WW II Ethiopian Occupation - Searching for a grandfather

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Johnyescobario

WW II Ethiopian Occupation - Searching for a grandfather

Postby Johnyescobario » 06 Dec 2013, 23:13

Hi,

Greetings to all that could assist me with this tough task at hand. I am searching for my grandfather who I have very little information about, yet would like to see if his descendants are around and who they are. in 2007 I conducted an in person interview with elders in the Ethiopian town that my father was born in and this is what I found out about my grandfather. Excuse the misspellings and incorrect italian. Please reply to this post if you have any leads, even if they are minor:

- Father was born in 1940/1941 approximation - this was calculated because he was born right when the Italian army was being pushed out of Ethiopia
- Grandfather was stationed in Huleta/Wajitu (Shewa region of Ethiopia). About 30miles outside of the capital south
- Locals say grandfather was commanding about 1,600 soldiers
- They said his calvary was potentially called "Sesienta Fantaria Sabuda"
- They said his rank was potentially called "Treinte Trenova" - keep in mind the key witness was 97 years old and has little comprehension of Italian.
- They say he worked for the "Rasetti administration"
- Description of grandfather was that he had 3 stars, tall & wide
- The guessed name was Bruno or Brunalli ( don't get caught up on the name because he was guessing)
- Grandmother prior to passing away mentioned that he requested to call his son "Nichola or Giovani" and he asked if she wanted to go back to Italy with him. She denied the request and never saw him again.

pink67
Master
Master

Re: WW II Ethiopian Occupation - Searching for a grandfather

Postby pink67 » 08 Dec 2013, 17:24

Hi,

- They said his calvary was potentially called "Sesienta Fantaria Sabuda"

Most likely it was:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/30%C2%AA_D ... Sabauda%22

http://www.regioesercito.it/reparti/fan ... ediv30.htm

Laura

Return to “Italian Genealogy”