Roschelli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Roschelli

Postby jennketron » 20 Jan 2014, 22:50

Hello. I am new to this forum. I am trying to find info for grandfather who was born in Italy. I do not know what part of Italy he was from. I do know that he entered the states somewhere around 1919, through Ellis Island. He was born around 1906. He came with his father whom I believe was named Giuseppe and a sister possibly named Consuella. His name was Joe Roschelli. He lived most of his life in Keystone, West Virginia and later in Christiansburg, Virginia. He served for the USA in WWII. I have searched the Ellis Island immigration website and cannot find any info. Thank you for any help you can lend.
jennketron

Re: Roschelli

Postby erudita74 » 21 Jan 2014, 17:30

jennketron wrote:Hello. I am new to this forum. I am trying to find info for grandfather who was born in Italy. I do not know what part of Italy he was from. I do know that he entered the states somewhere around 1919, through Ellis Island. He was born around 1906. He came with his father whom I believe was named Giuseppe and a sister possibly named Consuella. His name was Joe Roschelli. He lived most of his life in Keystone, West Virginia and later in Christiansburg, Virginia. He served for the USA in WWII. I have searched the Ellis Island immigration website and cannot find any info. Thank you for any help you can lend.

Look at the following passenger list on Ellis Island. This Giuseppe, born abt 1908, was traveling with his father who was a Domenico (not a Giuseppe). Destination was to Kimball, W. Va., which I don't believe is that far from Keystone. He was from Nocera.

By the way, there is a surname Raschella in the town of Nocera Terinese in Cataranzo (Cosenza), Calabria. This may be the original spelling of the surname.

Erudita

First Name: Giuseppe
Last Name: Rdschilla
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Nocera, Italy
Date of Arrival: Feb 10, 1920
Age at Arrival: 12y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Duca d'Aosta
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0012
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 21 Jan 2014, 18:22

For reference above cited manifest. Note Last residence Nocera, Place of birth Gerace

Page 1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0012

Page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0012

Biff
"There are only two lasting bequests we can give our children - one is roots, and the other, wings." -- Hodding S. Carter

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Biff83
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 21 Jan 2014, 18:45

Thanks, Biff. Always multi tasking.

Gerace is a town in Reggio Calabria. The surname there may be spelled as Raschilla and in other towns in the area as Raschella.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 21 Jan 2014, 18:52

World War II Young American Patriots, 1941-1945
Name: Joe Roschelli
Branch: nited States Army
Birth Date: 17 Jul 1906
Service Date:1927
Parent Names: Mr. & Mrs. Domineck Roschelli
Spouse Name: Mrs. Minnie Newman Roschelli
State: West Virginia
County: McDowell

Biff
"There are only two lasting bequests we can give our children - one is roots, and the other, wings." -- Hodding S. Carter

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 21 Jan 2014, 19:39

Joe Roschelli Naturalization Docs

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 2060820043

Biff

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby jennketron » 27 Jan 2014, 20:04

Thank you both for this wonderful information!! I visited Ellis Island a couple of years ago and it started my need to find info about my grandfather. He died when I was around 10 years old and I never really had much opportunity to get to know him. As an adult, I wish I had that time to do over. The info you have above is correct. He was married to Minnie and my mother is listed on the service papers. Family stories tell that he had to fight against Italy close to his hometown in WWII. Is there a way to trace to see what his responsibilities were in the service or if he (I) still have living relatives in Italy? I cannot wait to share this with my mother!
jennketron

Postby Biff83 » 28 Jan 2014, 15:30

According to his listing in the WWII Young Patriots book, he served between 1927-1937 and then renenlisted in 1944. He earned the Bronze Star, 5 Battle/Campaign Stars, the Presidential Unit Citation, Good Conduct Medal, American Theatre Medal, EAME (East Africa/Meditteran/Europe) Theatre Medal. Attended Nacirs schools in Italy (I have been unable to find info on this).

I am having trouble with imageshack posting the image from the book, can someone with an Ancestry subscription please post the image since it not only includes the above info but also a picture of him. Here's the link to the page on Ancestry.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/8941/WV ... turnRecord

Biff

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 28 Jan 2014, 15:49

Jennketron,

You'll find this helpful if you want to find details on your grandfather's military service.

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/honor/ ... teran.html

Biff

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 28 Jan 2014, 18:55

Your grandfather's Army Serial Number was 06644578. If someone has a copy of his discharge numbers, it will give you details of where he served, his unit, awards, etc.

He reenlisted on 21 Apr 1944 at Fort Thomas in Newport Kentucky as a Private but most likely became an NCO quickly due to his previous service.

Biff

Biff83
Master
Master

10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy