Cali Surname in Lampedusa

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
20 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Cali Surname in Lampedusa

Postby mcali » 18 Apr 2005, 20:48

I am new here, but not new to try to find my family! I have looked for years by myself to get information on my family in Sicily, but no luck has crossed my way. My grandfather was born in Lampedusa in 1901. I have a copy of his birth certificate, that my father gave to me. He could not have just appeared on the earth miraculously, he must have had parents, etc. I do not have much family, and it is important to me to know where I came from and who my family is, I want to meet them all. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be VERY appreciated. I would also like to try to do most research on my own as I do not have money for a professional genealogist. Please help if you can.

Sincerely,

Melissa
mcali

Re: Cali Surname in Lampedusa

Postby Essgee » 18 Apr 2005, 21:18

Hi.......

The name Cali is very prevelant in all of Sicily. Lampedusa is part of the Province of Argrigento in the Region of Sicily...actually it is an island off the coast.

The civil records of Lampedusa are available to rent at the Family History Library nearest to your home. They cover the period of time when your grandfather was born. You should be able to get the names of his family from the records. Go to www.familysearch.org to see what is available.

Also, there are so many of the name Cali listed as coming into Ellis Island. If you can provide us with a firsth name and a place where he lived in the US...if before 1930, we can try and track him in the census and see if we can find an arrival record for him.

He could have been born in Lampedusa, but the family came from else where. If I am not mistaken, the island was a penal colonly and the family might have been there because the father was part of the prison...as a worker or even as an inmate. I didn't see the name Lampadusa as the origin of the Cali immigrants, but then I am not sure who I was looking for.

If you can provide more info, we can find something to get you started and on your way....or at least try!

Let us know........
Essgee
Master
Master

Postby ricbru » 18 Apr 2005, 21:26

Hello Melissa,
there are not CALI in Lampedusa, but you can find this surname on Agrigento province

http://www.paginebianche.it/pb/cerca?bt ... =&cc=&cf=&

If you have a mormon church in your town, contact them and rent Lampedusa microfilm (civil records)

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... o+civile++

and Lampedusa church records

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... siastici++

you can contact Lampedusa civil records office by contacting the mayor

sindaco@isoladilampedusa.it

or

Comune Di Lampedusa E Linosa Fax Ufficio Anagrafe, Stato Civile, Elettorale
92010 Lampedusa (AG) - Corso Vittorio Emanuele, 29

+39-922-973573

of you can contact Agrigento State Archive

http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... RIGENTO%22

if you need to write in Italian to churches or civil records office, try this web site

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

I hope it helsp, bye ricbru
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby mcali » 18 Apr 2005, 21:35

Thank you for the quick response. My grandfather's name was Pietro Cali, he was born 21 September 1901 in the Comune di Lampedusa E Linosa, Prov. di Agrigento according to his birth certificate.

My father states as far as he knows, he came over here around 1920, but was a stowaway on a ship. He went to NYC, then to Vermont, where he worked on a railroad...he died when he was between 40 and 50 years old. I checked any Census records on him, as well at death records etc. He doesn't exist as far as I can see.

Thank you :)

Essgee wrote:Hi.......

The name Cali is very prevelant in all of Sicily. Lampedusa is part of the Province of Argrigento in the Region of Sicily...actually it is an island off the coast.

The civil records of Lampedusa are available to rent at the Family History Library nearest to your home. They cover the period of time when your grandfather was born. You should be able to get the names of his family from the records. Go to www.familysearch.org to see what is available.

Also, there are so many of the name Cali listed as coming into Ellis Island. If you can provide us with a firsth name and a place where he lived in the US...if before 1930, we can try and track him in the census and see if we can find an arrival record for him.

He could have been born in Lampedusa, but the family came from else where. If I am not mistaken, the island was a penal colonly and the family might have been there because the father was part of the prison...as a worker or even as an inmate. I didn't see the name Lampadusa as the origin of the Cali immigrants, but then I am not sure who I was looking for.

If you can provide more info, we can find something to get you started and on your way....or at least try!

Let us know........
mcali

Postby VaDeb » 18 Apr 2005, 21:58

Hi Melissa,

In you initial post you said you had your grandfather's birth certificate. It should have the names of his parents, including the maiden name of his mother. If you post the mother's maiden name it would provide another name to check towns for. Since Cali is common to Sicily, the mother's maiden name may narrow down the area.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby mcali » 18 Apr 2005, 22:54

Hi Debbie.

I have a certificate of birth, but it contains no information other than his birth date and where he was born. I believe it was a document sent over to him by someone from Sicily.

Melissa

VaDeb wrote:Hi Melissa,

In you initial post you said you had your grandfather's birth certificate. It should have the names of his parents, including the maiden name of his mother. If you post the mother's maiden name it would provide another name to check towns for. Since Cali is common to Sicily, the mother's maiden name may narrow down the area.

