*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

James V Surace 1899

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

James V Surace 1899

Postby crystalblue » 26 Oct 2013, 01:49

I am having trouble locating a birth certificate for my ggrandfather, James V Surace. He was born 28/29 Jan 1899 in NY. My family immigrated to Brooklyn and remained there until my mother left as a teenager. I submitted a request with the DOH for a birth certificate with the DOB and parents' names for Brooklyn, but no information was found. According to italiangen.org, there was nobody by that name born in NYC. I have even checked under Vincenzo (his possible real birth name) and the last name spelled Suraci (the spelling before arriving in the US). His parents' names are Domenico Surace and Angelina Casciano, and his wife's name was Josephine Novello. If you have any additional information as to where in NY he was born or under what name, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks! Crystal
crystalblue

Re: James V Surace 1899

Postby Tessa78 » 26 Oct 2013, 02:06

crystalblue wrote:I am having trouble locating a birth certificate for my ggrandfather, James V Surace. He was born 28/29 Jan 1899 in NY. My family immigrated to Brooklyn and remained there until my mother left as a teenager. I submitted a request with the DOH for a birth certificate with the DOB and parents' names for Brooklyn, but no information was found. According to italiangen.org, there was nobody by that name born in NYC. I have even checked under Vincenzo (his possible real birth name) and the last name spelled Suraci (the spelling before arriving in the US). His parents' names are Domenico Surace and Angelina Casciano, and his wife's name was Josephine Novello. If you have any additional information as to where in NY he was born or under what name, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks! Crystal

Hello Crystal!

Is this your GGF and his family in the 1900 US Census. The spelling on the US Census records can be terrible... :-)

Vencenza Soraci in household of Dominic Soraci, "United States Census, 1900"
Name: Vencenza Soraci
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1900
Event Place: ED 68 Borough of Brooklyn, Election District 19 New York City Ward 6, Kings, New York, United States
Birth Date: Aug 1898
Birthplace: New York
Relationship to Head of Household: Son
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Marital Status: Single
Years Married:
Marriage Year (Estimated):
Mother of how many children:
Number of Living Children:
Immigration Year:
Page: 15
Sheet Letter: B
Family Number: 330
Reference ID: 91
GS Film number: 1241045
Digital Folder Number: 004114529
Image Number: 00614
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head Dominic Soraci M 29 Italy
Wife Angela Soraci F 27 Italy
Son Vencenza Soraci M 2 New York

I checked Italiangen.org again and found this listing... :-)

Sorace Vincent Feb 1 1899 Cert #2844 Kings

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby crystalblue » 26 Oct 2013, 08:53

It is possible that it is the correct family in the census, although the birth months are wrong for the parents. I have come across James' WWI draft card and SSDI info, both confirming DOB of Jan 1899. But thank you for the effort, hopefully it can get me a little closer!
crystalblue

Postby Tessa78 » 27 Oct 2013, 01:03

crystalblue wrote:It is possible that it is the correct family in the census, although the birth months are wrong for the parents. I have come across James' WWI draft card and SSDI info, both confirming DOB of Jan 1899. But thank you for the effort, hopefully it can get me a little closer!

JAN 29 and Feb 1 are pretty darn close... :-)
I would send for the record...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy