surname Fellini

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cdfellini

surname Fellini

Post by cdfellini »

could anyone help me in finding information on this surname? i do not speak italian so italian websites dont help. im doing a research project and i cant seem to find the information im looking for, namely: what significance is the last name, is there a cot of arms (i dont have the money to buy one online, so if anyone knew where to see it for free it would help) and also a brief family history. the names to work with would be donald fellini, and possibly a frank fellini. donald is my grandfather. i know his mother's maiden name is either quintin or quinto, it was changed after italy took control of some part of austria, so my grandfather tells me as my great grandmother is austrian. i know that frank fellini is a direct relative to my grandfather and the only information i can provide for finding out anything involving him is that he came to america sometime in the 1850s and that his port of departue was in spain somewhere. any information or websites i can access for free (that are in english) would help. please dont find information on the film director federico fellini unless you can find a connection because i dont think he is a close relative of my family's. again, thank you.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: surname Fellini

Post by wldspirit »

If you were to name the town of origin or the province/region it would help...........
I did find this on the name Fellini:

FELLINI Abbastanza raro, ha un ceppo nel forlivese, ed uno probabile nell'aquilano, dovrebbero derivare dal nomen tardo latino Felinus, di cui abbiamo un esempio nel 1400 con lo scrittore ferrarese Felinus Sandeus autore de l'Epitoma de regno Apuliae et Siciliae.

You can translate it thru here.......although it rarely translates well enough to be clearly understood......perhaps someone here may translate it for you.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

here is another site which may interest you,

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/q ... -crest.htm

wldspirit
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi,
im doing a research project. donald fellini, and possibly a frank fellini. donald is my grandfather
Not sure of your research goals and what information you have, but remember genealogy is something that is researched in reverse. You start with the information you have on yourself, your parents, then grandparents. Collect birth, marriage and death records. Obituaries provide alot of information. It can be difficult to start researching where a grandparent came from without any details to work from. Passenger records from the 1850's generally do not provide alot of details. You may find a name, but without facts to back it up it may be impossible to prove it is the correct person versus another with the same name.

Have you found your family on the US census from 1930 back to 1850. One is done every 10 years. What year was Donald born? When did he die? Where in the US did the family live (state and city)? Names of wife and children? These details will help identify your family on the census. Remeber names are often not spelled exactly as they are today.

Here is the Social Security death index for Fellini. Only 42 in the list. Perhaps you will recognize some and get some additional dates and facts for your research.

http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi

This is a site that will show where your surname is located in Italy today. Insert the name in "cognome" and click the arrow.

http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html

Debbie
cdfellini

Post by cdfellini »

the fellini surname is supposedly from Tuscana. My great great grandfather is said to be from Genoa. I know they went through Ellis Island, but what little information I find there is not very helpful. Donald was born in 1935 I believe, and is still alive today. The Fellini last name has not changed, it is the correct spelling it has always been. Some other information I know, but am not sure if it will help, is that there is supposedly an elite university in Italy, I don't know where, that Fellinis can attend for free because one of my great great grandfathers helped to build it. I know that Donald married Carol Decarle, and that she is of Irish descent. I can probably provide other details if I know what they are.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi,
Lets start with your grandfather, Donald Fellini, since he is alive. Since he was born in 1935 he will not be on the 1930 census.

1. Talk to your grandfather. What are his parents names? When and where were they married? If they were married prior to 1930, where did they live in 1930 (State, county, city)? If Donald's parents were not married in 1930 does Donald know the names of his grandparents? If Donald's father was still living at home with his parent's at the time of the 1930 census that information will be helpful.

The 1930 census has an every name index and is very searchable. Go to a public library. (call ahead, but many large libraries subscribe to the library version of ancestry.com) This way you do not have to pay for a subscription. Try and find your family. Or post the information and someone will look it up for you. I know longer subscribe to ancestry.com at home as I have finished my census research so I can't look now.

Once you find them on the 1930 you can go back census by census. This way you maybe able to confirm the 10 year period in which they did come to the US.

In your initial post you said the ancestory came in 1850. Ellis Island was not opened then so you won't find a record there.

Debbie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The census very rarely will list the town of origin, however it may lead to an immigration year and manifest. In locating a manifest you may uncover the name of the town, and the nearest relative from whence they came.

Suanj would know more on the origination of the name, she is in Italy and has a vast knowledge of names, places and locations.

Here are the results for the census by name, location and year. If you need further info feel free to ask.

FELLINI JOHN 42 M W ITAL NY KINGS 4-WD BROOKLYN 1910

FELLINI JOSEPH 40 M W ITAL NY NEW YORK 19-WD MANHATTAN 1910

FELLINI JOSEPH 31 M W NY NY RICHMOND 2-WD RICHMOND 1910

FELLINI LAWRENCE 39 M W ITAL IL MADISON 3-WD COLLINSVILLE 1910

FELLINI AUGUST 24 M W ITAL IN LAKE 3-WD; GARY; CALUMET TWP 22-PCT 1920

FELLINI CATHERINE 75 F W ITAL NY NEW YORK MANHATTAN 1920

FELLINI FRANK 49 M W ITAL NY NEW YORK MANHATTAN 1920

FELLINI JOHN 55 M W ITAL NY NEW YORK MANHATTAN 1920

FELLINI JOHN 52 M W ITAL NY NEW YORK MANHATTAN 1920

FELLINI JOSEPH 41 M W NY NY RICHMOND 4-WD RICHMOND 1920

FELLINI LOUISA 28 F W NY NY NEW YORK MANHATTAN 1920

FELLINI THOMAS 37 M W ITAL NY NEW YORK MANHATTAN 1920

FELLINI VIRGINIA 32 F W NY NY NEW YORK MANHATTAN 1920

wldspirit
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Wildspirti,

Thanks for clarifying the census won't (except in rare cases) have the city of origin in Italy. The information the poster had was rather sketchy. I was trying to provide him a way to start tracing his family backwards to identify the 10 year period they appeared in the census.

From the census results you posted looks like it is going to take a little work to find them in 1930. So often a problem with Italian names, at least in my family. Hopefully the poster will have some detailed information as to place and names in 1930.

Debbie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

From the Italian databank to Usa, if in fact your family was from Toscana,
Havre would be a likely port of departure.

Surname FELLINI Name A. Age 23 Sex M
Place of last residence
U
Destination
NEW-YORK
Port of embarkment
HAVRE
Name of the ship
ST.LAURENT
Date of arrival
4/29/1885

Surname FELLINI Name BARMEO Age 40 Sex M
Place of last residence
U
Destination
USA
Port of embarkment
HAVRE
Name of the ship
LABRADOR
Date of arrival
5/12/1882

Surname FELLINI Name GIOVANNI Age 43 Sex M
Place of last residence
U
Destination
NEW-YORK
Port of embarkment
HAVRE
Name of the ship
LABRADOR
Date of arrival
5/18/1886

Surname FELLINI Name GIUSEPPE Age 29 Sex M
Place of last residence
U
Destination
USA
Port of embarkment
HAVRE
Name of the ship
LA CHAMPAGNE
Date of arrival
5/28/1888

Surname FELLINI Name GMO. Age 22 Sex M
Place of last residence
U
Destination
USA
Port of embarkment
HAVRE
Name of the ship
LA CHAMPAGNE
Date of arrival
5/28/1888

Surname FELLINI Name MARIA Age 23 Sex F
Place of last residence
U
Destination
NEW-YORK
Port of embarkment
HAVRE
Name of the ship
LA NORMANDIE
Date of arrival
9/6/1887

Surname FELLINI Name U Age 23 Sex M
Place of last residence
U
Destination
NEW-YORK
Port of embarkment
HAVRE
Name of the ship
CANADA
Date of arrival
12/7/1882

wldspirit
cdfellini

Post by cdfellini »

ok, more information that i just got in regards to the fellini family that i am trying to look up. one big thing is that fellini is a common last name, so it will probably be hard for me to find exactly what im looking for. donald's father's name is louis fellini and his mother's maiden name is celidia quinto, although orignally it was quintin. donalds brother is louis fellini and his sister is jackie(not sure about her full name) fellini. she is married and is now campen. i cant fully verify the time when my first ancestors came over because my grandfather is fairly vague in the details. i know that the first fellini was frank fellini sometime in the 1850s, so im told, but i also know that my great grandparents came over around 1910 and this i know was through ellis island. my great grandfather came from genoa and my great grandmother supposedly came through bolovone. my great grandmother came over with her seven siters and two parents. im sorry, but thats all i know right now. im also not sure about the tuscana thing, all i know is that that place pooped up several times when i tried to find surname information
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

donald's father's name is louis fellini and his mother's maiden name is celidia quinto,
This has to be her! Such a unique name!