Debbie
mcali

Postby mfjp » 19 Apr 2005, 01:13

Hoping that he is yours...

Name:   Peter Cali
Estimated birth year:   abt 1902
Birthplace:   Italy
Relation to head-of-house:   Head
Spouse's Name:   Gertrude L Cali
Race:   White
Home in 1930:   Wallingford, Rutland, Vermont
Image source:   Year: 1930; Census Place: Wallingford, Rutland, Vermont; Roll: 2430; Page: 11B; Enumeration District: 48; Image: 947.0.

http://img117.echo.cx/img117/2513/peter19300vp.jpg

Did he have any siblings... ?? It would help to look for them...

I think it says that he immigrated in 1917... the copy is fuzzy...

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mcali » 19 Apr 2005, 15:05

Yes, that would be him. I do not know if he had any siblings, or anything. My father said he could not write English, and spoke broken English. He never told my father or his wife anything about his family and where he came from. I believe the only way to find out is to actually get an orignal copy of the birth certificate that would include his parents names, or do you have any better ideas?

Melissa

:P

mfjp wrote:Hoping that he is yours...

Name:   Peter Cali
Estimated birth year:   abt 1902
Birthplace:   Italy
Relation to head-of-house:   Head
Spouse's Name:   Gertrude L Cali
Race:   White
Home in 1930:   Wallingford, Rutland, Vermont
Image source:   Year: 1930; Census Place: Wallingford, Rutland, Vermont; Roll: 2430; Page: 11B; Enumeration District: 48; Image: 947.0.

http://img117.echo.cx/img117/2513/peter19300vp.jpg

Did he have any siblings... ?? It would help to look for them...

I think it says that he immigrated in 1917... the copy is fuzzy...

mfjp
mcali

Postby VaDeb » 19 Apr 2005, 22:05

Hi Melissa,

The birth certificate you have is the short form. As has been posted above the civial records for the town are available on microfilm. If you order the microfilm you can find the birth record yourself. It will have the names of both parents. With that information you can also look through other years for siblings. Original source records are always the best source of information. If you do not want to order microfilm you can write to the town and request a birth certificate.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby mcali » 19 Apr 2005, 23:54

Hi Deb and thank you again.

I cannot write Italian, as that is where I would have to send the request to in Agrigento, Sicily. I am working on learning to speak and write it, which will be faily easy for me, I just don't have the time.

Do you know of any place I can get the EXACT address to mail a request to for people born in Comune di Lampedusa, Prov. Agrigento, Sicily?

Any help would be great.

VaDeb wrote:Hi Melissa,

The birth certificate you have is the short form. As has been posted above the civial records for the town are available on microfilm. If you order the microfilm you can find the birth record yourself. It will have the names of both parents. With that information you can also look through other years for siblings. Original source records are always the best source of information. If you do not want to order microfilm you can write to the town and request a birth certificate.

Debbie
mcali

Postby VaDeb » 20 Apr 2005, 01:44

Hi Melissa,

Here is a website that has a form letter to write for the birth record. You just fill in the blanks and it generates the letter.

I don't have a resource to find the address to write to. Sorry. I am sure someone else will be able to help with it though.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 20 Apr 2005, 14:57

This is where you can write to have Pietro Cali birth record

Comune Di Lampedusa
-Corso Vittorio Emanuele, 29
92010 Lampedusa (AG)
ITALY

+39-922-973573

of you can contact Agrigento State Archive

http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... RIGENTO%22

if you need to write a request i italian, try this web site

I hope it helsp, bye ricbru
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby Tifcali » 09 May 2005, 23:04

Hello mcali, I am a fello Cali. There is a large population of Cali's in Palermo and the surrounding towns. Good luck on finding info.
Tifcali
Tifcali

Postby mcali » 12 May 2005, 21:19

Hello fellow Cali :) (tifcali)

Do you reside in the US or in Sicily? Either or, could you possibly point me in the correct direction or who to contact to try to get a full birth certificate, etc on my grandfather? I have sent letters to a couple of the addresses mentioned by people responding to me in this forum, with no response.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao,

Melissa
mcali

Postby VaDeb » 12 May 2005, 22:41

Melissa,
Sometimes it takes quite a while to receive a response from Italy. You have to remember the civil servants who work in the registars office are very busy serving the citizens that live there. Sometimes it takes a second request to get a response. I have found the mail to be very slow. Someone mailed me a letter from Italy and it took 3 months to get to me. I have no idea why it took so long.

If you don't want to wait or write again, order the microfilm of birth records previously mentioned. YOu can look the birth record up yourself. On it will be the names of his parents.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Next

20 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Return to Italian Genealogy