Brig Gen. Amedeo Liberati WWII

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Brig Gen. Amedeo Liberati WWII

Postby Liberati » 11 Feb 2014, 11:19

I am looking for information on a possible distant relative, Brig. Gen. Amedeo Liberati, who commanded the 65th "Grenadiers of Savoy" division in Ethiopia during the early stages of World War II. He surrendered to the British with the rest of the Duke of Aosta's forces in 1941 and was most likely a POW for the rest of the war. I have only found bits and pieces of information on him through online research. I think he was from central Italy, possibly from around L'Aquila. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Interested in the surnames Liberati and Gulfo. Also interested in Italy during World War II.
Liberati

Re: Brig Gen. Amedeo Liberati WWII

Postby suanj » 11 Feb 2014, 12:52

just I know that he had 2 medals in 1948:
http://www.quirinale.it/elementi/Dettag ... orato=3235
He was alive in 1952 because was a member of Rotary Club of Rieti town, nd I believe he was born in Rieti
http://www.rotary.rieti.it/index.php?op ... &Itemid=19

suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby Liberati » 11 Feb 2014, 20:36

Thank you very much for your help. This information is most useful. It is nice to know that he survived the war. It appears that Rieti is right next door to L'Aquila, which is where my line of Liberatis are originally from. That reinforces my suspicion that General Liberati is a relative of some sort - most likely a distant cousin. I guess my next step would be to try and find an obituary for General Liberati. That would most likely contain the information I need. The question is whether that could be done remotely (as I live in the United States), or if I would need to some day take a research trip to Italy to do some archival research. Any tips that you have would be most welcome. Thanks again for your help!
Interested in the surnames Liberati and Gulfo. Also interested in Italy during World War II.
Liberati

Postby Liberati » 11 Feb 2014, 21:08

One more question - if I wanted to request military records for General Liberati, how would I go about doing that? Would they be housed in a provincial archive or with the national government? Thanks again for your help!
Liberati

Postby suanj » 11 Feb 2014, 22:19

it is necessary to know the right birth place ( Commune and Province), and then to write in the Provincial Archive because normally it have the "Foglio Matricolare (military career/service)...
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby Liberati » 11 Feb 2014, 22:25

Thanks for the tip. I will work on trying to pin down his place of birth. I noticed through some online research that there is a street named after him in Rieti. That likely reinforces your hunch that he is from that area. Thanks again for all of your help!
Liberati

Postby Liberati » 12 Feb 2014, 03:08

I wonder if the Red Cross would have records on him? He was captured by the British so it is certainly a possibility. I'll have to check it out. What is the best way to contact them about something like this?
Liberati

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy