Pontiero in Terravecchia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Pontiero

Pontiero in Terravecchia

Postby Pontiero » 17 Jan 2014, 20:04

My grandfather is Antonio Federico Pontiero. Antonio's father is Rocco Ferdinando Pontiero and his mother is Maria Bommina Pirillo. Rocco and Maria had 5 children; my grandpa Antonio born in 1926, Vincenzo in 1912, Gaetano in 1919 and 2 daughters named Rosina and Bettina. Rocco came to America to work on the railroad in Oelwein, Iowa. During the period of 1906 and 1910 my surname was changed from Pontieri to Pontiero.

Here is the Pontiero Line that I have found. Antonio Pontiero(1926) son of Rocco Pontieri(1878) son of Vincenzo Pontieri(1848) son of Gaetano(Assuming sometime around 1820.)
I am hoping I can find any information on Italian paperwork that can lead to why the name was changed.

I would also like to find information on my grandpa, Antonio F. Pontiero.
He was born in 1926, he went to college in Cariati and married a women named Maria after she became pregnant. The child died, they both came to America in 1949, she hated it in the United States and moved back. My grandpa also served in the Italian Airforce.

I cant find any paper work about my grandpa regarding his first marriage in Italy, his service in the military or his ship records coming to the US in 1949.

paola52
Elite
Elite

Re: Pontiero in Terravecchia

Postby paola52 » 18 Jan 2014, 12:19

Hi
https://www.ellisisland.org/search/pass ... 410010108&

This is the Ellis Island ship manifest for Rocco Pontiero, 32, farm laborer, born in Terravecchia, next of kin wife Maria Perillo in Torrevecchia (possible misspelling for Terravecchia) last residence (can't read this because of the stamp non immigrant alien,) arrived Aug 7 1910 to join brother Gabriele in ..(can't read the script), already been twice in the US
Is this your ancestor?
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan

Pontiero

Postby Pontiero » 18 Jan 2014, 15:35

Yes that is Antonio's father. Ellis island has his records for 1910 and 1926 trips over, but can't find any paper work on his first trips over seas. Rocco had three brothers Gaetano, Gabriele and Antonio. They all went back to Italy after they worked in the US. My grandpa Antonio and his 2 brothers Vincenzo and Gaetano all stayed and passed away here in the US, my grandpa in Nebraska.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 20 Jan 2014, 19:26

Have you seen this POSSIBLE record for Rocco with INS?

U.S. Subject Index to Correspondence and Case Files of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, 1903-1959 about Rocco Pontiero

Names of Persons in Entry: Rocco Pontiero
Subject Title: Expatriation - Residence Abroad
Date: 29 Feb 1924
INS Reference Number: 15-295
Roll Content Description: Employees' Suggestion System - Fees
Roll Number: 12
Archive Publication Number: Subject Index to Correspondence and Case Files of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, 1903-1952

Explanation of this record at Ancestry...

About U.S. Subject Index to Correspondence and Case Files of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, 1903-1959

Contained in this database are case files as kept by the Immigration and Naturalization Service for various individuals pertaining to immigration, emigration, and naturalization. You can find information like surnames, port and date of entry, date of birth and whether or not they came alone or with relatives. In rare cases, there can be a very substantial abstract of the correspondence or case file in the index.
Information you may find in this index:

Surname
Date of entry
Port of entry
Date of birth
Persons accompanying the individual
Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) reference number

Image from Ancestry...
6th line down...

MAYBE this file (NARA) will provide more information :-)

T.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”