Giancola was born circa 1863/1864 in Campobasso (CB), the daughter of Cosmo Dammiano Giancola and Cristina Romano.

Cosmo Dammiano Giancola and Cristina Romano were married on 05 MAR 1848 in Campobasso (CB). FHL INTL Film 1443308, MATRIMONI 1848, No. d'ordine 12.

Cosmo Dammiano Giancola was born on 27 SEP 1822 in Campobasso (CB), the son of Francesco Paolo Giancola, age 27, and Cornelia Palazzo, age 24. FHL INTL Film 1443308, PROCESSETTI 1848, Numero del Reg. 12, foglio 1.

Cristina Romano was born on 20 DEC 1827 in Campobasso (CB), the daughter of Domenico Romano and Maria Vittoria del Rosso. FHL INTL Film 1443308, PROCESSETTI 1848, Numero del Reg. 12, foglio 2

Domenico Romano and Maria Vittoria del Rosso were married on 07 MAY 1822 in Campobasso (CB). FHL INTL Film 1443289, MATRIMONI 1822, No. d’ordine 40.

Domenico Romano was born on 24 NOV 1791 in Campobasso (CB), the son of Biase Romano, age 37, and Cristina Gambacorta. FHL INTL Film 1443289, PROCESSETTI 1822, No. del Reg. 40, foglio 1. He died on 25 NOV 1856 in Campobasso (CB). FHL INTL Film 1443358, PROCESSETTI 1859, No. dello Stato Civile 65, foglio 4

Maria Vittoria del Rosso was born on 03 OCT1801 in Campobasso (CB), the daughter of Giuseppe (di Giovanni) del Rosso, age 26/30, and Emilia Rosa Iannandrea, age 19. FHL INTL Film 1443289, PROCESSETTI 1822, No. del Reg. 40, foglio 2.

Biase Romano died on 30 DEC 1800 in Campobasso (CB), age 46, son of Barone Gregorio Romano and Cecilia Pietrunti. FHL INTL Film 1443289, PROCESSETTI 1822, No. del Reg. 40, foglio 3.

Barone Gregorio Romano died on 24 JUN 1763 in Campobasso (CB), age 46, son of Barone Salvatore Romano and Leonarda (Lonarda) Villano. FHL INTL Film 1443289, PROCESSETTI 1822, No. del Reg. 40, foglio 4.

Barone Salvatore Romano died on 23 AUG 1755 in Campobasso (CB). FHL INTL Film 1443291, PROCESSETTI 1825, No. del Reg. 9, foglio 4.

Note: Although there is some historical disagreement, the feudal control of Campobasso probably began with the reign of Roberto d'Angio. The first feudal family universally recognized was the Monforte-Gambatesa (c.1300-1495) --- Castello Monforte is named after this family. The Monforte family was followed by: Capua (1495-1559); Gonzaga (1559-1638); Vitagliano (1638-1639); Carafa (1639-1740); and Romano (1740-1806). Salvatore Romano was a man of honest means who was declared baron by popular acclimation after the campobassani overthrew the reign of the Carafa.

Congratulations! You are a direct descendent of the last barons of Campobasso! While we share four surnames (Romano, del Rosso, Pietrunti, and Villano), I have not made any confirmed connections to your family tree. My 6GGF was Francesco Romano, but I have been unable to find the names of his parents. You have a relative who is also a member of this forum: Grannybirdie, who joined Feb 12, 2005. She is also a direct descendent of Cosmo Speranzella.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

PS: Barone Salvatore Romano died at age 75. Therefore, his calculated year of birth is 1679/1680.
John Armellino
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

John.........

You are a dear! I know Dee will be amazed and excited to read your message.....

What a wonderful gift of your time for her. I am in awe of the detail you provided about Michele. I just know she will be thrilled.

Have a great day......
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi all,

Just imagine...this post is less than 24 hours old!! Dee's post went up late last night... she will be thrilled when she see's all this!!

mfjp :P
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

John,

What a wonderful gift you have for Dee. As someone who has spent many hours at the microfilm viewer reading Italian records I know the time and effort that this gift contains.

This site is fantastic. The answers that are found and shared.

Debbie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

John......that is amazing, and to provide the detail and depth of your reply,
all in the spirit of sharing.....this site and the members here never cease to inspire me.........
wldspirit
dee1224

Post by dee1224 »

Thanks you all very much! This is alot to comprehend at one time .... it is truly amazing. My aunt is also a member of this forum, granniebirdie ... she really has been getting alot of information and caused me to become excited and seek information too. I do not know how y'all do all of this but it is much appreciated!
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

JohnArmellino wrote:Congratulations! You are a direct descendent of the last barons of Campobasso! While we share four surnames (Romano, del Rosso, Pietrunti, and Villano), I have not made any confirmed connections to your family tree. My 6GGF was Francesco Romano, but I have been unable to find the names of his parents. You have a relative who is also a member of this forum: Grannybirdie, who joined Feb 12, 2005. She is also a direct descendent of Cosmo Speranzella.
Hi John,

Wow! The information you provided is outstanding!!!! Plus, it's so wonderful to see someone like yourself as well as many of the other members in this group like Mfjp, Suanj, Wldspirit Essgee, JamesBianco, VaDeb, and many others who are all willing to help and share their knowledge with the group!

This is the BEST GROUP around!!!!!! :D
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Grannybirdie and Dee

While researching the diversi records of Campobasso (CB) last night, I ran across the birth record of Michele Speranzella [FHL INTL Film 1442252, DIVERSI 1858 N. d'ordine 4]. I thought you might like some details.

Michele Speranzella was abandoned at the ruota di projetti in Campobasso on the night of 09 JAN 1858 (more specifically, at the 2nd hour). He appeared to be one day old. Palmarosa Ricciuti, impiegata nella ruota di projetto [employee or representative of the foundlings' home], presented him to Mayor Cesare Palombo, who then assigned to him the name Michele Speranzella and appointed Maria Agostinelli, wife of Amodio Palladino, as his wet nurse. He was baptized on 09 JAN 1858 at Chiesa di S. Angelo [aka Chiesa S.S. Angelo e Mercurio aka Chiesa Parrocchiale delle S.S. Michele Arcangelo e Mercurio].

Note: Maria Agostinelli was herself a projetta and Amodio Palladino is my 2C4R. Their infant daughter Carolina had died 04 JAN 1858 and, as was the custom in Campobasso, the mother took in a projetto to wet nurse and otherwise care for. Maria Agostinelli was not a quasi-professional wet nurse, although Michele Speranzella was not the first projetto she had cared for. In 1839, she had taken in a projetta after the death of her infant daughter Raffaela. This followed the usual pattern of caring for projetti in Campobasso - mothers of still-born or deceased infants would take in and care for the children abandoned at the ruota di projetti.

Note: Chiesa di S. Mercurio was one of the older churches in Campobasso, being located within the medieval walls of the old city. It is no longer an active church, although the actual building still exists today. It is located down a small narrow street that dead-ends at the front of the church. However, the doors and windows have been cemented shut, which lends the church a certain eeriness about it. Chiesa di S. Angelo no longer exists.
John Armellino
carm6281

Post by carm6281 »

My name is Carmella, my grandmother was CARMELLA CERRO (SPERANZELLA) daughter of Michael and Libera. I would like to hear from anyone who is related to this family.

I was so excited to find this information. It appears that this is a very large family. My great grandmother, Libera is buried in Baltimore at Holy Reedemer Cemetery, which i visited two days ago and I put flowers on their grave. Michael, Libera and Nicolas their son are buried there.

I look forward to hearing from you.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Carmela

We are not related by blood, but your GGF Michele Speranzella was cared for (as an infant) by my 2C4R Amodio Palladino and his wife Maria Agostinelli. Maybe that makes us some sort of quasi-cousins? Since my last post here, I have found some additional ancestors of your GGM Libera Giancola. Her Ahnentafel Chart, as per my database, is now as follows:

[align=center]First Generation[/align]

1. Libera Giancola was born about 1864 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d'Italia.

Libera married Michele Speranzella on 09 NOV 1882 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d'Italia. Michele was born about 08 JAN 1858 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d'Italia. He was christened on 09 JAN 1858 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Italia. He was a foundling, who was placed in the care of Amodio Palladino and Maria Agostinelli.

[align=center]Second Generation[/align]

2. Cosmo Dammiano Giancola was born on 27 SEP 1822 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie. He was christened on 30 SEP 1822 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie. He died on 26 JUN 1883 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d'Italia. He married Cristina Romano on 05 MAR 1848 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie.

3. Cristina Romano was born on 20 DEC 1827 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie. She was christened on 22 DEC 1827 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie.

[align=center]Third Generation[/align]

4. Francesco Paolo Giancola was born about 1795/1802 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. He died on 18 JAN 1862 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d'Italia. He married Cornelia Palazzo.

5. Cornelia Palazzo was born about 1790/1798 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. She died on 08 AUG 1870 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d'Italia.

6. Domenico Romano was born on 24 NOV 1791 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. He died on 25 NOV 1856 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie. He married Maria Vittoria del Rosso on 07 MAY 1822 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie.

7. Maria Vittoria del Rosso was born on 03 OCT 1801 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. She died on 17 SEP 1867 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d'Italia.

[align=center]Fourth Generation[/align]

8. Pasquale Giancola was born about 1770. He died on 14 AUG 1802 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. He married Dorodea Felicia Mancini.

9. Dorodea Felicia Mancini was born about 1770 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. She died on 20 MAY 1840 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie.

10. Donato Palazzo was born about 1760/1772 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. He died on 13 DEC 1839 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie. He married Serafina Santoro.

11. Serafina Santoro was born about 1779 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. She died on 10 MAY 1839 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie.

12. Biase Romano was born about 1754. He died on 30 DEC 1800 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. He married Cristina Gambacorta.

13. Cristina Gambacorta was born about 1752 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. She died on 28 APR 1827 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie.

14. Giuseppe del Rosso was born about 1771/1775 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. He died on 19 SEP 1841 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie. He married Emilia Rosa Iannandrea.

15. Emilia Rosa Iannandrea was born about 1766/1780 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. She died on 09 JUL 1846 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie.

[align=center]Fifth Generation[/align]

16. Giuseppe Giancola was born about 1737. He died on 09 OCT 1802 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. He married Michelina di Rosa.

17. Michelina di Rosa.

18. Antonio Mancini. Antonio married Costanza [surname unknown].

19. Costanza [surname unknown].

20. Nicola Palazzo. Nicola married Cornelia Romano.

21. Cornelia Romano.

22. Alessandro Santoro. Alessandro married Carmela Gallo.

23. Carmela Gallo.

24. Barone Gregorio Romano was born about 1717. He died on 24 JUN 1763 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. He married Cecilia Pietrunti.

25. Cecilia Pietrunti.

26. Gregorio Gambacorta. Gregorio married Aurelia de Lellis.

27. Aurelia de Lellis.

28. Giovanni del Rosso.

30. Giovanni Iannandrea. Giovanni married Elisabetta Pietrunti.

31. Elisabetta Pietrunti was born about 1740. She died on 19 JUL 1815 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli.

[align=center]Sixth Generation[/align]

48. Barone Salvatore Romanowas born about 1680. He died on 23 AUG 1755 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. He married Leonarda Villano.

49. Leonarda Villano.

50. Bartolomeo Pietrunti.

62. Giuseppe Pietrunti was born about 1706. He died on 19 JUL 1756 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. He married Agnese Rinaldi.

63. Agnese Rinaldi was born about 1711. She died on 25 OCT 1766 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, your Giancola line is directly descended from the last barons of Campobasso! An earlier post also describes the circumstances of yout GGF Michel Speranzella's birth. If you would like an expanded Ahnentafel Chart, which includes all sources, send me a PM with your e-mail address. The sources will allow you to find and view the actual records which have been filmed by the LDS.
John Armellino