First Name: Celide
Last Name: Quinto
Ethnicity: North Italian, Italy
Last Place of Residence: Verona, Italy
Date of Arrival: May 10, 1910
Age at Arrival:  8y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Verona
Port of Departure: Genova
Manifest Line Number: 0024

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0404%2ETIF

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0404%2ETIF

Looking at her age, there should be a census record of Celide and Louis - either a 1920 (if she married at 18...) or 1930 census record... so there is hope...

About the manifest...

From the City of Bovolone, Verona

Giuseppe - age 44 - on his way to New York to join his brother Giovanni.

(his closest relative in Italy is his sister Angela)

Wfie Diletta age 37
Emma -14
Argia - 12
Carina-10
Celide - 8
Giuseppina - 3

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/023/012/index.html

A nice mug of Grappa would be nice right now 8O
mfjp
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Nice one Mfjp!!!!!!! I did look for Quinto earlier........and If I am not mistaken, I saw a Guiseppina.......but without knowing location of family
( there were many ) I didn't bother posting........would help to know where they made their residence!!! :?
wldspirit
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Name:   Louis Fellini (Born in the USA)
Estimated birth year:   abt 1903
Birthplace:   New York
Relation to head-of-house:   Head
Spouse's Name:   Celidia Fellini born abt 1903, immigrated 1905
Race:   White
Home in 1930:   Queens, Queens, New York
Image source:   Year: 1930; Census Place: Queens, Queens, New York; Roll: 1598; Page: 4A; Enumeration District: 366; Image: 831.0.

They have one daughter, Jacqueline age 8 mo. living on Brisbin St?

http://img244.echo.cx/img244/2228/fellini2sj.jpg
Married for 2 years

mfjp

So... Louis must have some records.... :P :P
cdfellini

Post by cdfellini »

that last one is it! thats the right person! or one of them. thank you so much! is there anything else you'd be able to find going from that. jazqueline would be my grandfather's sister. he also had a brother named louis. if you could trace what you've found farther back, i would be greatly indebted to you. or any information on the fellini surname (i.e. any changes, any specific meaning, place of origin) and also if anyone could find a coat of arms that i can actually see in detail without having to pay hundreds of dollars to have sent to me, thank you. again thank you so much and anything else you might be able to find or if you could trace the family back from there, then i would truly be indebted.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

if you could trace what you've found farther back, i would be greatly indebted to you. or any information on the fellini surname (i.e. any changes, any specific meaning, place of origin)
It would be nice to find the other census records.... and find his parents (as the census mentions that his parents were Italian...)

I'm off to work in a minute or so :roll: ... if someone could find something that would be great... :P if not, I will certainly look for something later this evening...

VaDeb had the right idea with asking questions the way she did... very organised!! We have to work back from 1930... bit by bit...

Wldspirit's help and spirit always keep us going too!! I'm always impressed to see what's found when I finally get back on the computer...

Maybe a 1910 or 1920 census or earlier must be out there.... this will help trace his parents and immigration date...

Have a good day all...
mfjp
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi,

Regarding your search for a coat of arms for your family. Do you have a reason to believe your ancestor had a coat of arms? Unless your ancestor was from noble or royalty they would not have a coat of arms.

Example: There is a coat of arms for the Rossi. This is a very common surname in Italy. All Rossi's are not entitiled to this crest, unless they can prove descent from the noble family.

Source: Italian Genealogical Records by Tafford Cole. Chapter 4, page 35 explains all about crests, nobility and the ability to claim these titles. They pass to the first born son. This book is available in many libraries (so you don't have to buy it). Also gives the names of books that list Italian coat of arms. This book is an easy read and will help you understand this subject. If you find a "published" coat of arms for the surname Fellini, you can not simply claim it as yours.

Sounds like you are doing this for a research project for school or something. There is alot of help available here, but the idea is to get you in the right direction so you can research. Maria and Wildspirt have given you alot of information. You can't expect to jump back many generations in a day or so.

You now have a good estimate of date of birth for Celide and Louis. Do you have their obituaries? There may be alot of useful information there.

From the SSDI:
Louis Fellini born March 15, 1903 and died Feb 18, 1993 in Massachusettes - is this your Louis?

CELIDIA FELLINI born 31 Jan 1902 and died 21 Dec 1992 02401 (Brockton, Plymouth, MA) (none specified) 018-30-5536 Massachusetts - Is this your Celilde?

Debbie