Surnames Sidoli,Cestelli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
janetm

Surnames Sidoli,Cestelli

Postby janetm » 12 Apr 2005, 00:10

Looking for any info (or relatives). The Sidolis are from Bedonia,Parma. My G Grandfather came to the U.S. through Ellis Island in 1909. Ended up in coal mine in Pennsylvania. Cestelli-I am not so sure about. Some members of my family are saying that this is a name given to an illegitimate relative, so we are all stuck.

mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Surnames Sidoli,Cestelli

Postby mfjp » 12 Apr 2005, 00:36

I searched all the Cestelli's from Bedonia to Ellis Island and only 3 came up... search using exact spelling as shown below...

www.ellisisland.org

Cestelli,Agostino Bedonia, Parma 1911  age 21 
Cestelli,Caterina Bedonia, Parma 1921  age 17 
Cestelli,Dolinda Bedonia, Italy 1911  age 19

from other places...

CESTELLI,ANTONIO LUIGIELLA 1905 29
Cestelli,Alexandre Portland, Oregon 1906 66
Cestelli,Caterina Morallino... 1901 28
Cestelli,Florinda Parma, Italy 1912 17
Cestelli,Francesco Morallino... 1901 8
Cestelli,Michele Rosello, Italy 1920 22
Cestelli,Vittorio Arconate 1905 19

Also through Castle Gardens (passengers to New York before 1892...

Alesongo Cestelli 18 Sep 1888 1849 Male Italy United States of America Arizona (name of ship)

Some members of my family are saying that this is a name given to an illegitimate relative, so we are all stuck.

It wouldn't hurt to research film from your ancestral town

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

and how lucky are you?... records all the way back to 1613!!!

Church records, 1613-1916
Authors Chiesa cattolica. Sant'Antonino (Bedonia)

and

Italy, Parma, Bedonia - Civil registration 1806-1910  Bedonia (Parma)

My understanding is - even it the child is illegitimate, there will be a record. There are forum members who researched these types of situations and could probably encourage you further...

Also... if your are looking for other names not mentioned here, please submit if you wish... or wish further info on a specific person, please mention...

mfjp

one more thing... if you are new at research and wish to research from film... here's a link

(rumors (hi James :P ) are that these film may eventually be on-line--hope it's soon too)

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581

janetm

Postby janetm » 12 Apr 2005, 00:51

Thanks so much for your quick reply..I am so new to this research that I have no idea what to do with the LDS records,other than go to my local family history center to view them. Some of the Cestellis you listed are most certainly my relatives. (Gotta love the Ellis Island site!) I know for a fact that Dolinda is my GG Aunt. The big family dispute that has been going on is that there is supposedly a countess somewhere...but my grandmother has been telling me that her last name was Sidoli. I figured if I could find her, maybe it would keep me into the research.

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 12 Apr 2005, 01:23

I am so new to this research that I have no idea what to do with the LDS records, other than go to my local family history center to view them

Hope you read the link I posted... the people at the FHC are really helpful...

One of my own Great greats kept having children year after year, and the town kept listing the child's father as “padre incertoâ€Â

janetm

Postby janetm » 12 Apr 2005, 02:15

Forgot to mention that my G Grandparents were Linda and Victor (Vittorio) Sidoli,whom I did find at the Ellis Island website. The manifest lists his closest relative in his homeland as his grandfather Giuseppe Sidoli in Bedonia,Parma.

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 13 Apr 2005, 02:28

Maybe a copy of the marriage licence would help with info...

Year of Marriage 1911
Last Name SIDOLI
First Name VITTORIO
Middle Initial
Spouse's Last Name CESTELLI
Spouse's First Name FEODOLINDA
Spouse's Middle Initial   
Volume 2
License # 8391
City of Rochester Archives and Records Center, N.Y.
----------
You can contact the Rochester City Archives directly through the
Records Management Bureau / 414 Andrews Street / Rochester, New York  14604
585-428-7331

mfjp

janetm

Postby janetm » 13 Apr 2005, 16:48

Wow thanks for the info...but I did make a mistake in one of my earlier posts...Florinda is my G Aunt and Dolinda (as listed at Ellis Island)is my G Grandmother. I know there were quite a few sisters. I see that Dolinda lists her father in Bedonia as Cesare Cestelli. I can't figure out why alot of them came through the port of Havre other than distance from the port as opposed to southern Italy.
My G Grandparents are buried in Pennsylvania (where I am from) and listed on their headstones are the dates:
Linda Sidoli 1892-1964
Victor Sidoli 1889-1959
The "Blacklick" listed on the manifest for Vittorio is a township in Pennsylvania where he worked in a coal mine. My G Uncle still lives in the house where my G Grandparents resided until their deaths.
My grandmother has told me of a Rolleri in the family as well. I know she said New Jersey,but I don't know of any other details.
Of course she also tells me of a seminary in Italy that has to do with the Sidoli name,but I can't locate that either. I see that some of the diocesean sites are useless.

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 14 Apr 2005, 06:03

Lots of Rolleri - N.J. census records.. If someone can recall a given name, it could help look for further info...

Also here's a list of Rolleri's going to Ellis Island... (the Ellis site is really hard to link to this evening!)

Rolleri,Amabeli Bedonia 1900  16
Rolleri,Ammiccata Bedonia 1905  32
Rolleri,Antonio Bedonia, Italy 1908  26 
Rolleri,Antonio Bedonia 1905  28
Rolleri,Antonio Bedonia 1904  22
Rolleri,Antonio Bedonia, Italy 1913  33
Rolleri,Celestina Bedonia, Italy 1915  24
Rolleri,Domenica Bedonia, Italy 1911  23
Rolleri,Domenica Bedonia 1900  18
Rolleri,Domenico Bedonia, Italy 1908  37
Rolleri,Ernesto Bedonia 1905  15
Rolleri,Giovanni Bedonia, Italy 1910  16
Rolleri,Giovanni Bedonia 1906  17
Rolleri,Giuseppe Bedonia, Italy 1922  44 
Rolleri,Maddalena Bedonia 1900  48
Rolleri,Maria Bedonia, Italy 1908  16
Rolleri,Maria Bedonia, Italy 1922  18
Rolleri,Teresa Bedonia 1905  23
Rolleri,Valentino Bedonia, Italy 1914  23
Rolleri,Valentino Bedonia 1907  16

mfjp

oh yes... do a google search of " seminario Sidoli Bedonia" ... my browser has a "Translate this page" feature on it... and can be read in English.

janetm

Postby janetm » 23 Apr 2005, 19:43

Well I did the google search and finally came up with a little information on the seminary and woman who left it to the diocese. (The Contessa I was wondering about). The story follows the one my grandmother has told me exactly,including her name! I have been emailing the seminary trying to find out any more about her,but it's been a week or so and no reply yet. Maybe my translation was bad (uh-oh!).Now if I could just find the link to Victor I'm in business. My brother has a letter to my great uncle from the 1950's concerning this part of the family that I am waiting to get my hands on.Hopefully it'll help instead of confuse.
Thanks for all your help,
Janet

RichW

Postby RichW » 19 Aug 2008, 05:27

MFJP,
Cestelli,Vittorio Arconate 1905 19 is actually Restelli. He is my grandfather. He moved to St. Louis and was naturalised in 1913. Many more of the below Cestelli's prpbably are Restelli's. It is a very common name in the Arconate area.

Rich

Return to “Italian Genealogy”