WWII Italian Prisoner of War - Francesco Gulfo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

WWII Italian Prisoner of War - Francesco Gulfo

Postby Liberati » 11 Feb 2014, 20:58

I am looking for information on a possible relative of mine, Francesco Gulfo, who I believe was a POW during World War II. His name is listed on the military monument in Bari that honors Italian soldiers from the World Wars who died in foreign lands. He was born on May 30, 1919 in Colobraro. Colobraro is where my line of Gulfos originate, which leads me to believe we are related. Anyways, he died on August 29, 1945. Since he died months after the war ended in Europe, that leads me to suspect he died as a POW in the Soviet Union (maybe he was captured at Stalingrad). According to my research, significantly more Italian POWs died in Soviet captivity than those who died in Allied custody. Nevertheless, it is still all an educated guess on my part. Any tips on how to track down information on him would be much appreciated. Also, tips on how to contact the appropriate provincial archive in Italy to request military records would also be helpful. Thanks!
Interested in the surnames Liberati and Gulfo. Also interested in Italy during World War II.
Liberati

Re: WWII Italian Prisoner of War - Francesco Gulfo

Postby Joannsalvo » 11 Feb 2014, 23:00

Check out this website:

http://www.difesa.it/Ministro/Commissar ... lture.aspx

Here is the email address to contact them:
Mail:dss.direttore@onorcaduti.difesa.it
Joannsalvo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Liberati » 11 Feb 2014, 23:36

Thanks for the tip - I found him listed on that site. What does that indicate? - sorry, my Italian is a bit rusty. If I emailed them do you think they would be able to provide some more details about Francesco? Thanks again for all of your help!
Interested in the surnames Liberati and Gulfo. Also interested in Italy during World War II.
Liberati

Postby Joannsalvo » 11 Feb 2014, 23:50

Maybe he is buried here:
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... es_sm%3D93

Luogo Sepoltura = Burial Place

BARI - SACRARIO MILITARE CADUTI "OLTREMARE" = BARI - MEMORIAL MILITARY FALLEN "OVERSEAS"
Joannsalvo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Liberati » 12 Feb 2014, 02:36

Yes - he is buried at the monument at Bari. As I mentioned, my educated guess is that he died in captivity as a POW in the Soviet Union. That would explain his date of death in August 1945. I have read that the mortality rates for POWs in American and British custody were much lower than in the a Soviet Union. Thus, I have a hard time believing he would have died in American or British custody so long after the war ended in Europe. Conversely, there were still German and Italian POWs in the Soviet Union in the 1950s. I just need to figure out how to get more information on Francesco in order to clear all of this up. Very interesting history!
Liberati

Postby PippoM » 12 Feb 2014, 12:02

I was able to receive info about my GF's detention from the Archives of Red Cross.
Unfortunately, this service is momentarily suspended:

http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/docum ... ld-war.htm
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical searches in Italy.
Translation of your old documents and letters.
Legal assistance for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Postby Liberati » 12 Feb 2014, 21:18

Thanks for the tip. If he doesn't show up in Red Cross records, that would probably suggest that he was a POW in the Soviet Union. I don't think the Soviets allowed the Red Cross access to their prison camps, but I would need to double-check. Hopefully that service will be operational again soon. Thanks again!
Liberati

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy