Boston's North End

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tomtst
Veteran
Veteran

Boston's North End

Postby tomtst » 12 Nov 2013, 14:03

I have 2 pictures that my grandfather is in.

Picture 1 was a banquet at the Boston Tavern 1926 they are the Knights of Progress.

Picture 2 is of a group of about 50 men and it is titled Park Associates 1916.

Does anyone know anything about these two organizations?

Tom

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Boston's North End

Postby erudita74 » 12 Nov 2013, 15:33

tomtst wrote:I have 2 pictures that my grandfather is in.

Picture 1 was a banquet at the Boston Tavern 1926 they are the Knights of Progress.

Picture 2 is of a group of about 50 men and it is titled Park Associates 1916.

Does anyone know anything about these two organizations?

Tom

Tom
As far as the Knights of Progress -the organization was started in Boston on April 2, 1907 (the date the city issued the group a certificate of organization). I also found that it was referred to as a Fraternal Beneficiary Organization and that it had a fund for widows and orphans. The money for this fund would therefore have come from its members (probably dues its members paid) and would help the member's widow and/or children in the instance of the member's death. In Sept of 1937, there was an article about this organization in the NT Times, but you need a paid subscription to access it. All I can see from the google search link is that it was designed to "promote Americanism, resist subversive...." I also found that there were branches of this organization in other major cities like Wash DC. Go to googlebooks.com and do a search of this organization name to see the various references that I found.

In one googlebooks reference, address is given as 122 Salem Street, Ward 6. In a Jan 10, 1910 Boston Evening Transcript, address is given as 28 Foss Street, so I don't know if there was more than one of these organizations with the same name in the city of Boston.

Erudita

tomtst
Veteran
Veteran

Postby tomtst » 12 Nov 2013, 20:04

Thank you

Tom

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 12 Nov 2013, 20:12

tomtst wrote:Thank you

Tom

You're welcome, Tom. I meant to type that the article was in the NY Times that I couldn't access without a paid subscription. I can't find anything about the other one.
Erudita

Return to “Italian Genealogy”