Getting marriage and death info from Fondi, Latina (Caserta)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Enzo1958

Getting marriage and death info from Fondi, Latina (Caserta)

Postby Enzo1958 » 21 Jan 2014, 18:31

Hi,

I live in the USA and my family is originally from Fondi, Latina (once provincia di Caserta). I was able, through the City Hall of Fondi (great and helpful people) to retrieve information regarding my ancestors going back to 1799. Before that date, all records of marriages, deaths, births, were recorded and kept by the churches. I have contacted the churches of Fondi (sacerdoti), in particular the one in the "Quartiere Cardinale" (San Pietro) requesting permission to access these old records numerous times over the past two years, but I have not yet been able to recieve an answer from them. Does anyone know what the deal is with these sacerdoti? Why wont they answer? Do they need me to send them a stamped return envelope? Or do they think they are above helping someone? I'm at a loss, and aside from just going there next time I travel to Italy and personally giving them (Don Luigi Mancini in particular) a piece of my mind, I don't know what else to do? Seems like they are arrogant, dont give a hoot, or think we are beneath them. Help!

Enzo

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Getting marriage and death info from Fondi, Latina (Case

Postby adelfio » 21 Jan 2014, 18:59

I would find a relative in Fondi in the telephone book and write ask them to help you with your quest. Do you know the name of the church they used from earlier civil record on the church side of the records (right side)
You might have to hire someone to get that first church record and go from there....

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 21 Jan 2014, 20:55

I am going to assume you wrote to them in Italian.
Priests are busy people, they are not in the business of doing research, even if they know how which most don't. If you have dates, and want a copy of a record they will usually comply.
Many of these old books are not indexed. If they are, then it is often by first name of the person. Many children were baptized with one name but used another. When they marry, the act will be in the name they use daily and not the first name on their baptism record. Older records do not always supply the surname of the mother, and frequently do not provide the name of the father (Grandfather. The records are written in Italian and many priests had their own form of shorthand.
I just did a search where the priest just wrote 'ditto' for the year which was recorded several pages earlier. Parish record searches are not always easy. Records are missing due to fire, earthquake are neglect. (Settefrati) Or someone taking the book home and not returning it. (Casalvieri) In some cases the records are in such bad condition the priest won't let anyone handle them. (Cervaro)
If you really want to complete your family tree you are probably going to have to hire someone who knows what they are doing. Reads Latin (most Italians today can't) and understands the process of the search.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Enzo1958

Postby Enzo1958 » 21 Jan 2014, 21:04

Thanks, I did write him in Italian (Don Luigi) and specified names dates etc. and the priest knows me, my parents, grandparents and great grandparents. One would think he would send a kind note in return indicating what the issues are.....I'm busy....or please feel free to look through the records during your next visit ti Italy...etc..or whatever..and I do read and write in Italian and understand written Latin. And as for them being busy, I respectfully differ...if they can find time to go to parties and to the cinema, and to political gatherings, they sure can find the time to respond to an inquiry. But your points are well taken and I appreciate your suggestions. I may have to go there in person or hire someone to do the digging.

Grazie!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”