Italian Nicknames-Calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Postby gentilejoy@yahoo.com » 26 Dec 2013, 13:54

I have found that for searching ancestors and/or living relatives in Calabria, a lot of Calabrian towns seem to identify families by a “clan/family” nickname. This means many can not trace relations simply by the given and surnames. I suppose this is because many of these small comuni had several large clan groups with the same surname. Over the centuries, in turn, many individuals were named after fathers, grandfathers, mothers and grandmothers. Example is the surname Pugliese and given name Nicola. In a village like my ggrandfather’s, so many persons had that same name passed down generation after generation for hundreds of years. So unless you knew from which clan group “your Nicola Pugliese” was-it is a challenge to trace ancestral/descendent lines. Even today, many of these small towns only seem to recognize distant relatives not by the given and surname, but the “family nickname”.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”