Boston's North End

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Boston's North End

Postby tomtst » 12 Nov 2013, 15:03

I have 2 pictures that my grandfather is in.

Picture 1 was a banquet at the Boston Tavern 1926 they are the Knights of Progress.

Picture 2 is of a group of about 50 men and it is titled Park Associates 1916.

Does anyone know anything about these two organizations?

Tom
tomtst
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Boston's North End

Postby erudita74 » 12 Nov 2013, 16:33

tomtst wrote:I have 2 pictures that my grandfather is in.

Picture 1 was a banquet at the Boston Tavern 1926 they are the Knights of Progress.

Picture 2 is of a group of about 50 men and it is titled Park Associates 1916.

Does anyone know anything about these two organizations?

Tom

Tom
As far as the Knights of Progress -the organization was started in Boston on April 2, 1907 (the date the city issued the group a certificate of organization). I also found that it was referred to as a Fraternal Beneficiary Organization and that it had a fund for widows and orphans. The money for this fund would therefore have come from its members (probably dues its members paid) and would help the member's widow and/or children in the instance of the member's death. In Sept of 1937, there was an article about this organization in the NT Times, but you need a paid subscription to access it. All I can see from the google search link is that it was designed to "promote Americanism, resist subversive...." I also found that there were branches of this organization in other major cities like Wash DC. Go to googlebooks.com and do a search of this organization name to see the various references that I found.

In one googlebooks reference, address is given as 122 Salem Street, Ward 6. In a Jan 10, 1910 Boston Evening Transcript, address is given as 28 Foss Street, so I don't know if there was more than one of these organizations with the same name in the city of Boston.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby tomtst » 12 Nov 2013, 21:04

Thank you

Tom
tomtst
Veteran
Veteran

Postby erudita74 » 12 Nov 2013, 21:12

tomtst wrote:Thank you

Tom

You're welcome, Tom. I meant to type that the article was in the NY Times that I couldn't access without a paid subscription. I can't find anything about the other one.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy