Comments added to civil records years after

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Oakfield

Comments added to civil records years after

Post by Oakfield »

Hi. A relative's birth record has comments added in the margin years after the original entry was recorded. Possibly a remarriage or a death? Could use help translating. Please see attachment. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Comments added to civil records years after

Post by adelfio »

Gaspare Madonia birth record but it says Giacomo Madonia married Grazia Corrao May 17 1901

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The Sep 19, 1907 annotation states that Gaspare was legitimated after the Marriage of Giacomo Madonia and Grazia Di Corrao, marriage celebrated 17 May 1901 Act nr 48.

It is very likely that Giacomo and Grazia were married in church when Gaspare was born. They could legitimate their child only after the civil marriage.

It is still weird that in the birth act the father's name appears to be Gaspare.
Oakfield

Post by Oakfield »

Thanks for the translation. Of course it leads to more questions. I have "tribal knowledge" that Gaspare's parents were indeed Gaspare and Grazia DiCorrado (now revealed as DiCorrao). Gaspare had two other younger male siblings. All of them named their first son Gaspare. Is it possible the father Gaspare died and Giacomo married Grazia? Maybe there was a divorce? I did uncover a relative's handwritten attempt at a family tree that showed the father to Gaspare's younger brother (Batista b. 1897) as John Madonia. Hope you don't mind but I have more to relay on this topic. Thanks again.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

You should find the original legitimization record. Di Corrao could be a mistake done by the clerk.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I would get marriage record of Gaspare and Grazia DiCorrado it would show in the written part the children they had and the birthdates showing they recognized them you have the info
17 May 1901 Act # 48

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty