Italian Parish Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
corrado
Elite
Elite

Italian Parish Records

Postby corrado » 19 Jan 2014, 03:45

I am at a brick wall. My question is , do the parishes have in their marriage records, normally have the birth places of the bride and groom? Also in the baptismal records do they record as a note the marriage (place too) so that I can find out where my GGfathers sibs disappeared to. Also any ideas on when familyseasrch will get into NoceraInferiore and the towns of the provience of Salerno. Many thanks.

paola52
Elite
Elite

Re: Italian Parish Records

Postby paola52 » 19 Jan 2014, 09:05

Hi Corrado
Unluckily parish records vary a lot from time to time and place to place. I do a lot of research in parish archives of the Milan Diocese. In 1815-1866, when the parishes kept the vital records for the Austrian government,the records are written on pre-printed forms and are packed with info, including the place and date of the marriage of the parents and their places of birth. After that, as the new Italian State began keeping civil records at the Comuni, they gradually become more sketchy. Before 1815 there were no printed forms and the amount of info can be very different, depending on the diligence of the pastor.
I don't know how it was for Southern Italy, you need someone on site.
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Italian Parish Records

Postby Italysearcher » 19 Jan 2014, 09:33

Everything depended on the priest and how meticulous (or busy) he was. Marriages are not usually noted on the baptism records in the earlier (before 1870) years and only after 1870 if the marriage took place outside the parish. In these cases the priest would have to supply a baptism certificate for the other parish and usually noted this marriage beside the baptism since he was there anyway.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Return to “Italian Genealogy”