DeMaria or DiMaria in Castelventrano, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DeMaria-Turello

DeMaria or DiMaria in Castelventrano, Sicily

Postby DeMaria-Turello » 23 Oct 2013, 05:02

My grandparents were born and married in Castelvetrano and came to USA in 1904.
My mom is first born American and her two siblings are deceased and she will be 90 in June 2014.
Her life long dreams are few.
1) was to always get to Sicily to see Castelvetrano (but not likely)
2) See her parents birth and marriage certificate
3) her fathers military record
4) Possible pictures of their homes or area they lived.
5) Possible pictures of any of her ancestors.

I have been doing this search for a long while now. God willing she lives (she is currently pretty healthy) I want to put as much of items 2-5 together for her 90th birthday.

So if there is anyone, anyone that can help me, point me in a direction, etc. I would be so ever greatful.
I don't speak or write Italian and I have minimal money but am willing to pawn jewelry and anything I can to get up money to get answers. But I know I can't get enough to travel to Italy, though I would give my right arm if it would get me there!.

Thank you to anyone that will or can help me.

Names are:
My grandfather: Angelo DeMaria (but have been told that in Italy sometimes spelt DiMaria)
Who died in New York, USA May 15, 1938
His Father & Mother: Gregorio DeMaria and Sebastiana Montalbano

My grandmother: Vincenza Calia
Her Father & Mother: Elizabetta Calderoni and Nicolo Calia

All of them are from Castelvetrano. My grandparents own land in Castelvetrano but no one has been able to find record papers that my grandmother had since she died in New York, USA May 16, 1965

My Grandparents were married in 1/25/1900 in Castelvetrano.
They had 3 daughters, all born in the USA
They lived in St Charles, Illinois USA
Then moved to Brooklyn, New Your USA

They were both buried at St John's Cemetary in Queens, New York USA

With Hope of Some Help!
Thank you
Judi

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: DeMaria or DiMaria in Castelventrano, Sicily

Postby adelfio » 23 Oct 2013, 15:09

There are records of Castelvetrano 1820-1910 on film at your local Family History Center for rent for viewing and copying of Births, marriages, deaths, miscellaneous documents, banns, citizenship records, supplements You should be able to find the info you seek with the films

Family History Center Locator
https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator

About Italian Records
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... al_Records

Ordering Films
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... ory_Center

Reading Italian Records
https://familysearch.org/learningcenter ... 22Italy%22

Films of Castelvetrano available from FHC
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: DeMaria or DiMaria in Castelventrano, Sicily

Postby adelfio » 23 Oct 2013, 15:43

As far as the military record of Angelo de Maria you can email or write the ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI TRAPANI

Archivio di Stato di Trapani
Via Libertà 35
91100 Trapani (TP)
Italy

E-mail: as-tp@beniculturali.it

Archivio di Stato di Trapani
dott.ssa Santina SAMBITO

OGGETTO: Richiesta esito di leva di Angelo de Maria di Gregorio classe di nascita 1878.

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,

La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per ottenere l'esito di registro di leva o registro dei foglie matricolari di: Angelo de Maria nato a Castelvetrano,Trapani il 1878.
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

DeMaria-Turello

Re: DeMaria or DiMaria in Castelvetrano, Sicily

Postby DeMaria-Turello » 23 Oct 2013, 21:05

Thank you so much, both of you...this is wonderful. Hopefully it will get me what I really need.
Thank you again
Best Regards and Many Blessings,
Judi
Edited to say:
I am sorry I say both of you, realizing it was the same person. THANK YOU Marty very much.

I will say that I have been directed to family search numerous times and every time I enter their names, it brings me back to American Census. It doesn't keep me in or take me to records in Castelvetrano (which by the way I think I had mispelled it in my subject line originally).
I am suppose to go Thursday to the local LDS research center to see if they can help me. They believe they will have to order the films for me IF we find anything while I am there. This research center is only open 2-3 hours a day...each day at different times because it is volunteer, so it makes it really hard. Will let you know the results. Thank you again!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”