Maria or Mario

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Maria or Mario

Postby rp76226 » 10 Feb 2014, 17:55

On the Mormon Family Site, when I do a name search, I sometimes pull up male births with a middle name of "Maria" given, which is a girl's name. These are not actual birth records, but printed sheets stating the film number and index batch number. I never see "Mario" which is a true male Italian name. I'm thinking that someone read the handwriting wrong on the last letter of the actual record and the name is actually Mario. Did Italians actually use the name "Maria" for male names?
rp76226
Elite
Elite

Re: Maria or Mario

Postby Tessa78 » 10 Feb 2014, 18:03

rp76226 wrote:On the Mormon Family Site, when I do a name search, I sometimes pull up male births with a middle name of "Maria" given, which is a girl's name. These are not actual birth records, but printed sheets stating the film number and index batch number. I never see "Mario" which is a true male Italian name. I'm thinking that someone read the handwriting wrong on the last letter of the actual record and the name is actually Mario. Did Italians actually use the name "Maria" for male names?

YES :D

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 10 Feb 2014, 18:59

It was very common for males in Southern Italy, in particular, to be given Maria as a middle name. I have many in my own ancestry.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 12 Feb 2014, 11:34

My complete baptism name is Giuseppe Italo Maria...
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical searches in Italy.
Translation of your old documents and letters.
Legal assistance for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy