Family Name Altera/Altira

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Family Name Altera/Altira

Postby Mary Kate » 11 Jan 2014, 17:05

Hi, I'm new to your forum. I've been researching my family history, to date Scottish and Irish. Then to my surprise I appear to have found an Italian connection :-).

I was wondering if anybody could help me with a family name. I have, in Aberdeen a Caesar Altera/Altira. I understand the family were originally from Northern Italy, and they were Glass Blowers making high grade optics,barometers, and mathematical instrumentation.

The main question I have is, which part of north Italy,and, which city if possible.

Many Thanks

Mary Kate
Mary Kate

Re: Family Name Altera/Altira

Postby adelfio » 12 Jan 2014, 17:28

Hi and welcome to IG website
Do you have a birthdate

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby Mary Kate » 12 Jan 2014, 19:34

Hello Marty,

Thank you for coming back to me so quickly :) I have Caesar Altria, another spelling of the name, he was born in St. Nicholas area of Aberdeen in 1771, I think, although there is also a record saying he was born abroad.

He married Elspet Milne in St. Nicholas Church, Aberdeen, on the 2nd March 1796, another spelling of his name Allria, on the records. I'v managed to locate the parish entry for the marriage, but it only gives the brides father's name, George Milne.

Hope you can help me.

Many Thanks

Mary Kate
Mary Kate

Postby Missie » 05 Apr 2014, 12:01

Hi Mary Kate,

I found this post as well as your other one re Caesar Altria so thought I might as well reply here as well :-). You probably won't find the family, not without a huge dose of luck as the name changed over the years, as you will see from records in the UK. The original name is Artaria and family come from Blevio in Lombardy. The family were all craftsmen and indeed some of them started a music publishing business (which is linked to the skills of engraving), which became one of the premier music publishing companies of its time. This company was based in Vienna (Wien). Other branches of the family became art dealers, one being based in London. We have gone back as far as it possible in Italy to Caesar's father. We don't when, how or where Caesar(my 4x g grandfather) arrived in the UK, we haven't been able to find any records. Caesar's grandson, Gavin (my gg grandfather) moved to London, and the others followed after the death of Caesar II (the son of the original Caesar). The Altria family are the only family in the UK with this name so if you come across anyone with that name, they are a (distant) relation!

Hope that helps, but if I you need any more help, please shout.
Missie

Postby Mary Kate » 05 Apr 2014, 16:04

Hi Missie,

Thank you for your reply :D I had found a pinterest site with information on the family,
file:///C:/Users/Marion/Downloads/Pinterest%20Altria.htm, this is the link for it. The link shows the name as Artaria, so, when I originally found the page I kept it just in case.

I have a lot of info on the family in Aberdeen, including a story about John Altria, which was published in the East Neuk Chronicles.

Ceaser (2) was optician to Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, and the family are buried in Nellfield Cemetary in Aberdeen. Marischal Museum, attached to Aberdeen University, have some of the barometers and other optical instruments that the family made on display.

Thank you so much for contacting me,

Have a great weekend,

Mary Kate
Mary Kate

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy