Searching for gg grandmother Filomena Serivano Pera in Paola

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pasqualesgirl

Searching for gg grandmother Filomena Serivano Pera in Paola

Postby pasqualesgirl » 11 Jan 2014, 02:21

I am looking for information on my g g grandmother Filomena Serivano Pera. Her illegitimate son Pasquale Orzo (state provided name I believe) was born in Paola, Cosenza, Calabria on 3 November 1870. I have Pasquale's birth record, but due to the illegitimacy, she is not listed. The only info I have on her is an elderly picture she sent to him here in the U.S. dated 1919 from Paola with her name clearly written indicating she was his mother. I have nothing else. He emigrated at the turn of the century but I believe she never came to the US. He was raised by adoptive parents in Paola and I have their names so I know Filomena must be his birth mother. I would like to find out what happened to her after his birth. Did she marry if so to whom? have more children? when did she die? I have found nothing in Ancestry, Family Search or any other of the standard sites. We even looked at all the gravestones in Paola when we were in Italy in 2012. Not one Pera or Serivano burried there. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Searching for gg grandmother Filomena Serivano Pera in P

Postby Italysearcher » 11 Jan 2014, 11:30

Often when a woman had a child out of wedlock the child was taken to another town and abandoned there. Pasquale was found on Paola in 1870 but was not necessarily born there. The surname Pera is not found in Paola but it is found in neighbouring towns. See http://www.paginebianche.it
Since these records are on microfilm you might want to check these towns for Filomena prior to 1865. Do you have a copy of the original birth act of Pasquale? It should say where he was found and by whom. If a midwife declared the birth then she may well have related to Filomena to whom her child was given for raising. In this way she could keep track of her child.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 11 Jan 2014, 17:18

Birth record of Pasquale Orzo records of Paola are online

PG LINK TO BIRTH RECORD INDEX#328
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n816417426

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

pasqualesgirl

Postby pasqualesgirl » 11 Jan 2014, 20:59

Hi Ann,
Thanks so much. Yes, I did find his birth record online in 2012 and it does list the name of the person who found him on their doorstep in Paola as well as the name of his adoptive parents who were in his life through to adulthood (I found his adoptive mother's name with his daughter and wife on a ship manifest). I tried to go to the link you sent but not sure how to use it to find names in neighboring towns? It is certainly possible she lived in another town and brought him to Paola, however, I do know in 1919 she was living in Paola (could have moved there - true). Filomena may have owned a business or restaurant in or around Paola - is there anyway to search tax records or commercial records?

pasqualesgirl

Postby pasqualesgirl » 11 Jan 2014, 21:00

Hi Marty,
Thanks, yes I did find that birth record last year. It took me months to translate! But had a wealth of information - everything but info on his parents which I know was because he was not considered legitimate. Thanks for your help, though!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”